Sign in to follow this  
Shiro

Greatest Maegashira

Its not a matter if they reached sanyaku once or twice, or if they got demoted once or twice, or even how many tournaments they fought. Its a matter of being remembered as better rikishi than their scores suggest.

In my mind, someone like Kotonishiki for example is present as a sanyaku rikishi, not a maegashira. Its rikishi like Kyokutenho, Mainoumi or Kushimaumi that I will always remember as "Great Maegashira".

Well, given that Kyokutenho spent no less than 12 tournaments in sanyaku I think you've just called him a worse rikishi than his results suggest... I don't think people generally think of, say, Kotonowaka and Tochinonada as maegashira, and their sanyaku resumes are shorter than Tenho's.

True, he did spend 12 tournaments in sanyaku. But he also spent 6 dozen tournaments as a maegashira (and counting), and his sanyaku appearances were usually ranging from bad to disastrous... Same goes for Tochinonada and Kotonowaka (although they both had a little better luck in the sanyaku ranks, but not impressively so).

Its quite possible that I am in the minority, but for me all these rikishi are in the "great maegashira" category, not in the "sometime sanyaku who couldn't cut it" category, mostly because my good memories of them are from their maegashira days... For me a "sanyaku" rikishi is someone who held sanyaku ranks consistently, and held his own at these ranks, at least for a while (like Kotonishiki).

Essentially my personal definition of a good maegashira is someone whose wall proved to be the sanyaku or event the upper maegashira, but is still good enough to be remembered fondly.

• Like 1

For easy browsing, here are the relevant career Maegashira of !pre-historic times:

Makuuchi tournaments (30+) of career Maegashira

Name

Makuuchi Debut

Basho

Higonoumi

Asanowaka

Kotoryu

Tokitsuumi

Kitakachidoki

Minatofuji

Daiyu

Kasugafuji

Yoshikaze

(42)

Aogiyama

Yoshinohana

Tokibayama

Tochioyama

Misugiiso

Kushimaumi

Kirinishiki

Jumonji

Wakasegawa

Asanosho

Kasugao

Toyohibiki

(32)

Udagawa

Amanoyama

Toyonoumi

Otsukasa

damn ... i forgot about Kasugao (for me he was always the "rikishi that could have been ... but never was")

After Kaiho and Kyokushuzan he completes my top 3.

Edited by aderechelsea
  • Like 1

Well... the strongest rikishi with the highest rank M1 might very well have been Wakanoho... if not the greatest because his career was too short.

This is a tough question. Definitely NOT Asanowaka. I liked Kaiho, he was always fun to watch. I suppose next will be the greatest Sekiwake ever. Names that immediately come to mind are Kotonishiki, Takatouriki, and Wakanosato.

Towanoyama definitely wasn't. Career makuuchi record of 0-1-14. That loss being a fusen. Poor guy. A long career that is still ongoing at sandanme, and he had to watch what would have been his greatest fortnight by the sidelines.

If he doesn't call it quits meanwhile, July will mark his 20th anniversary on competition.

The given conditions are to tricky for me, so I'll disregard all rikishi who made it to sanyaku and say Tokitsuumi as the greatest. For longevity and the fact that he won more sansho than any other career maegashira (4). After him Kushimaumi.

The given conditions are to tricky for me, so I'll disregard all rikishi who made it to sanyaku and say Tokitsuumi as the greatest. For longevity and the fact that he won more sansho than any other career maegashira (4). After him Kushimaumi.

My favorite after reviewing the list of rikishi who never made it to Komusubi or above is also Tokitsuumi. I remember enjoying his style of sumo while feeling that he did not have the physical presence required to acheive a higher rank.