Sign in to follow this  
Akinomaki

YDC on the next yokozuna run

I just asked myself: what would have been different this year, if Kisenosato had already been yokozuna?

My answer: nothing.

If you would change your post into this:

I just asked myself: what would have been different this next year, if Kisenosato had already been become yokozuna?

My answer: nothing.

you would still write nothing wrong.

It kind a surprises me that not many people believe in Kisenosato nowadays. Years ago when he was a just a youngstar people often talk about his potential to be a yok and now he is so near to finally become one, people don't see it anymore? I mean the guy has improved a lot lately. I see him winning from disadvantage positions after tachi-ai constantly. Chest to chest against Hakuho would be losing position for everyone but him. Anyway Kisenosato was incredibly good in 2013. And in 2014 he will win a tournement for sure.

• Like 5

To be honest, he really only shows Yokozuna-like supremacy in maybe 4 bouts.

Much like Harumafuji in any basho in which he didn't happen to win the yusho...
  • Like 2

I just asked myself: what would have been different this year, if Kisenosato had already been yokozuna?My answer: nothing.

Chirp, chirp, chirp.

Kise doesn't have HF's speed and cunning, nor Hak's size and strength. Emotion he's got. Mobility he hasn't.

1) 'Speed' is overrated.

2) 'Cunning'? More like aggression.

3) Kise is bigger and easily as strong as Hakuho.

4) What's wrong with emotion?

5) Kise's mobility is pretty darned good for a giant man.

4) What's wrong with emotion?

I'd like to see him show more emotion and intensity, honestly. I wasn't a big Kise fan until the NHK started showing more photos of him off the dohyo, where he looked a lot more relaxed and a lot more like he enjoyed being in sumo.

• Like 1

Is it too much to ask one Yusho from Kise before make him Yokozuna?

How many are made Yok with no Yusho? Very few, I guess (Futahaguro...)

They're not going to promote Kise with no yusho. I wouldn't even be surprised if they don't promote him with one yusho.

• Like 1

Promoting him with one yusho is an Onokuni - sized bet, and I can totally see them taking that to get a Japanese Yokozuna (although I still personally think it risky).

Promoting him with zero yusho is a Futahaguro - sized bet, and I really don't see them ever taking that bet ever again.

The stare-down on day 14 was a watershed moment, in my opinion.

The Yokozuna win on a cocktail of skill plus intimidation.

Clearly, Hakuho wins an overwhelming majority of his matches before they even begin. This is awe-kido, and the greatest masters all practice it.

If an opponent convinces you that you're going to lose, what chance do you have?

However, if he fails to intimidate you....

• Like 2

I figure the whole thing went down something like this:

Kise: He hit me!

YDC: Did you hit Kise?

Haru: Yes. I hit him really hard.

YDC: You can't hit people in sumo.

Haru: Ex-Terao hit people.

Ex-Terao: I'm ex-Terao!

YDC: Well, Yokozuna don't hit people.

Haru: Asashoryu hit people all the time!

YDC: That's sort of our point...

Kise: My eye is swollen!

YDC: And that frog thing has to go. It's taunting people.

Haru: Takamisakari does something like that.

YDC: But he's Japanese. And he barely wins.

Haru: What about Kotoshogiku's back bit?

YDC: Japanese! And you can't be so fast, either.

Haru: What? But Chiyonofuji was fast!

YDC: Exactly. We don't...

Chiyonofuji: Hey, I forgot my bento at home. Give me your lunch money.

YDC: Here you go, sir!

Haru: That was awesome!

Why do i always run out of likes at times like this? Great stuff :)

Nice discussion. A lot of could haves and would haves and ifs and buts and imagine and what would happen ifs.

Except this isn't fortune telling or destiny. This is reality. Speed, cunning, power, mentality- all very nice.

I will state the obvious- he has to win. He has to not lose. Let him get that yusho finally already, let him go 14-1 or whatever-THEN we can SPECULATE if he's worthy, because he has to continue to do it. So far, he is not, going by what happened in real life. Simple as that. He is not worthy of becoming a Yokozuna. There are criteria (more or less, and any way you look at it he still doesn't even meet the "less" part yet..) he needs to meet.. Theoretically? Theoretically I'm the next Brad Pitt. Beating Hakuhou on a 50-50 basis is very nice. Losing on day 3 to Aminishiki and on day 7 to Goueidou (just examples from last basho) is not and will not get you promoted even if you beat all the Y's and O's every single basho. 4 consecutive jun-yushos are commendable-he is a great Ozeki. That small step is needed. There is no use comparing him to Harumafuji- maybe Harumafuji is a lesser warrior than Kisenosato, but he met the criteria. Kisenosato still hasn't.

• Like 3

Kise never missed a match in his entire career.

Then we must promote him immediately. Together with Kakuryuu. And Tochiouzan.And Kitataiki. And a few others. He also never said Shalom. That should be worth something.

Then we must promote him immediately. Together with Kakuryuu. And Tochiouzan.And Kitataiki. And a few others. He also never said Shalom. That should be worth something.

We? You guys really do control the whole world.

No, not us the Jews, us-you and I of course.

• Like 2

No, not us the Jews, us-you and I of course.

I hope you know that I was just kidding around.

• Like 1

And again I say, in agreement with Kinta's assessment (if I read it correctly): Kise is a latter-day Kaio. And there's nothing wrong with that.

And again I say, in agreement with Kinta's assessment (if I read it correctly): Kise is a latter-day Kaio. And there's nothing wrong with that.

Until proven otherwise of course - his numbers are quite impressive- he just can't seem to string them together to move on. I still think there is hope, if he stays healthy and gets on with it. Time doth stop not for anyone, as they say in Corsica.

The difference being that Kaio actually won 5 yusho, a feat that seems very unlikely for Kise.

The difference being that Kaio actually won 5 yusho, a feat that seems very unlikely for Kise.

Kaio was older at the time of his first yusho than Kisenosato is now.

Kaio was particularly unlucky during tsuna run tournaments (back pain and injuries). Kisenosato is in top shape now, but the most difficult is before him : win a makuuchi tournament. With a 8 years weaning for japanese audience, pressure would be terrible.

I'm just wondering... If Kise actually wins a tournament, it might be the worst thing he ever did.... Expectations and all.

Maybe sometimes it's better to be Jack, and not the Beanstock?

If Kise actually wins a tournament, it might be the worst thing he ever did....

Sorry, but that is BS, sir. Winning a yusho is never a bad thing, regardless of the circumstances. Who remebers the countless ozeki who could never win a yusho (except the specific fans of them)? On the other hand, do you remember Takatoriki? I do, not only because he is the son-in-law of Taiho, but also he is a yusho winner.

And thre will allways be talks and other stuff aboud good performing japanese rikishi. And when you have the choice between talks about you with a yusho and talks about you without a yusho, what would you choose?

• Like 1