Sign in to follow this  
Akinomaki

Kyushu Basho 2013 discussion thread

Hakuho already secured this years most wins with his 70th today, most of the year for 7 years in a row.

• Like 1

Did Endo actually have no tape on him, or was I watching the wrong video? (couldn't have - all those voices calling "Endo!") I was expecting a mummy, or something. Watching the video, I momentarily confused him with Toyohibiki, because T was the one with all the tape.

• Like 1

Kisenosato made a good start : he was in a bad position but he remainde unruffled, rectified it. Few months ago, he would probably lost this kind of bout.

• Like 1

Harumafuji and Kisenosato have 56 wins and can't surpass Hakuho even when they win all the rest and Hakuho not one more. “One goal for this year reached.”

He again hasn't done that much keiko before the basho (he wanted to go to Goeido – no news about his keiko): “About 80% - I'll complete the 100% during the basho.”

Keiko partner Daikiho: “The pressure by the yokozuna gets still more fierce after nakabi (day 8).” He aims to reach his peak in the last third.

On day 2 he goes for his 500th win as yokozuna and with 7 more he gets 700 makuuchi wins.

http://mainichi.jp/sports/news/20131111k0000m050049000c.html

• Like 1

Can’t believe 2 ōzeki are already 1 down. Ōsunaarashi and Endō not starting well, either.

Musashikuni won his first bout at least.

Toyonoshima is sort of his nemesis, so small that Kotooshu has never really known what to do with him but I still saw disappointment on Kotooshu's face to start the basho with a loss like that.

Big sumo fan Paul plans to watch in Fukuoka after 20 years again, on the 15th

Asakayama-oyakata: “I heard nothing” - surely PR for coming to the basho on that day

http://www.sponichi.co.jp/entertainment/news/2013/11/10/kiji/K20131110006984740.html

G20131110006984420_view.jpg

I remember him being deported from Japan for drug possession. Perhaps someone in the NSK remembered also?

I don't know if it's my imagination but Kotooshu looked more depressed than usual after his loss today, i hope he gets his eight wins and keeps his rank, too many people injured or left, i don't like change! :)

Edited by Bugman
  • Like 1

I expect this to be another basho totally dominated by Hakuho. The yokozuna is an exceptional rikishi, brilliant in every way, but I have to say that his dominance is becoming a bit boring now. The arrival of Endo on the scene sparked some excitement, but he is injured this basho (even if he is competing) so not much can be expected of him.

Edited by Kaioshoryu

Some years from now we'll be sayin "look, in my time we had Hakuho and I watched him fight" - we're seeing history, maybe a once on a lifetime event, and his name is Hakuho.

The Endou's fight was strange - he's not ok.

Edited by bettega
  • Like 1

Big sumo fan Paul plans to watch in Fukuoka after 20 years again, on the 15th

Asakayama-oyakata: “I heard nothing” - surely PR for coming to the basho on that day

http://www.sponichi.co.jp/entertainment/news/2013/11/10/kiji/K20131110006984740.html

G20131110006984420_view.jpg

I remember him being deported from Japan for drug possession. Perhaps someone in the NSK remembered also?

he spent 9 days in lock-up AFAIK. Now comes back as a state guest, no need for passport. That's how he gets round the drug charge from the 80s or whenever.

His attendance at the basho has been known by the NSK for months.

Some years from now we'll be sayin "look, in my time we had Hakuho and I watched him fight" - we're seeing history, maybe a once on a lifetime event, and his name is Hakuho.

I agree, it is a privilege to watch Hak compete. I would love for him to have some more competition, but for that you would need someone as good as he is, which is unlikely...

I agree, it is a privilege to watch Hak compete. I would love for him to have some more competition, but for that you would need someone as good as he is, which is unlikely...

The sad thing is, that sooner or later, he'll retire. And when he does, we'll probably realize that we'll have a Hakuho-shaped gap in our heart, as we are watching some otherwise really good rikishi fail to fill his shoes. :-(

Just look at Harumafuji to get an idea of what his successors will likely face.

Pretty win-loss records can overcome a lot of fond memories. ;-) Remove Hakuho from the equation and replace him with a pushover M4 opponent, and Kisenosato's records for the year look like this:

Hatsu 11-4

Haru 11-4

Natsu 14-1

Nagoya 11-4

Aki 12-3

It wouldn't take that much for him to step up to regular credible yusho challenger at that point, and ditto for Harumafuji (if he can outlast Hakuho, which admittedly looks unlikely). We'll be waiting a while for somebody who makes it look as effortless as Hakuho does, but I'm pretty sure most yusho will still be won with 13-2 or better when he's gone, and there will be plenty enough (positive) talking points even in a post-Hakuho world.

• Like 5

I miss Asashouryuu... not sure how long he would have been around even if he hadn't punched out his nightclub owner friend or whatever but... the makuuchi yusho races were almost always interesting until the final senshuraku match when the two of them were competing.

• Like 1

Considering Asashoryu's last six records were 11-4, 12-3, 10-5, 14-1, 11-4, 13-2, I dare say he went out right before he would have turned into what Harumafuji is today - a credible challenger to Hakuho on the dohyo (head to head), but usually not on the hoshitori. I don't think we missed out on much there, quite honestly.

Edit: Incidentally, the yusho races in those last six tournaments:

Haru 2009 - Hakuho two wins clear of Asashoryu after Day 13, three wins ahead after Day 14

Natsu 2009 - Hakuho and Harumafuji tied after Day 14, Asashoryu and Kisenosato (!) one win behind

Nagoya 2009 - Hakuho one win ahead of Kotooshu (!!) after Day 14, Asashoryu three wins behind Hakuho

Aki 2009 - Asashoryu one win ahead of Hakuho after Day 14

Kyushu 2009 - Hakuho two wins clear of Asashoryu (and Toyonoshima and Tochinoshin) after Day 13, yusho decided after Day 14 (Hak and Shin won, Toyo and Asa lost...Asa three wins behind now)

Hatsu 2010 - Asashoryu two wins clear of Hakuho after Day 13, yusho decided the next day (both won)

Meh, not a lot of yusho race suspense to be seen there. Three musubi yusho decisions, sure, but in two of them Asashoryu was reduced to the role of potential spoiler, and Harumafuji and Kotooshu had done the heavy lifting in the yusho race instead. Doubt the next year would have been any better, considering Hakuho (albeit in absence of Asashoryu) went on his 88-2 tear right after this.

Edited by Asashosakari

Hakuho also lost 3 of those last 6 tournaments Asashoryu was in. Two of those losses were to Asashoryu. Even if he was turning into another Harumafuji, the tournaments were more interesting with Asashoryu in them.

Emphasis on were. If you want to make the IMHO unrealistic assumption that this would have continued much beyond Hatsu 2010, I can't stop you, but I find it a little bit absurd to mark down the last few years for not measuring up to an alternative scenario that had little to no chance of happening.

I actually hope Hakuho stays in for at least a bit of his decline phase, just so people realize what they didn't lose with Asashoryu's sudden exit.

(Thought experiment: Consider how differently you would be thinking of Kaio's career if he had called it quits in 2005.)

Edited by Asashosakari
  • Like 2

Terunofuji just attempted a jikan-mae in his bout against Asasekiryuu, who was not playing.. Either he was totally befuddled and made a mistake, or this was some sort of strategy, as he won the ensuing bout quite easily..

anyone noticed that from 2008.11 hakuho took alternate yusho with losing 3 times so a fellow mongolian in a ketteisen?

for me a non-hakuho-yusho at that time was only possible with "courtesy of hakuho"

Hmmm... Osunaarashi seems to be heading towards a close encounter with his wall... :-(

Kotoshogiku will probably be gone on Day 3. Looked like he may have had a minor shoulder dislocation.

Day 1: 4971 spectators, 503 more than last year, but no full house announced (80% or more filled is the yardstick for that). Apart from low attendance in Kyushu the local red clay for the dohyo is a problem. Too soft and uneven – Hakuho says: “This basho is dangerous.”

http://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/news/2013/11/11/kiji/K20131111006987780.html

Endo was relieved yesterday that he could use his injured foot better than expected.

Today he had again 3 kensho on his bout, again the most among the hiramaku rikishi.

http://www.daily.co.jp/sumo/2013/11/11/0006488148.shtml

http://www.tokyo-sports.co.jp/sports/sumou/203424/

• Like 1

Hmmm... Osunaarashi seems to be heading towards a close encounter with his wall... :-(

The word Impatient came to my mind while watching his first two makuuchi bouts.

We'll see but Harumafuji seems to be very genki for this tournament. His way to move is swift. I think he could be a serious opponent for the yusho race.