Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

Nagoya 2013 Videos- Promo and All Days

Brilliant bout between Takanoiwa and Tokushoryu! Made my heart pound!

• Like 1

I think Chiyotairyu's tachi-ai would have killed any normal human being, but Hakuho is that powerful.

Maybe all of Gagamaru's power was in that hideous old mawashi of his.

This is what popped into my head when I read your comment:

(to the tune of Frosty the Snowman)

Gaga the Georgian, was a rolly polly man

He was big and round and he often frowned,

Earth wobbled when he ran.

Gaga the Georgian, was rikishi they say,

He would push and thrust, winning oshi-dash;

that's his favorite kimarite.

There must have been some magic in that

old silk belt he wore,

for when he donned his new brown threads,

he acheived a rotten score.

Thumpety thump thump, thumpety thump thump

Look at Gaga roll

Thumpety thump thump, thumpety thump thump

Over the whole dohyo!

• Like 3

It's still the old Gaga against whom the likes of Fujiazuma just can't win. He's just out of his depth on the banzuke, that's all.

• Like 1

At 4.46 during the Kitataiki-Okinoumi bout, one of them let's out a very loud burp.

At least, I hope it was a burp!

best mono-ii commentary ... EVER.

thank you for the laughs you provided here.

• Like 1

Is there something in the water or has Chiyotairyu been a wakeup call? Remarkably fierce performance all around today. Me likey.

best mono-ii commentary ... EVER.

thank you for the laughs you provided here.

100% agreed, great stuff Kinta :)

So, what's up with Gagamaru? This is more than being out of his depth on the banzuke. Getting tossed about by Hakuho and the ozekis is one thing, but now he's being forced out by rikishi that shouldn't be able to push him around like this. Is he injured? Deliberately tanking so that he can move down into lower maegashira for a few tournaments?

So, what's up with Gagamaru? This is more than being out of his depth on the banzuke. Getting tossed about by Hakuho and the ozekis is one thing, but now he's being forced out by rikishi that shouldn't be able to push him around like this. Is he injured? Deliberately tanking so that he can move down into lower maegashira for a few tournaments?

Records against the guys he has met so far:

Kotooushuu- 0-6

Kakuryuu-0-5

Kotoshougiku-1-5

Harumafuji- 1-5

Hakuhou - 0-5

Kisenosato - 0-6

Fujiazuma - 4-0 (and he beat him)

Takarafuji - 0-2

Ikioi -2-4

So you see, he is beating who he's supposed to beat and losing to who he is supposed to lose. There really is nothing out of the ordinary.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 2

not to mention that his skill level is not for the meat-grinder. He is big and from Georgia (naturally strong like many Caucasians) .... that's what he offers. Don't ask for more ... he cannot provide.

btw ... i consider Gagamaru to be an overachiever. I would never bet that he would be in Makuuchi for ~20 basho.

btw ... i consider Gagamaru to be an overachiever. I would never bet that he would be in Makuuchi for ~20 basho.

I had the same thought back when he got completely bombed in his first meatgrinder appearance (checking...that 2-13 in Kyushu 2011), but I've lost that virtual bet with myself. He has held up pretty well, I think in large part because he seems to have remained fairly healthy despite that massive weight. If his knees ever start going, it's probably game over pretty quickly though.

In any case, the upper makuuchi guys just demonstrate that they're capable of doing with Gagamaru what Onosho did with Orora today - if you've got the horsepower and you manage to catch your opponent flatfooted, even 200+ kg can be moved back with relative ease. And Gagamaru just doesn't have any sufficiently good secondary tools to deal with that.

• Like 1

Forget what I said about the water - not much fighting spirit today (apart from Takayasu-Shohozan).

Watching today's vid (thx btw) I came to wonder: Why exactly do we tend to call the relevant affair "yusho race"? The guys take more than two weeks to figure out who has to clean out the shelves for hosting the pottery. In comparison test match cricket is a light-speed event.

Yusho creep?

Watching today's vid (thx btw) I came to wonder: Why exactly do we tend to call the relevant affair "yusho race"? The guys take more than two weeks to figure out who has to clean out the shelves for hosting the pottery. In comparison test match cricket is a light-speed event.

Yusho creep?

Time is relative isn't it? To me an hour of cricket lasts 5000 years.

• Like 1

Yusho creep?

Baseball? Pennant race? What, six months?

• Like 1

Yusho creep?

Time is relative isn't it? To me an hour of cricket lasts 5000 years.

Blasphemy! I love sumo but I'd give it all up for test cricket

• Like 2

Blasphemy! I love sumo but I'd give it all up for test cricket

i prefer 20-20