Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

Aran talking retirement? Yes. Retired.

Aran finished the Aki basho with 12 losses. His heya is folding and the guys are moving to Kasugano. "I'm finished with sumo. It's enough, isn't it?" he said cryptically. "Being a rikishi, when your condition is bad you become weak and tend to speak of retirement. I'd like him to keep on gambarizing.." said the retiring Mihogaseki Oyakata.

Edited by Kintamayama

Aran finished the Aki basho with 12 losses. His heya is folding and the guys are moving to Kasugano. "I'm finished with sumo. It's enough, isn't it?" he said cryptically. "Being a rikishi, when your condition is bad you become weak and tend to speak of retirement. I'd like him to keep on gambarizing.." said the retiring Mihogaseki Oyakata.

He can't retire, he's the most popular rikishi in sumo today...

• Like 12

Where?

Where?

Here, of course :-)

Oddly enough, earlier in the year I actually suspected he might quit when the stable closes, but his "I'm looking forward to keiko with all the sekitori at Kasugano"-type comments before the basho convinced me that I was just seeing ghosts. Dunno what to think now...

Aran is.... Aran. You'll never know what happens.... Henka or surprisingly good Sumo when you don't expect it at all.

His lacklustre perfomance in Aki might be an indication for retirement, but again.... you'll never know.

Ganzohnesushi

Aran is a character. Like a cowboy from an old-time 'Western' movie. He says a lot of things.

Maybe he also henka'ed on this talk about intai...?

Edited by kuroimori
  • Like 2

In all seriousness, its will not be an easy transition for him, to go to Kasugano. He has been the heya-gashira and sole sekitori of a tiny heya for so long...

Now he has to go to a much larger stable, with lots of sekitori and, of course, without his shisho. I wouldn't be so surprised if he finds that change in his life to be overwhelming and opt-out, even if he is only 29..

• Like 3

Aran has handed in his papers and retired. :-O

indeed - confirmed it seems by solid source close to the action.

Wow! Another well timed henka - one of the last chances, now what is left is to pull a henka on the scissors...

(or sneaking out of Japan with his topknot?)

Wait a min, how does that bode for the banzuke, an empty spot, or they will move guys up, one more promotion into makuuchi and juryo? someone gets lucky in makushita...

Wait a min, how does that bode for the banzuke, an empty spot, or they will move guys up, one more promotion into makuuchi and juryo? someone gets lucky in makushita...

Well, banzuke should already been made a few days after the end of last basho, so it should be a blank spot if I am not mistaken.

There will be no blank spot, I suppose. He will appear on the banzuke as usual, as retired rikishi do when they retire after the banzuke has been made.

I really don't care that much about what happens behind the curtains, so to speak, but in this case I am a bit curious to know the facts lying behind his untimely intai apart from the "nagging back pain" kind of stuff intended for public consumption.

Edited by shumitto

There will be no blank spot, I suppose. He will appear on the banzuke as usual, as retired rikishi do when they retire after the banzuke has been made.

I really don't care that much about what happens behind the curtains, so to speak, but in this case I am a bit curious to know the facts lying behind his untimely intai apart from the "nagging back pain" kind of stuff intended for public consumption.

I doubt there is any significant back story. Aran came into sumo not that long ago, had a meteoric rise, hit the wall at the jo'i, and cruised his way in and out of the jo'i ever after with, apparently, minimal effort. He had a very steady life in sumo all those years, in a small heya, with absolutely no internal competition. All in all, he had a pretty "easy" sumo life (he became heya-gashira only a year after coming to Japan).

Now that is over, and he had to move to a different stable, to a more competitive environment and a significantly different lifestyle. I guess he wasn't willing to make the effort to re-establish himself there, or he just felt that he wouldn't be happy where he was going.

Both shisho, Mihogaseki- and (just for a few days) Kasugano-oyakata with Aran at the intai press conference
He wanted to quit together with the oyakata and go back to Russia, coaching amateurs (he was world champion), his family has already returned there.
For several year he is plagued by an oral disease and has lost about 30kg since 2010 Aki, when he was sekiwake.
“My physical condition is bad, getting thin and no strength, no spirit. For a about a year and a half I thought I want to quit.”
Mihogaseki had urged him to go on in Kasugano-beya and said: “What a waste (if you quit)”.
No date for the danpatsu-shiki yet.
0131008at37_p.jpg

sum13100811440003-p1.jpg

sum13100811440003-p2.jpg

TKY201310080249.jpg

k-sp-1008-0010-ns-big.jpg

G20131008006772990_view.jpg

06404011.jpg

• Like 1

I have to look twice... (Scratching chin...) Aran without his three-day beard... was hard to recognize

• Like 1

The moment I looked at this thread for the first I searched wikipedia and found this (about his oral cancer).

2008年12月、左ほおの内側部分に3cmほどの悪性腫瘍(口腔癌)が見つかり、手術した。

It gives no source and neither have I found anything else online, so I didn't bring it up and forgot about it altogether.

But in the light of the has been said about the weight has lost, there is a connection.

I just hope he gets better.

The moment I looked at this thread for the first I searched wikipedia and found this (about his oral cancer).

It gives no source and neither have I found anything else online

What about the forum thread on Aran beating illness?

Edited by Akinomaki

It gives no source and neither have I found anything else online

What about the forum thread on Aran beating illness?

It wasn't a very good search then. :-D But I looked the Japanese papers though the only sources were blogs and the like.

Sad year, we lost two very interesting sumo wrestlers. Aran and Baruto.

in my short time with sumo I learn to like both (in different ways)