Sign in to follow this  
Asabiru

Have two rival rikishi ever hated each other publicly?

And has it shown in their matches?

I'm sure that sort of stuff is frowned upon, but I was just wondering if there has ever been such an intense rivalry?

There was some animosity between Takatouriki and Akebono, but I don't know if it was real..

I've only watched Sumo for a short time, just over a couple of years, and during that time the stare-down between Shohozan and Goeido this basho, with the subsequent battering Goeido received was the first time i ever saw anything that appeared close to bad blood between two rikishi, i have no idea what that was about.

Karma came fast for Shohozan though when he faced Kakuryu, who left him in no doubt that his aggression was not effective on him in the way it had been with Goeido.

If memory serves correctly, there was some animosity between Roho and Chiyotaikai that boiled over. I also recall reading about two rikishi involved in a punch-up in the shitakubeya after a match, but can't remember who was involved (I'm sure some of the more knowledgeable members will be able to fill in the details).

The staredown is a tactic used to break an aite's concentration and rhythm. Nothing personal. In the past, it was in common use, but it is only rarely seen now.

• Like 1

I also recall reading about two rikishi involved in a punch-up in the shitakubeya after a match, but can't remember who was involved (I'm sure some of the more knowledgeable members will be able to fill in the details).

IIRC Asashoryu and Kyokushuzan had an incident in the dressing room, though I forget if actual blows were exchanged. Alternatively, you might be thinking of this. (Wow, I had no recollection that the "other guy" in that one turned out to be someone so prominent.)

I also recall reading about two rikishi involved in a punch-up in the shitakubeya after a match, but can't remember who was involved (I'm sure some of the more knowledgeable members will be able to fill in the details).

IIRC Asashoryu and Kyokushuzan had an incident in the dressing room, though I forget if actual blows were exchanged. Alternatively, you might be thinking of this. (Wow, I had no recollection that the "other guy" in that one turned out to be someone so prominent.)

That is definitely the story I was thinking of, thanks for digging that up!

Dammit. Been saving that story for when Ikoi faced Kotooshu or Kotoshogiku during my commentary.

I'm pretty sure it'll still be interesting for the 99.99% of NHK viewers that aren't reading here. ;-)
  • Like 1

Dammit. Been saving that story for when Ikoi faced Kotooshu or Kotoshogiku during my commentary.

I'm pretty sure it'll still be interesting for the 99.99% of NHK viewers that aren't reading here. ;-)

And i was saving it for a trivia question..

I blame the economy; even trivia savings are no longer secure.
  • Like 5

That's a fairly serious underestimation of Sumo Forum as a rescource amongst English-speaking sumo fans.

If not the majority, then certainly a large percentage of the audience would be at least occasional vistors here. How could it be otherwise? English speakers in Japan and in the 35 countries the broadcast goes out to interested enough in sumo to switch the audio in Japan, or subscribe to the package in other countries but not interested enough to visit the interwebs premier source of English sumo information?

Unlikely.

Not sure about this...I have about five Western mates in Japan who watch sumo pretty regularly and absolutely none of them visit this forum or Sumotalk...even Gary (Chocshoporyu in the UK) and Mark (Fujiyama) who play most of the games. Rupert VERY occasionally posts on Sumotalk. That's it. Not scientific, but just something to add to the discussion.

Three of them definitely watch it in English. Not sure about the other two. Anyway, you may well be right in what you said - I just wanted to point out that my friends would therefore me a statistical anomoly (in more ways than one, actually!)

it is a world of 700 or so men. Testosterone cannot always be contained. Fights happen daily but are contained. Sadly you get people claiming 'but I cannot say' 'not able to say publicly' to sound like they have an 'in'.

Usually, they don't.

heard from an NHK source the real figures are less than impressive - but presumably those doing the job can give real figures?

As Otokonoyama once said - when you have been in Japan a while you really don't listen to the English broadcast as you can only learn things from the Japanese version.

Have listened perhaps 3 or 4 times in the past 10/12 years.

Sir... I've been wondering, on a quite personal level. Isn't it a bit bittersweet to cheer for someone who a few years ago indirectly caused a person who you held in great regards on a personal level, to be forced to retire on a brutally undignifying way?

Sir... I've been wondering, on a quite personal level. Isn't it a bit bittersweet to cheer for someone who a few years ago indirectly caused a person who you held in great regards on a personal level, to be forced to retire on a brutally undignifying way?

Ikioi didn't cause anything. It was a tsuppari battle, Kotokanyuu lost, couldn't control his temper, and went on a rampage in the shitakubeya. The tragic thing is not Kotokanyuu's punishment, which he deserved-it's that such a nice guy lost it when he shouldn't have. Ikioi was a guy I was following already back then. No fault of his. Imagine every rikishi losing by violent tsuppari and going berserk..

Very sad.

If I remember correctly, Hokutenyu hated Chiyonofuji for the hazing that was done to his brother.

I think the press made too much out of that. According to September 1982 Sumo World, Hokutenyu's younger brother was jealous of him and apparently Hokutenyu had managed to prevent his brother from entering Mihogaseki Beya.

Swami

The tragic thing is not Kotokanyuu's punishment, which he deserved-it's that such a nice guy lost it when he shouldn't have.

Agreed. He was a nice guy indeed. First keiko session I ever attended He posed for photographs, gave me tegata and made sure I was seated next to (the previous) Sadogatake oyakata for chanko. You still have any contact with him? Haven't heard what he did after sumo.

None. I had long talks with him about life when he was here-he came with his wife and baby. He was very different from the others.

If memory serves correctly, there was some animosity between Roho and Chiyotaikai that boiled over.

Roho was suspended for a few days for slapping a photographer or two on the back of a match with Chiyotaikai.

A few years ago – about three or four – there was a bout that included four false starts. While sometimes the rikishi just can’t get aligned what was unusual about the matta was that on one of them one of the rikishi actually knocked the other backwards onto his behind, and on the next matta the other rikishi returned the “favour” and knocked the offending rikishi onto his behind. I’m not sure if there were any issues in previous or subsequent matches, but there was clear animosity during that one. Does anyone recall who the two rikishi were

A few years ago – about three or four – there was a bout that included four false starts. While sometimes the rikishi just can’t get aligned what was unusual about the matta was that on one of them one of the rikishi actually knocked the other backwards onto his behind, and on the next matta the other rikishi returned the “favour” and knocked the offending rikishi onto his behind. I’m not sure if there were any issues in previous or subsequent matches, but there was clear animosity during that one. Does anyone recall who the two rikishi were[/size][/font]

This incident perhaps? The video
seems to include all but the first matta.

If memory serves correctly, there was some animosity between Roho and Chiyotaikai that boiled over.

This is the bout:

• Like 2

Asashoryu, now that he is retired, has lost whatever thin veneer of restraint he once had. Look at this beauty on his twitter from Tuesday.

一々うるさい親方は良くない!日馬富士の親方!

Selling an old Subaru online is really going overboard.

• Like 2

Asashoryu, now that he is retired, has lost whatever thin veneer of restraint he once had. Look at this beauty on his twitter from Tuesday.

一々うるさい親方は良くない!日馬富士の親方!

Would someone by chance be able to translate this for all of us non-Japanese speakers? I would appreciate it greatly:)