Sign in to follow this  
shumitto

Consecutive Basho at Sekiwake (Goeido)

Goeido at sekiwake  

25 members have voted

1. 1. How will Goeido Sekiwake stint end ?

• Ozeki promotion
    • Demotion to either Komusubi or the Maegashira ranks
    • Other (intai...)
  2. 2. Will he break Kaio's record

• Yes
    • Tie (13 Basho)
    • No

A very manual query on the database yields that the record-holder for most consecutive Basho at Sekiwake is former Ozeki Kaio. He stayed there a total of 13 basho, from 01.1995 down to 01.1997, when a 6-9 record saw the current Asakayama-Oyakata return to the Maegashira ranks.

With 11 wins, Goeido is now certain to add the 10th consecutive, 11th overall sekiwake-basho to his tally. How will it end for him ?

I think he will return to the Maegashira ranks, and further down the road, if at all, make his push to Ozeki and he won't break Kaio's record.

Edited by shumitto

Honestly I see a depletion on ozeki ranks coming sooner than Goeido's form waning. I expect it to be a matter of time until the competition gets softer and he can finally notch up those 32/33 wins.

Goeido has had some help/luck during his sekiwake streak, in that he's posted two mk records during it and not been demoted from the rank. Kaio's 13 consecutive were all due to kks.

• Like 1

With strong contenders coming up, I guess he won't make it to Ozeki before he gets demoted to at least Komusubi again, but it will still take a couple of basho, so he will break Kaio's record, though he indeed has been rather fortunate to have stayed on the Sekiwake level all this time.

Edited by Vikanohara

Goeido would be to take an advantage of the number's reduction of ozeki. His sumo is pleasant to watch (go forward and skillful).