Sign in to follow this  
Akinomaki

Kyushu Basho 2013 discussion thread

Watching the crowd go bananas when Kise won, really makes me wonder what would happen with the popularity of ozumo in Japan with some more japanese success stories...

Watching the crowd go bananas when Kise won, really makes me wonder what would happen with the popularity of ozumo in Japan with some more japanese success stories...

If Kisenosato could lose ONE less fight to lesser rikishi...

Takanoyama tottari totally owned Higonojo for his senshuraku kachikoshi and return to Juryo!

• Like 2

Yokozuna-run starts.

When did we last have such a clean kore-yori-sanyaku? 2 sekiwake, 2 ozeki, 2 yokozuna.

Ishiura looks much smaller with a mage – fine result with 6-1: next basho in the makushita top 15 and in reach of juryo. I expect him to get there next year, but even with my overoptimistic view of my favorite rikishi didn't expect him to rise that fast in makushita.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrloPw25gcc

Urutora at last got one ultra-win today

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpnIfk412qk

Edited by Akinomaki

The Harumafuji-Hakuho bout like before that the Tochinowaka-Shohozan bout had an odd finish – both looked in the end like they lost interest after it was clear the other had stepped out way before, very anticlimactic.

The Harumafuji-Hakuho bout like before that the Tochinowaka-Shohozan bout had an odd finish – both looked in the end like they lost interest after it was clear the other had stepped out way before, very anticlimactic.

That's because Kimura Shonosuke was tapping them on the back trying to get them to stop. He called it as soon as Hak stepped out, but had some trouble getting their attention.

I hope Urutora's OK. He looks as if he hurt his back getting that win.

Edited by Kuroyama

Technically, Harumafuji lost to Toyonoshima on day 4.

Come on... sometimes it is enough.

Will there be any yokozuna (or top rikishi) who can satisfy your demands? Hakuhos elbow... Harumafujis shoves... Kisenosatos tachiai antics...

Next basho, next rant...

Technically, Harumafuji lost to Toyonoshima on day 4.

Come on... sometimes it is enough.

Will there be any yokozuna (or top rikishi) who can satisfy your demands? Hakuhos elbow... Harumafujis shoves... Kisenosatos tachiai antics...

Next basho, next rant...

I just wanted to see a three-way playoff. That's all.

i really enjoyed this basho, glad that Haru finally won a basho again

hope Kise can show that great sumo next basho,

if he gets another 13-2 without winning the yusho will he still be promoted to yokozuna ?

and can someone tell why the crown laughed during the interview ?

I really doubt, that they promote someone to yokozuna without at least one yusho, despite how many jun-yushos he may have. A second yokuzuna without a single yusho would not looking good.

i really enjoyed this basho, glad that Haru finally won a basho again

hope Kise can show that great sumo next basho,

if he gets another 13-2 without winning the yusho will he still be promoted to yokozuna ?

I can't see it happening without a yusho first. But I reckon one will be enough

and can someone tell why the crown laughed during the interview

Seconded.

The finale was a little anti-climatic after the drama leading up to it, but it was nice to see Harumafuji win again. He should probably retire. Anyway, I'll admit, I was pretty drunk by the time the award ceremonies happened, because we had three fewer guests than expected and yet those bottles of Hakutsuru weren't going to drink themselves, but it looked like Hakuho won an award. Can anyone tell me what that was about?

That's because Kimura Shonosuke was tapping them on the back trying to get them to stop. He called it as soon as Hak stepped out, but had some trouble getting their attention.

Wasn't it a dislocated shoulder ?

Wonderful news for Harumafuji! I'm glad to see him back in good shape. I'm very impressed (one more time) by Kisenosato's bout. He reversed decision cleverly and calmly.

It may have been when Harumafuji described how, when he realized Hakuho stopped battling, he thought that he (Harumafuji) must have stepped out.

Edited by D-chan

Unexpected and that's what is great about this basho to me, the three of them kept it interesting until the final day. This is all I really ask for as a fan, that it isn't decided by day 13 and looking like it has been decided by even earlier. Harumafuji and Kisenosato being regular challengers for the yusho would be great.

• Like 1

;_;

Hakuhō will be west yokozuna again in January… I get the feeling he didn’t train enough prior to this basho.

I guess Hakuhō won’t be looking to tie Chiyonofuji’s 8 yūshō in a row in the same basho record next year.

Edit: now that I think about it, you could say that Harumafuji has won the yūshō all 3 times he was in top form, the two zenshō as ōzeki and this basho as yokozuna. He was always taped up the other times as a yokozuna, will be interesting to see if he’s in top form for the hatsu basho…

Edited by ALAKTORN

Day 14: very full house with 6986 spectators

http://www.sanspo.com/sports/news/20131124/sum13112405030002-n1.html

Yokozuna with a 13-2 yusho next basho.

Except jonokuchi all lower divisions were won by former sekitori.

Paul's kensho got again applause as they started the last group of kensho on their way around the dohyo. The announcement got a bit of applause as well, they were called as the last ones.

Yes, horrible henka from Osuna with a just punishment from Kaisei (maybe the meeker rikishi from all)

• Like 1

Under the "What If" banner: Would a healthy Osh and Giku have possibly made a difference in the yusho race? In this basho, both Yoks were on fire, so maybe not. And Kise (in this tournament) would have steamrolled over both of them.

And it's fun to watch HF. He knows exactly what he wants to do, and he's way faster than Hak. Great execution, great lateral movement and footwork, was not a henka as they met chest-to-chest, just a case of speed beating strength.

Except for the incredible number of face-plants and ice skating, this IMHO was a really good basho. Enjoyed all of it.

I just found a clever line, so I'd like to share:

Kotooshu, Kotoshogiku and Kotoyuki are all kototoast.

That's it. Move along.

Maybe their Heya could use a nice new Kotopaint?

Or maybe some new Kotomanycolors mawashi?

In the case of Osh, he might need a new kotoarms.

Wasn't it a dislocated shoulder ?
I don't know; was it? I hadn't heard. It's just that he seemed to be having some trouble straightening up.

And it's fun to watch HF. He knows exactly what he wants to do, and he's way faster than Hak. Great execution, great lateral movement and footwork, was not a henka as they met chest-to-chest, just a case of speed beating strength.

Maybe his trouble was all that pressure to do "yokozuna style" big-man sumo, when he's not a big man and didn't get to be yokozuna by pretending he was. When he tries it he's unsuccessful and gets hurt. By sticking with his strengths, he wins. Edited by Kuroyama

It looked like Urutora's arm was hanging limp as he accepted his win and then left the dohyo.