Sign in to follow this  
Masumasumasu

Is anyone here a fan of...

If you're so keen with Beethoven you should present his top melodies, esp. when you link to the 7th.

These two are the popular ones, and thus often used. I first noticed them in Zardos in the final scene with Sean Connery and Charlotte Rampling and the 6th in Soylent Green with Charlton Heston and Edward G. Robinson in his death scene.

Symphony No.7 in A major op.92 - II, Allegretto

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upGp843o0iA

Symphony No 6, Op 68 - 1st Movement

• Like 1

I never said that Opera was 'high art'.

So Opera can not be 'high art'?

If we accept that definition of yours some of the followig must be true too:

1) A composer who writes operas is not high artist

OR

2) 'high art' applies to certain piece or pieces only, but not to the complete works of a composer.

If 1) was true then what do we say about your list of favorite composers?

Beethoven, Haydn, Handel, Schubert, Mozart, Tchaikovsky, Wagner, Schumann, Scriabin, Rachmaninov did wrote operas. Should we exclude them from the 'high art' list on the grounds that Opera can not be 'high art'?

The 2) is quite reasonable, but it beats all your reasoning so far for it is the piece that is 'high art' not the composer (implying all his works are).

For example what remains from Wagner's works if we take his operas out the equation?

There are plenty of artists in all forms of art not only music who are known for single or few works recognized as exrtemely 'high' even though the rest of their work is either nothing special or non-existent.

With 2) I fully agree by the way, but if you do agree too you have to admit that otherwise mediocre composer who has single great piece must be put next to Beethoven who composed only 'high art' and nothing else .oO(.. wait wait ... what about Fidelio?)

Edited by salle

I didn't say that opera was not high art, either.

Words and music do not belong together in my opinion. Neither do costumes, makeup and acting. But of course, there are examples of opera which qualify as high art. I do consider Wagner to be 'high art'.

Not all of Beethoven's music is high art, just most. The great man disliked opera and dreaded rehearsing with singers but Fidelio is still one of the finest operas ever written.

How about musicals, do they count as high art? :) I thought Conan the musical was great.

Edited by Bugman

How about musicals, do they count as high art? :) I thought Conan the musical was great.

Brace for high-art outrage in 3, 2, 1...

Musical cocaine, this is:

Not bad for a Youth Orchestra!! Mahler was brilliant. (Weird, but brilliant.) This work is simply an example of the evolution of extending the range and texture of Choral Symphonies (to incredible levels) based on what Beethoven started.

And then you have the Verdi Requiem.

• Like 1