Debut:

Sakigake (Mk4w, 4-3, Shibatayama-beya)

Returning:

Arawashi (Mk1w, 6-1, Minezaki)

Tochihiryu (Mk2e, 4-3, Kasugano)

Takanoyama (Mk2w, 4-3, Naruto)

Sadanoumi (Mk5e, 4-3, Sakaigawa)

• Like 8

Excellent, great to see Sakigake (one of the less "standard-issue" Mongolian rikishi) take the final step and Sadanoumi finally return.

To think that, when Sadanofuji and Sadanoumi reached juryo at nearly the same time in 2010, I actually considered Sadanoumi the better one of the two. Since then, one put on 40 kg and became an immovable mountain that inexplicably survives in makuuchi, and the other wrecked his foot and went into the wilderness for two years...

Trivia note: If the DB can be trusted, Sakigake will be the 5th single-kanji sekitori in the modern era. It's also the first basho since Hatsu 1998 (and only third basho altogether in the modern era) that there will be two single-kanji sekitori at the same time - Ikioi's the other one.

And Sakigake takes third place on the "slowest to juryo" list among foreigners with 63 basho, following Oniarashi (71) and Sensho (65).

Edited by Asashosakari
  • Like 4

Great news. I'm happy for Sakigake and look forward to his bouts.

I couldn't agree more with Asashosakari about Sadanoumi and Sadanofuji. I had the same impression at the time.

I take from that that both Seiro and Higonojo have survived. As expected, it will be tough for Higonojo to survive Juryo with his sumo that has barely evolved over the last 2 years or so.

• Like 1

As expected, it will be tough for Higonojo to survive Juryo with his sumo that has barely evolved over the last 2 years or so.

I must admit he did much better than I thought he would, and right now I'm hoping he can get a little more confidence into his sumo and maybe develop into a rikishi of Sotairyu's quality level. I'd certainly rather have him in juryo the next couple of years than, say, Kimurayama...
  • Like 1

If I'm not wrong, Sakigake is the second sekitori of this stable since ex-Onokuni founded it. Great news!

0131127at44_p.jpg

I'm always amazed to see that Jimmy Page is a former yokozuna.
  • Like 3

0131127at44_p.jpg

I'm always amazed to see that Jimmy Page is a former yokozuna.

Jimmy might be pleased to look so young! Bet he would wonder why retired sumotori hardly ever go grey.

post-2783-0-32137300-1385593820_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Shibatayama-oyakata was back from a trip to Korea, he hadn't expected Sakigake to get promoted and they had the press meeting in a special waiting room at Fukuoka airport.

http://www.daily.co.jp/sumo/2013/11/28/0006531399.shtml

http://hochi.yomiuri.co.jp/sports/sumo/news/20131127-OHT1T00265.htm

06531400.jpg

20131127-224657-1-L.jpg