Sign in to follow this  
Vikanohara

Shouldn't they better retire ?

personally i disagree on all accounts.None of them should retire any time soon.

Too early to stop for Shironoryu. He was a sekitori earlier this year and he got injured. He could come back when healthy (and banzuke lucky).

Takanoyama? Not really .He could stay in high makushita/juryuo for some time more. And for a guy that took him 9 years to become sekitori i think he is hard-headed enough to stick around and give it another go. Not to mention that he is exciting to watch from time to time and i couldn't agree on missing the chance to watch him fight again.

Ryuo ... well. He is not effective in high Sandanme any more so this is a sign of things to come but i think he is still young enough to stick around. He must have had an injury or a health condition. He lost quite a few muscles over the years and his tachi-ai is non-existent. The telling story for his troubles is the fact that he is crouching really far from the lines and he seems to do that just to avoid the close contact after the tachi-ai. He doesn't seem like he has a plan for that (like Kyokushuzan did in the past).

ok maybe you are making a strong case about Ryuo but i think i would rather watch him trying to get back in form, rather than a random jonidan/sandanme/lower makushita rikishi trying to stay under the radar in these divisons.

Too lazy to search for the old reports, but I recall Ryuo having a chronic neck injury which prevents him from ever becoming his old self again. Pity.

Too lazy to search for the old reports, but I recall Ryuo having a chronic neck injury which prevents him from ever becoming his old self again. Pity.

The neck problem dates back to before his sekitori debut, but I'm guessing it's worse now from doing sumo with it for (10?) years.

Edited by Asashosakari
  • Like 1

If Takanoyama added even another 10 - 15 kilos he could last a fair while.

Swami

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't like to see them leave sumo. But I just wonder whether they had better quit a bit earlier, when still on a high or close after it, as it only seems to go down since a while, and they're all at the age of 30 this year.

Though I also thought former Watanabe (I keep forgetting his new shikona) would quit after that monster losing streak.

But I just wonder whether they had better quit a bit earlier, when still on a high or close after it, as it only seems to go down since a while, and they're all at the age of 30 this year.

None of them is on top of their games as of now. What matters most I guess are two things. First, is a comeback still within reach; second, what would they do if they retired.

Takanoyama is ridiculous. Everyone knows he needs more mass. If he's unwilling to do the obvious... adios.

Kintaro, on 12 Jul 2013 - 14:56, said:

Takanoyama is ridiculous. Everyone knows he needs more mass. If he's unwilling to do the obvious... adios.

"Unwilling"? It's known that he even illicitly took some of his shisho's insulin in an effort to gain weight. He's not been unwilling, he's been unable. A metabolism that would be enviable in any other sport is a positive disability in sumo.

I'd been concerned ever since he started to go down in rank from his peak that his sekitorihood was entirely the result of the top divisions getting cleared out by the yaocho scandal, and as other quality rikishi came up through the ranks that his fall was inevitable. It's actually taken far longer than I thought it would.

Takanoyama spent 10 years in a menial subsistence to gain sekitorihood. In the last 2 years, he has begun to earn a return on that investment. He has the strength and skill to remain in or close to the juryo division for another year or two. He doesn't have to become a sanyaku or even a maegashira. Why should he throw away the opportunity to recoup some of his loses?

Ditto for Shironoryu. He still has a reasonable chance to spend a few more basho in Juryo. Cash is cash.

Ryuo had the same hope until about 6 months ago, but it now looks like he has hit the slippery slope

Edited by Asojima

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't like to see them leave sumo. But I just wonder whether they had better quit a bit earlier, when still on a high or close after it, as it only seems to go down since a while, and they're all at the age of 30 this year.

I have to echo shumitto: What would be the purpose of quitting? You keep saying they should quit before they're completely washed up, but what exactly would this achieve that the alternative doesn't?
  • Like 2

I just don't see them turning around things anymore. Maybe Takanoyama can make a return to Juryo, but not the two others.

And what has Hochiyama left ? Even though he won today, I think we will never see him back in Juryo again.

Bye Hochiyama and Ryuo ! (Sad goodbyes...)

Edited by Vikanohara

Bye Hochiyama and Ryuo ! (Sad goodbyes...)

For me, Hochiyama has been the ultimate in sekitori mediocrity. He just seems to hang in there somehow. When the yaocho scandal broke, I was a bit surprised that he was not on the list. Not that I suspected him of anything. His record just made him a prime candidate.

For me, Hochiyama has been the ultimate in sekitori mediocrity. He just seems to hang in there somehow. When the yaocho scandal broke, I was a bit surprised that he was not on the list. Not that I suspected him of anything. His record just made him a prime candidate.

His stable is part of the hard-line gachinko faction.

Don't know what his plans are, but I suspect he might be hanging in there at least until January - he's one basho short of oyakata qualification, and it's conceivable that the rules will change when the Kyokai adopts its new legal status. (Ditto Sagatsukasa, three basho short.)

Vikanohara, on 15 Jul 2013 - 21:04, said:

I just don't see them turning around things anymore. Maybe Takanoyama can make a return to Juryo, but not the two others.

Takanoyama may not fall to makushita just yet. If he can pull off a 7-8, he might survive in Juryo for at least one more basho.

Takanoyama looks quite determined to stay in Juryo.

I'm glad he showed this spirit, though he urgently needs a (or several) KK now.

I'm glad he showed this spirit, though he urgently needs a (or several) KK now.

"that spirit" is retreating to henka and various sidesteps at tachiai....

he just can't win the "normal" way.......man to man he would be 4-11 for nagoya 2013

Me, either. Takanoyama's assets are speed and technique. Charging people that outweigh him by 50 kilos isn't 'honorable', it's stupid. And in matches where he doesn't blindly charge forward and get blown away, we're rewarded with some of the most entertaining back-and-forth matches in sumo. He'll never be one of those plodding belt-fighters, why should he be constrained to fight in such a 2-dimensional way?

• Like 3

"that spirit" is retreating to henka and various sidesteps at tachiai....

he just can't win the "normal" way.......man to man he would be 4-11 for nagoya 2013

There's pretty much no other way to fight in sumo but "man to man", outside of onnazumo. If you mean, he should meet each tachi-ai squarely and pit his body against that of his opponent, the word for that isn't "man-to-man", it's "stupid".

I think part of his problem early in this basho is that he'd become predictable. It doesn't matter how fast you are if your opponent knows what you're going to do before you do it. He needs to figure out how to win the "jan-ken" game of "which way will Takanoyama go this time?" a bit more consistently.

Edited by Kuroyama

I wouldn't mind Takanoyama to use henka all the time.

Has he tried eating stuff like pizza, ice cream, Fettuccini Alfredo, etc.?