Sign in to follow this  
Feginowaka

Adopt a Jonidan Game

Anybody still remembers the game that started 13 (!) years ago, initialized by Joe Petrow/Peterao?

--> http://www.banzuke.com/00-5/msg00715.html

I was remembering this game, when I saw that Ryuo retired recently.

He was one of the TOP PICKS of the game. (picked by a former/old friend of mine: Ookihito)

I made some charts of the original group of the "Jonidan-Kyushu-2000-class", but I don't know how to implement them in a post.

Maybe somebody can help me, and I will send him my data file ;-)

Btw, somebody interested in starting a new "Adopt-a-Jonidan-Game"?

Back then, Peterao had made an ingenious entry form where you could mark a Rikishi and he was no more available for other players.

• Like 1

What are the rules of this game?

Edited by Achiyama

Follow the link ;-) to see the "rules" back then.

It's just a proposal and can be defined by anyone if changes are needed

What are the rules of this game?

"Anyway, the idea is that you pick one Jonidan wrestler that you will "adopt" and follow throughout their career.  Everyone gets only one wrestler, and no two people can choose the same wrestler (first come first served)The "winner" will be the first person who's wrestler gets promoted to yokozuna (or failing that, the one who reaches the highest rank)  There will also be special prizes for the first wrestler to reach the rank of Makushita, Juryo, Maegashira, and Sanyaku (I've avoided Sandanme to discourage selection of upper-Jonidan wrestlers for a quick victory, and try to get people to think more long term instead)."

Great idea to revive this game!

So just to clarify, we would start with the Ali 2013 banzuke?

(In case we start now I take Jd26e Daishoho ;-))

I think the best is to start with either Aki or Kyushu Banzuke, depending on WHO is managing the game and creating a nifty entry form (Dancing of joy...)

Well, we don't really need an entry form. Posting in the forum should be enough to see who is still available.

Question:

The "winner" will be the first person who's wrestler gets promoted to

yokozuna (or failing that, the one who reaches the highest rank).

so, let's say we get 20 players for this game and everyone picks ONE jonidan guy from the Aki'13 banzuke.

a) does that mean, the game is closed on shonichi and new players cannot pick 'free' jonidan guys at a later stage ?

b) if the answer to a) is Yes, will there be a new version of the game every basho ??? - sounds a lot of work, then...

c) if the answer to a) is NO, what about 'new' jonidan guys, which havent been in jonidan in aki'13 ?

d) if no picked wrestler reaches yokozuna rank, the one who reaches highes rank will win...

fine, but as some of these guys have a sumo career of approx 20 years, we wont be able to decide a winner till the last

picked jonidan guy from Aki'13 retires.... ? that might be in 2032 or so....

not sure, if we wanna wait that long to declare a winner. how bout a max time span of 5 years ???

Question:

The "winner" will be the first person who's wrestler gets promoted to

yokozuna (or failing that, the one who reaches the highest rank).

so, let's say we get 20 players for this game and everyone picks ONE jonidan guy from the Aki'13 banzuke.

a) does that mean, the game is closed on shonichi and new players cannot pick 'free' jonidan guys at a later stage ?

b) if the answer to a) is Yes, will there be a new version of the game every basho ??? - sounds a lot of work, then...

c) if the answer to a) is NO, what about 'new' jonidan guys, which havent been in jonidan in aki'13 ?

d) if no picked wrestler reaches yokozuna rank, the one who reaches highes rank will win...

fine, but as some of these guys have a sumo career of approx 20 years, we wont be able to decide a winner till the last

picked jonidan guy from Aki'13 retires.... ? that might be in 2032 or so....

not sure, if we wanna wait that long to declare a winner. how bout a max time span of 5 years ???

a) YES

b) NO

The game will last several years and would be too much work if started anew every basho (Scratching chin...)

d) from the first game there was no real winner as noone became Yokozuna.

I could show you some charts, if I only knew how to post them...

several years, but no real winner...

sounds like Afghanistan

• Like 1

Here are some rankings of the original game:

A) Promotion to Juryo

1. Hochiyama (Matz Justin) 2006.03

2. Ryuo (Lukas Grossmann/Ookihito) 2006.07

3. Hakuba (Magnus Berg/Magunoyama) 2007.01

4. Kitataiki (unadopted) 2007.07

5. Oniarashi (???) 2012.07

6. Kotomisen (unadopted) 2013.07

B) Promotion to Makuuchi

1. Hochiyama (Matz Justin) 2006.09

2. Ryuo (Lukas Grossmann/Ookihito) 2007.05

3. Hakuba (Magnus Berg/Magunoyama) 2008.05

4. Kitataiki (unadopted) 2008.09

C) Highest Rank achieved

1. Hakuba (Magnus Berg/Magunoyama) Ke

2. Kitataiki (unadopted) M2e

3. Ryuo (Lukas Grossmann/Ookihito) M8w

4. Hochiyama (Matz Justin) M14w

5. Oniarashi (???) J7w

6. Kotomisen (unadopted) J14w

7. Wakanoshima (unadopted) Ms1w

8. Hagane (Feginowaka) Ms16e

9. Sadanishiki (???) Ms23w

10.Araumago (Joe Petrow/SumoFan) Ms26e

D) current rank (still active)

1. Kitataiki (unadopted) M8w (8-7)

2. Oniarashi (???) J10e (5-10)

3. Kotomisen (unadopted) J14w (6-9)

4. Wakanoshima (unadopted) Ms14e (5-2)

5. Hochiyama (Matz Justin) Ms14w (1-6)

6. Kisomitsuru (unadopted) Ms44w (2-5)

7. Sadanishiki (???) Sd6w (3-4)

8. Hagane (Feginowaka) Sd26e (5-2)

9. Shiroryu (Bob Brown/Kodaiyama) Sd35e (4-3)

10.Kotootori (???) Sd36w (5-2)

11.Orora (Jason Stiffler/Spondinoumi) Sd43e (4-3)

12.Toho (Knut Högvall/Heiyu) Sd61e (3-4)

13.Shinzan (Togariyama) Sd83e (4-3)

14.Tomonofuji (???) Jd18w (4-3)

15.Daitenyu (???) Jd24w (3-4)

16.Daigonishiki (???) Jd49w (3-4)

17.Kotofubuki (Jan-Pieter Kuil/Takokichi) Jd80w (3-4)

There have been 68 Jonidan rikishi picked.

13 still active now

The winner obviously could be Matz Justin as his adoptee Hochiyama was the first being promoted to Juryo and to Makuuchi (Applauding...)

But the winner also could be Magunoyama as his adoptee Hakuba was the only one the reach Sanyaku (Exercising...)

It depends on the rules and on how long the game would be running.

After 13 years, I might be the only one to have the list of those Jonidan picked back then (Happy goodbyes...)

• Like 1

As indicated by this comment, I dare say the original spirit of the "game" has been damaged quite a bit by the massively increased influx of polished collegiate, high school and foreign rikishi in the last 13 years.

Considering the fact that the most new entrants start Maezumo at Haru Basho, they will be in Jonokuchi at Natsu Basho and the most promosing of them in Jonidan at Nagoya Basho, the best time to start would be ... now with the Nagoya Banzuke... :-/

The second best Basho to start would be Aki or Natsu.

Suggestions? (In jonokuchi...)

Huzzah for my adopted Hochiyama! I am willing to give it another go! It has been 13 years, after all! My poor Hochiyama has fallen on some hard times as of late!

As indicated by this comment, I dare say the original spirit of the "game" has been damaged quite a bit by the massively increased influx of polished collegiate, high school and foreign rikishi in the last 13 years.

An age limit would undo part of that damage, I guess.

Edited by shumitto

I suggest, we all start on equal grounds,

so why not use the official announcement of the Jonidan banzuke Aki'13

as kick off time.

Picks to be posted in this forum to have a time stamp.

first come, first serve

so winner is the first pick reaching yokozuna or if that doesnt happen within 5 yrs, then the first reaching makuuchi ??

so winner is the first pick reaching yokozuna or if that doesnt happen within 5 yrs, then the first reaching makuuchi ??

I had to laugh, sorry. You know that Hakuho needed more than 5 years from his last jonidan basho to yokozuna? And also Hochiyama to makuuchi (fastest to makuuchi in the last game)? This game isn't and wasn't about winning but about adopting so it "ends" when all adopted rikishi are retired.

As a precursor to, or possibly as a result of this "game", many of us have "adopted" one or more promising jonokuchi or jonidan rikishi and followed them through their careers, for better or worse. At the end of each basho, an "Adoptee Reports" topic would be started where we could brag about or, more often, lament the progress of our adoptees. The frequency of the reports has fallen off significantly in the last couple years. It was a lot of fun, and it served as a way to highlight the trials, tribulations and successes of the lower ranked rikishi. I, for one, would like to see a rebirth of this practice.

Edited by Asojima
  • Like 1

i know who i would pick if such a game materializes.

I may have a problem n the "family" as i already have two adopted rikishi but i think we can work it out with some good "parenting" B-) (Gathering...) .

so yeah ... if i could be on time when the picks are made i would definitely pick Aoto from Hakkaku beya. And i agree with Doitsu ... the game ends when all picked rikishi are intai.

Same thing goes with all "adoptions" ... doesn't it? I don't remember anyone that stopped having hope in their rikishi ... (In jonokuchi...)

btw ... i think i had 4 adopted rikishi over the years that went intai rather abruptly (Morioka , Daiyuchi , Hoshihikari and Chiyonoshima) ... not a good father after all .... :-|

ha, at least I made u laugh, Mount Doitsu...

how do you say 'dabei sein ist alles' in Ingrish ?

I am sorry but I don't see this game compelling. And I don't see it as a competition.

Randomitsuki's Banzuke Surfing Waves are much better and more interesting. Every basho you can chose another rikishi who will get you faster to Sanyaku.
And every year during the Hatsu basho you can start with a new rikishi from the lowest division in a new Banzuke Wave.

I'd rather see and support a volunteer, who is willing to revive Itachi's Jo-Game, which covers the 2 lowest divisions Jonidan and Jonokuchi.

Best Regards,
Achiyama

Edited by Achiyama

I am sorry but I don't see this game compelling. And I don't see it as a competition.

This game is not meant to be a "competition" in the ordinary way. Rather, by "adopting" a Jonidan rikishi it will allow you to follow his career way more closely than you would do in any other Sumo game (with the possible exception of Stable Development though at least my stable has become so large that I don't know all members anymore). For some of us that might be more compelling than selecting a different lower division rikishi every basho (and forgetting about him immediately after the basho).

Interesting!

Who does it manage?

You, Flohru?

Profomisakari

Nah, I've just copied the rules out of the original Email into this thread. Personally I think Feginowaka would be the obvious choice and the right man to do so! ;-)

Edited by Flohru

This game is not meant to be a "competition" in the ordinary way. Rather, by "adopting" a Jonidan rikishi it will allow you to follow his career way more closely than you would do in any other Sumo game (with the possible exception of Stable Development though at least my stable has become so large that I don't know all members anymore). For some of us that might be more compelling than selecting a different lower division rikishi every basho (and forgetting about him immediately after the basho).

That's exactly what the "game" was meant for. (Bow...)

It's not about hopping from one rikishi to another every basho, but about supporting and following the course of his carreer.

I don't know if others supported their adoptee, but I really did:

I wrote him about the "game", sent him letters, sent him mails and found somebody that translated my letters into japanese and his letters into english!

When he finally won a Yusho one year ago (Sandanme) it was a great day for me as if I won it myself. (Crowned...)

For those who want a real competition, the Banzuke Surfing Waves are great.

As you can see in the rankings above, the first one to reach Juryo was after more than 5 years and the first to Makuuchi was after almost 6 years

Edited by Feginowaka