Sign in to follow this  
Asojima

Aki 13 Comments

Full house on day 8 with 10482 spectators – again full house today, a holiday

The papers are full of articles about the yobimodoshi. Hakuho has studied videos of Wakanohana I, who very much impressed him, to be able to do it. So far each time he tried it at a basho it only came out as a sukuinage.

About Wakanohana I, focus on the yobimodoshi.

• Like 6

^3:30 (more or less translation) interviewer: it will be sad not being able to see your yobimodoshi anymore. Wakanohana I: well someone else who’ll be able to do it will come out. Interviewer: that’s true isn’t it.

They were wrong. xD

• Like 1

Asahisho injured his left elbow in the match with Shotenro (kimedashi!) and had an examination at the sumo clinic in the kokugikan. “It made a snapping sound. It's not just a simple thing with the pain. If it's no good I'll go kyujo.”

Chiyotairyu is maybe the sole rikishi who before the bout doesn't do warming-up exercises in the preparation room, shiko-stamping etc.: “3 times salt throwing is like warming-up.”

He takes a nap instead, snoring.

• Like 2

Wakanosato: “I want to wear a yukata as long as possible. I hate to get into a suit already.”

Yoshikaze after the loss to Endo: “Already when the yobidashi call him up the hall gets excited. A rikishi at stardom like this is hard to find.”

• Like 1

Chiyotairyu is maybe the sole rikishi who before the bout doesn't do warming-up exercises in the preparation room, shiko-stamping etc.: “3 times salt throwing is like warming-up.”

He takes a nap instead, snoring.

Cool as it may sound, it is actually a pretty dumb attitude.

Agreeing with Adil on Harumafuji looking really angry throughout his match with Chiyotairyu yesterday. Also was curious as to why the youngster looked so apologetic after the bout??

Harumafuji was pissed because he felt Chiyotairyuu was dilly-dallying at the tachiai, causing that matta.

Poor Ikioi. I think his sumo has looked better than his 1-8 record indicates. Both him and Okinoumi seem so close to taking that next step but just can't quite make it.

• Like 1

Poor Ikioi. I think his sumo has looked better than his 1-8 record indicates. Both him and Okinoumi seem so close to taking that next step but just can't quite make it.

I am pretty sure the Kyokai PR department is praying daily for them to take that next step... They are both (and particularily Ikioi) PR treasures.

I am pretty sure the Kyokai PR department is praying daily for them to take that next step... They are both (and particularily Ikioi) PR treasures.

I don't know about that... In my impression these popular guys (also Takamisakari or Terao before them) "work" best as either meatgrinder regulars or as actual ozeki, but not as frequent ozeki candidates in the Wakanosato or Goeido mold. There's just something about the competitive grind of that position that kills the appeal a bit; maybe it's the cycle of hope and failure in high-pressure situations.

That said, it would still be nice if they weren't getting blown out with double-digit losses in the meatgrinder all the time, but I'm not sure if simply improving from 4-11 to 6-9 would really count as taking the next step.

Edited by Asashosakari
  • Like 2

I'd like to imagine that Ikioi and Okinoumi have brighter futures ahead of them than as yo-yos.

They're basically part of the same "generation" as all yokozuna, ozeki and sekiwake (1984-86) bar Kotooshu, so it's not like they can hope to outlive them.

I don't know about that... In my impression these popular guys (also Takamisakari or Terao before them) "work" best as either meatgrinder regulars or as actual ozeki, but not as frequent ozeki candidates in the Wakanosato or Goeido mold. There's just something about the competitive grind of that position that kills the appeal a bit; maybe it's the cycle of hope and failure in high-pressure situations.

That said, it would still be nice if they weren't getting blown out with double-digit losses in the meatgrinder all the time, but I'm not sure if simply improving from 4-11 to 6-9 would really count as taking the next step.

Well, I don't really think either is Ozeki material (THAT would be awesome for the Kyokai btw, in my view) but I was thinking of a "next step" more along the lines of Tochiozan than Goeido, being able to hold their own in sanyaku once in a while (or even often). After all, the more successful a likeable rikishi is, the easier it is for people to root for him.

Calling Harumafuji "The worst yokozuna in history" shows lack of respect and complete lack of information. He became yokozuna with 2 zensho yushos, dominating Hakuho, who can easily be called "The greatest yokozuna in history" now or he shall be called like that after several years, regardless. Harumafuji has shown skills that few had shown over the years, his age is 31 and he is the lightest rikishi in makuuchi. This only seems impressive enough. Yes, he gave a lot of kinboshi and his shape has been bad since he got the highest rank. Have in mind that he has injuries and he is busy doing his yokozuna duties. He will be back with yusho, sooner or later.

• Like 2

"Hakuho, who can easily be called "The greatest yokozuna in history"

I find such a statement almost as suspect as I do calling Haruma the worst.

• Like 1

So Masunoyama is cleared for full action, isn't he?

Nonetheless there was just another frightening moment where at least my heart missed a beat. Looking at the faces in the crowd they must have had the same thought. Not good.

Jokoryu vs Yoshikaze produced a loser who defeated the third guy on the dohyo in the process of losing - in quite spectactular fashion!

The lowest full house numbers so far on day 9: 9126 spectators

Today was keshō-mawashi close-up day on the stream, my favorite.

Very convincing win by Endo, as the new star he may get a san-sho even with an 8-7 result (ginō-sho), but it looks like he will make the 10 and get a kantō-sho (I seem to have the tendency though to jinx the rikishi who look sure to get a sansho or a promotion).