Yubinhaad

The Yobidashi

5 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

I don't get how he got this high.

Nothing can stop a yobidashi from rising (except something like beating the okami-san): strict seniority promotion system

2 minutes ago, Akinomaki said:

Nothing can stop a yobidashi from rising (except something like beating the okami-san): strict seniority promotion system

Exactly. That was rhetorical . Still, a yobidashi needs some minimal sort of voice. This is like promoting a  .. forget it, politically incorrect, however I may put it.

6 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

Exactly. That was rhetorical . Still, a yobidashi needs some minimal sort of voice. This is like promoting a  .. forget it, politically incorrect, however I may put it.

Maybe they'll introduce a tone-chigae for yobidashi if enough protest is made by spectators (all over the world)

• Like 1

Just now, Akinomaki said:

Maybe they'll introduce a tone-chigae for yobidashi if enough protest is made by spectators (all over the world)

Believe me, no one gives a hoot except me and Kotoyuuki. But he is SOO bad it burns my ears..

Tate yobidashi - Takuro, Kasugano-beya 24.02.1956

1 hour ago, Kintamayama said:

I guess the totally tone-deaf yobidashi (forgot the name..) who does the two before musubi bouts (no less..) is there for the affection, then. I don't get how he got this high. So he does it with style and charm, then (not!!).

Sanyaku yobidashi - Jiro, Kasugano-beya 19.01.1960

We'll have to wait another 4 years so that we have him at least reduced to only one bout and then 4 more years to get rid of him.

02_Jiro.jpg

if you look at it like a book recital, his voice is bearable - obviously in his case there was no open slot at the tokoyama so he took the yobidashi

• Like 1

Yobidashi Hiromasa- how it should be done..

And this is Aoi vs Rao. I can't wait to hear him do Asayamabana vs. Wakayamanaka. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 7.4.2017 at 17:20, Kintamayama said:

Maybe you should start a Casting Show "The Voice of Sumo" with yourself in the jury and some nice Su-jo girls surrounding you ;-) 

• Like 4

It was the first time that a jungyo took place in Mishima-city. The dohyo was constructed by 3 yobidashi together with local helpers, with Kunio as the leader - he has 25 years of yobidashi experience: "In the past I loved to watch sumo. When I decided about my career, I thought about a way and genre that I liked and found the job of yobidashi."

For the main basho the yobidashi work in all functions, but at the jungyo they form teams for different tasks. Kunio is in charge of dohyo construction in the vanguard unit that came to Mishima to build the doyho: "Building a dohyo each time leads to a muscular body build, there is no special training we're doing." http://izu.keizai.biz/headline/600/

the 3 yobidashi, Kunio in the middle - the other 2 look like Tasuke and Kohei

1491822830_photo.jpg

• Like 7

Apropos the "what's the fan for" discussion on the previous page, former (tate-)yobidashi Hideo actually touches on that in his recently published book (available in English, too):

High ranking people in the Nihon Sumo Kyokai told me they had received letters asking why yobidashi use a fan when they call out names. I replied that I did not know why. Troubled about this, I added that "Without a fan, it would probably not look proper." Somebody then opinioned that fans were used to prevent the yobidashi's spittle from flying towards the waiting rikishi. Actually, I do not really know why fans are used.

So there you have it (or not).

4 hours ago, Asashosakari said:

Apropos the "what's the fan for" discussion on the previous page, former (tate-)yobidashi Hideo actually touches on that in his recently published book (available in English, too):

Where can I purchase this book (English version) online?

2 hours ago, BroomeSumo said:

Where can I purchase this book (English version) online?

I normally order at Honto, though Amazon Japan and other book stores have it as well, of course. Not sure if it's available for import order at any non-Japanese places.

3 minutes ago, Kintamayama said:

Ordered at Amazon Japan. Exorbitant shipping fee but what choice do I have?

Oh dear. So you are definitely not coming to Japan for the May basho then?

On 4/18/2017 at 05:53, Asashosakari said:

I wouldn't doubt if it never served a practical purpose. It likely just added pomp and style, like, um, neckties or the like.

Edited by Asameshimae

On 18/04/2017 at 12:08, Asashosakari said:

I normally order at Honto, though Amazon Japan and other book stores have it as well, of course. Not sure if it's available for import order at any non-Japanese places.

I wonder if he will be at the kokugikan selling his English copies alongside his other publication. 

12 hours ago, rhyen said:

I wonder if he will be at the kokugikan selling his English copies alongside his other publication. 

I'll be looking out for this, among other things.

1 hour ago, orandashoho said:

I'll be looking out for this, among other things.

his stall should be on either side of hallway after entering the kokugikan, past the murals and trophy cabinet.

It will be facing the entrance to the 1st floor masu seat.

20 hours ago, orandashoho said:

Oh dear. So you are definitely not coming to Japan for the May basho then?

No, and at this stage I'm not sure what's going to happen in the immediate future..

No, and at this stage I'm not sure what's going to happen in the immediate future..

:'-(

I hope all is well with you and yours.

That is sad... unless of course you're hoping to be booked on an imminent tour of good gigs.
Still, I feel that you are joining us in spirit, since the May Basho Meetup and my trip to Tokyo would not have happened without you. 
A toast at the Moti restaurant, anyone?

Just some personal stuff that needs attention-I am very envious of you lot. You even get to meet John!!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kintamayama said:

Just some personal stuff that needs attention-I am very envious of you lot. You even get to meet John!!

Well, we wouldn't be going had you not suggested it. So thank you.

• Like 2