Sign in to follow this  
Feginowaka

Adopt a Jonidan Game

Thank yuo Flohru for clarifying the idea behind this "game".

Reading thread #10 I am still unsertain.

If the adoptions are to be made in Aki or Kyushu (whenever is decided to start the "game") 2013, and no adoptions will be allowed after that - what about the rikishi to come in the future? Why should they be deprived from the right to be adopted? Or said in another way, why the Jonidan rikishi from Aki (or Kyushu) 2013 should have the privelege of being adopted and the future Jonidans not?

My suggestion is:

1.) The adoption to be open every basho (of course the rikishi adopted previously cannot be chosen again).

2.) The adopters who adopted a rikishi in one year compete between themselves. So, there will be Adoptees in 2013, Adoptees in 2014 and so on, to have waves of adoptions like Rando's Banzuke Surfing Waves.

3.) The limitation for adopting only 1 (one) Jonidan rikishi to be enforced for 1 Calendar year. In this case, everybody who wants to adopt more than one rikishi will be able to do so, and compete in different adoption waves.

These are my crazy ideas thrown for consideration.

"First come, first served" might be a problem for those who don't live in the Pacific time zones.

I don't know at what local time the banzuke is made available to the media, but if it's say, about 9.00 Japan time, then in the UK it's 1.00. I'm normally in bed by that time and I wouldn't think there would be many promosing rikishi to pick from when it's 9.00 in my neck of the woods.

I would suggest that players would pick 3 rikishi (a, b, c) then the picks would be decided by time of entry in each time zone corresponding to the release time of the banzuke in Japan. Obviously there will be matching picks which can be sorted by lottery down through the a,b, c choices.

Just a thought.

Edited by ronnie

Use a point system. The adopter gains one point for each adoptee win as a Jonokuchi/Jonidan, 2 points as a Sandanme or sekitori and 3 points as a Makushita. The total is then divided by the number of bashos that the adoption has been in effect. This allows rikishi to be adopted over time from an expanded pool with the late pickers suffering only a small impact. If an adoptee should make it to sekitorihood, the 15 day schedule would give him a major boost. The more successful a rikishi becomes, the more points the adopter receives. Now all you need is a scorekeeper / reporter.

Edit: Why not allow the adoption to take place anytime after the rikishi joins a heya? No need to wait for the banzuke to be published. The rikishi's background or maezumo performance could be used as a basis for adoption. The only restriction would be that the pick has to be made before the rikishi makes it to sandanme.

Edited by Asojima

I don't know at what local time the banzuke is made available to the media, but if it's say, about 9.00 Japan time, then in the UK it's 1.00. I'm normally in bed by that time and I wouldn't think there would be many promosing rikishi to pick from when it's 9.00 in my neck of the woods.

Figuring out who's going to be ranked in jonidan on [insert banzuke here] isn't exactly rocket science. To time the start of entry-taking exactly with the banzuke release would be kind of silly.

Edit: And I was wrong - turns out that the impact of polished amateur rikishi pales in comparison to all the hilariously over-complex ideas posted here to turn into a "serious" game what was originally envisioned as nothing more than a low-key approach to stimulating interest in less heralded / less known rikishi...

Edit edit: If there's really a desperate interest in creating a game that allows each rikishi to be "held" by only one player (i.e. if neither a simple adoption scheme nor Stable Development do it for you), somebody should probably just revive ICHIMON.

Edited by Asashosakari

I agree with Pierre: All this discussion about picking rules, adoption system and time zones completely miss the spirit of the game. Besides, if you look at the banzuke of the original game (Kyushu 2000) and the results (Kitataiki and Kotomisen not even picked back then...) you will see that "promising rikishi" is a rather problematic term anyway when it comes to possible future sekitori still ranked in Jonidan... Just pick someone you WANT to make it to the top, support him and hope for the best.

So I'd say keep the rules/picking system easy. Just start the game in a new thread anytime after the next banzuke is released and wait for the entries to come in. If someone doesn't get the desired rikishi and is unsatisfied about it, (s)he can select someone else (after all there should be enough for everyone) or decide not to participate.

I agree with Pierre: All this discussion about picking rules, adoption system and time zones completely miss the spirit of the game.

That was the point that I was trying to make in my original post. My interest is simply to revitalize the adoption concept. If it takes a simple game to drag people into doing it, so be it. I probably will not take part in the game, but let's do something.

I agree with Pierre: All this discussion about picking rules, adoption system and time zones completely miss the spirit of the game.

That was the point that I was trying to make in my original post. My interest is simply to revitalize the adoption concept. If it takes a simple game to drag people into doing it, so be it. I probably will not take part in the game, but let's do something.

that would be my target and also the reason i would participate in a game like that.

And again .... even though i have already "adopted" 2 rikishi, i wouldn't mind adding another one in the family. So yeah .... even if there is a time constraint and a "first come, first served" attitude around it i still pick Aoto .... :-D. Or i will just stick to my adoptions and dream of a better life for both of them in the future.

(btw .... where is the customary topic where we brag about our adoptions?)