Sign in to follow this  
Akinomaki

Kyushu Basho 2013 discussion thread

I think Goeido's thoughts for an Ozeki run are fading, once again... The veterans did real damage to his chances. I have to say, however, that if you want to be an Ozeki, Aminishiki and Kyokutenho are the guys that you should really beat on a steady basis (he is 13-11 vs Aminishiki total, 3-3 in the last year and 11-6 against Kyokutenho, but 3-3 in their last six bouts). If you lose every other bout against the good maegashira mainstays, you can't make Ozeki.

I was also eager to see Myogiryu's first non-Ozeki/Yokozuna bout this basho, and he didn't disappoint, even though Shohozan is not his usual aggresive self (maybe he's feeling guilty over the two kyujo Ozeki?). Anyway, I hope Myogiryu can pick up his pace now that he's over with the big guns and get back to sanyaku, where I think he belongs.

Finally, Osunaarashi proved to me today that, while he still has a lot to learn in fighting the experienced Makuuchi folk, he can still handle his own age and experience group. Not to be underestimated, because it shows a good mentality. As for Endo, he's obviously injured, so can't really judge him on his failure to compete at this level.

• Like 1

Day 5: 3613 spectators - no Paul-effect

Flustered Harumafuji also would have liked to be photographed with him.

http://www.sanspo.com/sports/news/20131115/sum13111505020001-n1.html

Maybe that frustration led to this ?

Harumafuji is apparently a rather nasty individual. He clearly made it a point to push on Takayasu's neck when standing up after the bout.

and it was more than that, best as i could tell he intentionally jumped/fell on Takayasu pretty well after the bout was over. is there some sort of particular dislike or grudge there?

mmnikkan_P2013111404476.jpg

• Like 3

Isegahama head shimpan is kyujo till the end of the basho – he went to a hospital because of poor health.

The diagnosis was not published, but Isegahama-oykata is in hospital to check for a suspected stroke (revealed by some connection). He went there by taxi after complaining of nausea in the morning.

Not a stroke, a blocked blood vessel between the brain and the spinal cord because of too much neutral fat (arteriosclerosis) - 2 weeks rest are necessary.

http://www.nikkansports.com/sports/sumo/news/p-sp-tp3-20131115-1218438.html

• Like 1

Masunoyama because of steady care had kept winning till day 5 in spite of lower back pain. His relief about the heart being OK gives him self-confidence - and fires him up. The doctor had told him: “You won't die from doing sumo.”

The improved breathing techniques - to counter the handicap of the small lungs and other unclear reasons for his so far 20sec. action limit - lead to mental calmness - and visibly give him more power. Rarely scenes like before where he nearly couldn't walk anymore after a bout and only gasped.

http://sankei.jp.msn.com/sports/news/131114/mrt13111420140002-n1.htm

http://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/news/2013/11/15/kiji/K20131115007013020.html

"I can't bend my knee," said Kotoyuuki as he was whisked to the hospital in an ambulance. "We'll wait for the diagnosis and decide together tomorrow morning," said Sadogatake Oyakata, using the secret words that scream "KYUJO!!!" Regarding the fact that three Sadogatake rikishi are now injured, added the Oyakata."Before the basho everyone was in great shape. I was sure it was going to be a great basho.."

If he does go kyujo, it would be the first time since Aki 1946 (actually the only tournament held that year..) that three rikishi from the same heya go kyujo during a basho. It happened then at Isegahama beya when Yokozuna Terukuni, Komusubi Bishuuyama and Wakasegawa went kyujo.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 7

The improved breathing techniques - to counter the handicap of the small lungs and other unclear reasons for his so far 20sec. action limit - lead to mental calmness - and visibly give him more power. Rarely scenes like before where he nearly couldn't walk anymore after a bout and only gasped.

His matches were short. I'd like to see him in an over-25 second bout..

"I can't bend my knee," said Kotoyuuki as he was whisked to the hospital in an ambulance. "We'll wait for the diagnosis and decide together tomorrow morning,"said Sadogatake Oyakata, using the secret words that scream "KYUJO!!!" Regarding the fact that three Sadogatake rikishi are now injured, added the Oyakata." Before the basho everyone was in great shape. I was sure it was going to be a great basho.." If he does go kyujo, it would be the first time since Aki 1946 that three rikishi from the same heya go kyujo during a basho. It happened at Isegahama beya when Yokozuna Terukuni, Komusubi Bishuuzan and Wakasegawa went kyujo.

Someone should put Kotomisen in a protective glass case, just as a precaution. They are fast running out of sekitori :-(

• Like 3

Kotoyūki honestly brought it to himself, though… he should learn from Kyokutenhō.

Still very saddening, really a cursed basho… not even the current great form of both yokozuna makes it enjoyable.

Tokushoryu was cautioned for the extra push to the belly of the collapsed Kotoyuuki.

http://hochi.yomiuri.co.jp/sports/sumo/news/20131115-OHT1T00145.htm

5 Basho posters from this year will be in an advertisement photography competition thanks to their artistic qualities.

http://www.nikkansports.com/sports/sumo/news/f-sp-tp3-20131115-1218694.html

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 3

"I can't bend my knee," said Kotoyuuki as he was whisked to the hospital in an ambulance. "We'll wait for the diagnosis and decide together tomorrow morning,"said Sadogatake Oyakata, using the secret words that scream "KYUJO!!!" Regarding the fact that three Sadogatake rikishi are now injured, added the Oyakata." Before the basho everyone was in great shape. I was sure it was going to be a great basho.." If he does go kyujo, it would be the first time since Aki 1946 that three rikishi from the same heya go kyujo during a basho. It happened at Isegahama beya when Yokozuna Terukuni, Komusubi Bishuuzan and Wakasegawa went kyujo.

Someone should put Kotomisen in a protective glass case, just as a precaution. They are fast running out of sekitori :-(

Not needed. Kotomisen's sumo will quickly send him back out of sekitorihood.

Not needed. Kotomisen's sumo will quickly send him back out of sekitorihood.

I have no problem with him out of sekitorihood, I have a problem with the possibility of him (or anyone else) outside the dohyo...

• Like 1

Hochiyama at Sd7w went to 4-0 on Day 7 ending a six basho losing streak. A fire is still smoldering there.

• Like 2

So it looks like this basho is potentially going to go down as one where we see a changing of the guard. Kotooshu's tenure as Ozeki is over, and Kotoshogiku has an injury with an average of three months healing time, meaning he could be struggling to get back to a point where he can win eight in January. I'm not sure I see either of them winning the ten required to make it back to Ozeki. So we could potentially have a situation in a couple of basho where there are only two Ozeki. I suspect Osh will follow the Baruto path and go intai, but I'm not sure about the Geek.

Given that there is now less competition at the top, and there are a number of younger quality rikishi coming through the ranks, I'm interested in who now makes the next step and why? Without the six Ozeki log jam we had 18 months ago, the potential exists for one or two of the current top rankers to step up. So does this mean veteran rikishi like Goeido, Toyonoshima, Tochiozan and Aminishki, who are perennial Komosubi / M1 level rikishi can now finally have a crack at an Ozeki run? Or will they be bypassed by the younger guys like Ikioi, Chiyotairyu, Myogiryu, and I think this is jumping the gun for both of them, but Osunaarashi and Endo? Or someone else? Who is the next Ozeki?

• Like 3

Hochiyama at Sd7w went to 4-0 on Day 7 ending a six basho losing streak. A fire is still smoldering there.

Hochiyama's career is a bit weird with spectacular up and downs. I always like this rikishi and hope he could return to the top!

Edited by Tony

Day 6: 3939 spectators - going towards the weekend figures.

http://www.sanspo.com/sports/news/20131116/sum13111605030002-n1.html

Was Hakuho prophetic ?

Day 1: 4971 spectators - Apart from low attendance in Kyushu the local red clay for the dohyo is a problem. Too soft and uneven – Hakuho says: “This basho is dangerous.”

http://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/news/2013/11/11/kiji/K20131111006987780.html

I can't remember a basho I enjoyed less.

• Like 1

Nevertheless, audience is very warm, much more than in Tokyo, Osaka or Nagoya.

• Like 1

Yeah, It was nice to see Homasho get so much crowd support.

Day 5: 3613 spectators - no Paul-effect

Flustered Harumafuji also would have liked to be photographed with him.

http://www.sanspo.com/sports/news/20131115/sum13111505020001-n1.html

Maybe that frustration led to this ?

Harumafuji is apparently a rather nasty individual. He clearly made it a point to push on Takayasu's neck when standing up after the bout.

and it was more than that, best as i could tell he intentionally jumped/fell on Takayasu pretty well after the bout was over. is there some sort of particular dislike or grudge there?

mmnikkan_P2013111404476.jpg

I'm no longer surprised by stuff like this from Harumafuji.

• Like 1

@Morty: I don’t know why you think that of Kotoshōgiku. His past 3 tournaments average 10 wins (11-9-10), I don’t see how he’d have a problem getting them at sekiwake.

@Morty: I don’t know why you think that of Kotoshōgiku. His past 3 tournaments average 10 wins (11-9-10), I don’t see how he’d have a problem getting them at sekiwake.

I said that because I figured he be won't take the proper time off to heal and so will be trying to do it carrying an injury (because he'll enter the January basho and aggravate it). Baruto couldn't do it like that, I'm not sure I can see Giku doing it. Even though I would love to see him retain his rank - he's one of my favourite rikishi.

Despite that though, and I hate to say this at the expense of the guys with the injuries because I like them all, I'm kind of excited to see what happens when a few slots open up at the top...

That slot-opening would depend on Osh and Giku actually dropping out of the top 16 though (or outright going intai). As long as they remain in the mix the level of competition at the top won't change much, and so it wouldn't be any easier for Goeido et al. to get promoted.

• Like 4

While leaving in good mood, Ōsunaarashi was told by guard-duty Sekinoto-oyakata that he had done the wrong gesture when receiving the kensho: “Suimasen” (sorry) – with a bitter smile.

He had done his 3rd matta this basho, that qualifies for cautioning tomorrow at the referee department, which a sewanin told him: “Wakarimashita” (understood) - with a meek expression.

http://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/news/2013/11/16/kiji/K20131116007025580.html

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1

Masunoyama last year in Nagoya had 3 losses after 5 wins, recovered and finished with 11 wins.

In mid basho now because of fatigue he can't sleep, he wanted to skip asa-geiko because being totally exhausted. Mentally he admits to be still very weak.

http://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/news/2013/11/16/kiji/K20131116007019970.html

http://www.nikkansports.com/sports/sumo/news/f-sp-tp3-20131115-1218745.html