Sign in to follow this  
Akinomaki

Yokozuna/Ozeki preperandum - Nagoya 2013

A fact from the Hakuho research he mentioned in “Tetsuko no heya”: with a weight of about 150kg (now 155), 116kg were muscle mass.

Biology/physiology is not exactly my forté, but does that strike anybody else as totally unrealistic? From what I can find googling around, somebody as tall as Hakuho should have around 20 kg in skeletal weight (maybe even more, given the body weight his bones have to support), maybe 10-15 kg in his internal organs and obviously 5+ kg in blood. That alone gets us to his total body weight if the claimed muscle mass was accurate, and I'm pretty sure he doesn't have 0% fat and a complete lack of connective tissue...

I wonder if they meant lean body mass (LBM), rather than muscle mass. Lean body mass is calculated by subtracting an individual's fat mass from their total mass, and so LBM includes muscle, bone, connective tissue, etc.

Though that would be his actual muscle mass quite low (80kg give or take), which seems unlikely.

Anyways, just food for thought (even if I've provided no useful answer).

• Like 2

A fact from the Hakuho research he mentioned in “Tetsuko no heya”: with a weight of about 150kg (now 155), 116kg were muscle mass.

Biology/physiology is not exactly my forté, but does that strike anybody else as totally unrealistic? From what I can find googling around, somebody as tall as Hakuho should have around 20 kg in skeletal weight (maybe even more, given the body weight his bones have to support), maybe 10-15 kg in his internal organs and obviously 5+ kg in blood. That alone gets us to his total body weight if the claimed muscle mass was accurate, and I'm pretty sure he doesn't have 0% fat and a complete lack of connective tissue...

It's totally unrealistic. In an average human muscle makes up about 42-45% of body mass. As he doesn't weigh 200+ kilos it can't be correct. 80kgs of muscle would be a more appropriate number

• Like 1

Right Osunaarashi (14-1)

Looks like Myogiryu to me.

Looks like Kaihou to me.

• Like 3

Left - Hakuho and Kisenosato zensho (ketteisen).

Isn’t this impossible? At best it could be a 14–1 kettei-sen? Unless I’m misunderstanding the word’s meaning.
Unless Miyagino-beya will merge with Naruto-beya in a couple of days.
  • Like 4

It's totally unrealistic. In an average human muscle makes up about 42-45% of body mass. As he doesn't weigh 200+ kilos it can't be correct. 80kgs of muscle would be a more appropriate number

I also deemed that figure to be unrealistic, but they were only talking about muscles. I don't know what else was included to get to that number.

Left - Hakuho and Kisenosato zensho (ketteisen).

Isn’t this impossible? At best it could be a 14–1 kettei-sen? Unless I’m misunderstanding the word’s meaning.
Unless Miyagino-beya will merge with Naruto-beya in a couple of days.

Well, actually AFAIK there is no rule that says the torikumi schedule has to include any specific match, is there? Maybe it just slips their mind to pair those two :)

Kisenosato today at the heya 17(-0) in a row with Takayasu.
The base of his right leg seemed to trouble him, yet: “It's OK. The leg being tired means to have been able to use the lower half.”
Kensho are also a stimulation: the lodging reservation site “yukoyuko” gives two a day, ramen restaurant chain “Sugakiya” one a day for his bouts this basho.
Hakuho encouraging Kisenosato: “If he doesn't forget his sumo from last basho he will be close (to yokozuna), won't he ?.”
sum13070518100006-p1.jpg

mrt13070510490000-p1.jpg

After banzuke publication
001.jpg

• Like 2

Hakuho before the basho didn't train with any high ranked rikishi, whom he may encounter in the basho.
Only low maegashira and juryo as sekitori, else low rankers. A plan to train with Kakuryu on the 3rd in Kataonami-beya failed, the heya refused, he went to Shikoroyama-beya.

Yesterday, Hakuho, Kyokutenho (with whom he did not train at Tomozuna-beya), after keiko with kids
06132246.jpg

At the zenya-sai
PK2013070502100076_size0.jpg
Harumafuji aims for the 3rd Nagoya yusho in a row.

• Like 1

116kgs of LBM is fair enough, definitely sounds accurate and would put his body fat percentage around 23% which for a man that huge is incredibly low and attests to his very high degree of physical conditioning.

• Like 2

On the June, 14th, Harumafuji's wife gave birth to their first son, after two daughters. Another stimulus for him, but the baby is maybe too small yet to hold him with the emperor’s cup in the other hand.
He also passed the final exam at the Mongolian national law university, police law faculty, at which he had studied for 3 years by correspondence education.

Kotooshu got a laceration at the right eye on the 28th. During furious keiko the opponent's head hit him there. 8 stitches at a hospital were necessary, as the bleeding didn't stop. After that, in fear of it opening up again, he did no keiko bouts.
->Tospo pic

Kise yesterday with Takayasu
20130706-321364-1-L.jpg

At the dohyo-matsuri today.
sum13070614540001-p1.jpg

06136178.jpg

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 2

Statistics say that if Kisenosato wins the first 5 days, he'll make it to yokozuna, like the recent others on yokozuna run. Kitanoumi-riji-cho said he must win the first 8, tori-koboshi (losing to low rankers) is not allowed. Yusho with 11, 12 wins is not sufficient, but 13 wins and yusho should make it definite. 14-1 jun-yusho remains a delicate point, but it look like that will be enough, YDC chief Uchiyama had indicated his OK.
Demon-kakka in his pre-basho outlook names as first rikishi of interest Fiamalu Penitani (Musashikuni), in continuation of last basho to some extent Oosunaarashi – though he doesn't expect that the others will allow him to win like before, as in the higher ranks lower half strength increasingly becomes important.
Main interest of course is Kisenosato: having a losing streak to Hakuho he sees as not important. Kisenosato always gives Hakuho a good fight, having beaten him on crucial occasions (remember he stopped Hakuho's winning streak). He should go relaxed into that match, he can afford to lose that one bout, and he may thus win it.
Demon's basho jinku was: With mixing it more an more, it becomes tasty/excellent and sticky/persistent – natto, natto:
as Kisenosato is from Ibaraki-pref., where natto is popular and is produced mainly. Mixing means degeiko.
sp-hk130707-2-ns-big.jpg

06138135.jpg

06138133.jpg

20130707k0000m050086000p_size5.jpg

20130706-340641-1-L.jpg

NGY201307060012.jpg

spo1307070721002-p1.jpg

• Like 4