Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

GTB - A key basho 2013!

Interior, Kyokai headquarters. Banzuke committee in session (members will not be named, but denoted with letters), Kitanoumi pops in.

Rij: "Any ideas on how we sort out this mess??"

A; "Sir, this is very complicated- we have 7 certain candidates for demotion and only three for promotion.."

Rij: "Tell me something I DON'T know.."

B; "Baruto's mother keeps calling me in the middle of the night begging for mercy.."

C; "And we have the Egyptian Ambassador on line 4 every other hour saying Oosunaarashi's promotion is imperative towards world peace.."

D: "And the "Movement for Clean Sumo" wants us to keep Soukokurai in Makuuchi after all he's been through.."

Rij: "How about, just for this basho, we expand Makuuchi to 20 maime?"

A: "Sir, that won't sit well with the YDC.."

B: "Don't get me started on the YDC.. Tsuruta wants Harumafuji demoted to yobidashi, Kobuta wants Kisenosato promoted to Emperor if he gets a kachikoshi, ANY kachikoshi- he says it's imperative for boosting attendance and for the morale of Japan as a whole, Shibuta wants Hakuhou suspended for being sarcastic.. I don't know.."

C: "Endou's barber called and he wants a raise - he says the haircut is what gave him the wins.."

D; "And Takanoyama is suing fat!!"

Rij, B, C and A: "What??'

D: "Yes, suing fat. He says fat doesn't stick to him because he's a gaijin.. He's suing fat!!"

Rij: "People, people, let's focus here-we need to announce the Juryo demotions in two days.."

The tea lady: "I have an idea, sir.."

Everyone stares. She never ever uttered a word before. Some thought she was dead.

"How about we use that game's average and make that the Banzuke?'

A; "That game?? You mean... THE game? The one not to be mentioned?? THE GAME???"

Shudders felt all around the table.

Lady: "OK, forget I said anything.."

Leaves the room stage right.

Rij: "Maybe she has a point there.."

C: "But please sir, not THE GAME!!!"

Rij: "We are left with no choice. I know I said we won't deal with terrorists in the past, but difficult times call for difficult measures!!"

Everyone nods in silence.

Tonight, this proclamation will be read in the town square (in Japanese):

It''s time to enter your GTB September 2013 guesses!!

Rules: Guess the Banzuke. We'll do the rest!!

Tiebreakers - Most total guesses, then, we check the banzuke backwards - getting the lower half right will be more important now. The most correct guesses in the last ten places will win the tiebreaker. If still tied , we go up a ranking at a time like a penalty shootout.
It's up to you to check if you are on the list of entries. It's going to be your fault if you don't check and you're not on it. No late entries will be accepted. You have about a month, so get to it, pronto!! At the risk of repeating myself- I will not repeat myself!

For rules, standings and "how to guard the shitakubeya from unwanted visitors from the past" stuff:
http://www.dichne.com/Guess.htm

For the entry form:
http://sumodb.sumoga...b/GTBEntry.aspx

For the "new" archives:
http://sumodb.sumoga...gtbarchive.aspx

The Art of Banzuke making:
http://tossacoin.plnk

Deadline- Saturday, August 31st, 2013 at 18:00 GMT ("Goueidou Myougiryuu Takayasu ")

Kintamayama, Doitsuyama, Andoreasu(no yama), and Rohou

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 10

brilliant !

:-D :-D :-D

Edited by Andonishiki
  • Like 1

Interior, Kyokai headquarters. Banzuke committee in session (members will not be named, but denoted with letters), Kitanoumi pops in.

Rij: "Any ideas on how we sort out this mess??"

A; "Sir, this is very complicated- we have 7 certain candidates for demotion and only three for promotion.."

The tea lady: "I have an idea, sir.."

Everyone stares. She never ever uttered a word before. Some thought she was dead.

"How about we use that game's average and make that the Banzuke?'

A; "That game?? You mean... THE game? The one not to be mentioned?? THE GAME???"

Shudders felt all around the table.

Lady: "OK, forget I said anything.."

Leaves the room stage right.

Rij: "Maybe she has a point there.."

C: "But please sir, not THE GAME!!!"

Rij: "We are left with no choice. I know I said we won't deal with terrorists in the past, but difficult times call for difficult measures!!"

Everyone nods in silence.

As it's really a big mess and the Banzuke committee is completely desperate in this situation, they decided to give the tea lady's idea a try.

Taking THE GAME's average was too unrealistic for them, as:

- the spreading of all entries is too large

- they would have to wait until everybody made his entry and they need the new Banzuke NOW

Their solution: they contacted me and asked for my Banzuke draft.

:-P

Taking THE GAME's average was too unrealistic for them, as:

- the spreading of all entries is too large

- they would have to wait until everybody made his entry and they need the new Banzuke NOW

Their solution: they contacted me and asked for my Banzuke draft.

:-P

They decided to delay the Banzuke announcement till the GAME deadline. Only this time, though..

Hahaha. One of the best post I have ever read!!!

If it isn't the best post I have ever read, it must be in the top three. (Misquote of snooker's John Virgo)

Moti's post made want to enter this game for the first (and possibly last) time. I may have to idea how to make a banzuke and i never really bothered about banzukes in general (except the actual printed banzukes that i love and tend to get them once in a while).

sooooo ... yeah ... this time around i will set the "Bar of Ignorance" for everyone by being dead last when the results come out.

(disclaimer: My final entry will be made by using all "non-scientific" methods to get the final product)

i actually submitted my entry to GTB. (Holiday feeling...)

if anyone wants to have a laugh ... eeeeem .... i meant if anyone wants to see a newbie having no idea what to do with the bottom of the makuuchi i will post my entry here .... (Dribbling...)

lovely stuff down there. i was actually thinking of making Makuuchi's lowest rank the M15w spot. This looks horrible (Wearing a paperbag...)

(Raging at computer...)

• Like 1

Moti's post made want to enter this game for the first (and possibly last) time. I may have to idea how to make a banzuke and i never really bothered about banzukes in general (except the actual printed banzukes that i love and tend to get them once in a while).

I myself haven't entered in ages, but will enter this time. Don't worry, I've played a lot and I still don't really know what I'm doing..

i was actually thinking of making Makuuchi's lowest rank the M15w spot. This looks horrible (Wearing a paperbag...)

Odd you should say that because my only question is, "Who will occupy M16e?". That being said, I will once again find myself in my customary lower third of the standings.

Deadline in three days. Whaaaaat??? 65 entries already?? There were 66 entries in all last basho.. Yes!! A lot of old faces not seen recently. I am extremely happy..

Question: Is the KK/MK line for the GTB win-loss records based on the points median or the points mean? Just been looking up some old records in the database and I can't quite make sense of it.

Question: Is the KK/MK line for the GTB win-loss records based on the points median or the points mean? Just been looking up some old records in the database and I can't quite make sense of it.

KK-MK line is based on the Bohemian Rhapsody. It is consistent. Number of total players divided by two. Example:

Scaramoosh scaramoosh: 80 players? Player number 41 is under the MK line, unless there is a tie - i.e, 4 players are with 45 points at number 40, they are all KK, as I am benevolent. I know it is not scientific etc.. etc.., but momma, just killed a man.

In my very unmathematical eyes, it is the better solution. More or less 50% above the line, 50% below the line.

I teach this at the local university now. Nothing really matters to me.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 3

Dang!

GTB entry form is down with only a few hours before the deadline... :-(

Dang!

GTB entry form is down with only a few hours before the deadline... :-(

Now I could submit it without getting a 404 error message - was the NSA trying to get some intel on their GTB entry....? (Detective...)

KK-MK line is based on the Bohemian Rhapsody. It is consistent. Number of total players divided by two. Example:

Scaramoosh scaramoosh: 80 players? Player number 41 is under the MK line, unless there is a tie - i.e, 4 players are with 45 points at number 40, they are all KK, as I am benevolent. I know it is not scientific etc.. etc.., but momma, just killed a man.

That was one of my working hypotheses, but there's at least one tournament where it doesn't seem to work out.

201207: 79 players, 38 of them (= less than half) at 49+ points, 7 at 48 points, 34 players at less; but 48 points is 7-8

Edited by Asashosakari

Provisional Kyushu rankings before the Aki points are added (Aki starting ranks in brackets):

4.325 Gooner (1)

4.236 Tosahayate (3)

4.221 Asashosakari (4)

4.221 Feginowaka (2)

4.024 Susanoo (10)

4.023 Okisuruga (6)

4.019 Andoreasu (5)

4.014 Konosato (9)

3.994 Taxinohana (11)

3.978 Momijibasi (8)

Next leader probably to be decided among the top 4...

Edited by Asashosakari

In my very unmathematical eyes, it is the better solution. More or less 50% above the line, 50% below the line.

I teach this at the local university now. Nothing really matters to me.

Mama mia! You say that in such an "easy come, easy go" fashion.

Bur the real question is; will you do the fandango?

• Like 1

That was one of my working hypotheses, but there's at least one tournament where it doesn't seem to work out.

201207: 79 players, 38 of them (= less than half) at 49+ points, 7 at 48 points, 34 players at less; but 48 points is 7-8

That was a no-benevolence basho. 40 was the middle, but going the benevolent way meant that everyone with 48 points would get a MK, stretching the KK line to 45 players- 5 more than a half. That would have been too much even for me, so we went the dark way. But that is an anomaly and has happened only once in 91 bashos, so..

The 92nd (If I counted correctly..) GTB game is in the books. 81 players, which makes me happy and restores my belief of basic good in mankind.

And the winner is -Fatakiyama, second time, with a whopping 74 points!! Congratulations!! Despite the somewhat wacky Banzuke, it was a high-scoring affair with a 55.2 average, as reported by the producer of the game Andoreasu.

Milestones:

Ekigozan-80 basho!!

Doitsuyama-50 basho

Profomisakari- 50 basho

Gooner-50 basho

Akinomaki-30 basho

Kuroimori-20 basho

To see how well you did, visit us at:

http://www.dichne.com/Guess.htm

Thanks for playing, and now, on with the Ba-show!!

Top ten changes - Andoreasu and Konosato drop out of the ranks, although both recorded a kachi-koshi so they don't fall too far. Replacing them are Bafa and Taxinohana, both returning to the top ten after a one-basho gap outside.

Kyokuhagyo is the 8th player to reach the milestone of 20 basho in the top ten ranks, and his current streak now stands at 13 basho. And Momijibasi is the 21st player to reach 10 basho, with his current streak now at 6.