Sign in to follow this  
Asojima

Natsu Basho 2013 discussion thread

Kyokutenho looked so lackluster today, that, as his fan, I really hope it was a case of him helping fellow old-dog Wakanosato rather than an indication of actual energy levels available...

Kyokutenho just never got the grip he was seeking - he tried to get a right-hand inside grip, but Wakanosato wouldn't let him. When Kyokutenho gave up on that, Wakanosato suddenly found himself with morozashi, the momentum was with him and it was an easy march to the edge.

Bout of the day for me was Asasekiryu's win against Takanoiwa. Great defence/evasion skills at the edge from the senior Mongolian.

Edited by Yubinhaad

Kyokutenho looked so lackluster today, that, as his fan, I really hope it was a case of him helping fellow old-dog Wakanosato rather than an indication of actual energy levels available...

Kyokutenho has clearly lost something in the past two months and his loss to Wakanosato shows just that.

Kyokutenhou simply can't act. I KNEW 100% he will lose today. Wink wink. A loss for him today means nothing to him-he has some to spare. OTOH, a loss for Wakanosato could mean everything. It's veteran bro day today, bro..

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 2

i wonder how may times can Daikiho run backwards till he reaches the tawara and then submit to a yoritaoshi/abisetaoshi ? Unbelievable ...

Long thread so far, but no one discussed whether Kisenosato has this time the stuff to take the cup?! Do you think he can manage it? I am quite satisfied that we have at least five rikishi who can seriously win the cup... I hope one ozeki will win :)

Kisenosato is certainly doing very well, but so is Hakuhō. Kisenosato has a chance, but it’s to be seen what’ll happen in the final days.

Well, since Kisenosato managed to extend his personal best basho starting record from 8-0 to 10-0 already, he is slowly entering the zone where he might be considered for special Japanese Yusho In The Making treatment.

My favourite moment of the basho so far came today when Yoshikaze head-butted Toyohibiki in the ass to knock him out of the dohyo and win the bout:).

Long thread so far, but no one discussed whether Kisenosato has this time the stuff to take the cup?! Do you think he can manage it? I am quite satisfied that we have at least five rikishi who can seriously win the cup... I hope one ozeki will win :)

Usually he gets this far in the basho then stops winning when he meets the other Ozeki. He's passed the easiest of the Ozeki hurdles in Osh, and has also beaten Baruto (who normally has his number but we can blame that one on the knee), a completely switched on Myogiryu, and Goeido who is doing his normal win-lose-win-lose thing. He is consequently doing better than usual and Kise looks switched on and better than I've seen him for a while but the real test starts now with the other two Ozeki on their game, and then the two Yokozunas...

i wonder how may times can Daikiho run backwards till he reaches the tawara and then submit to a yoritaoshi/abisetaoshi ? Unbelievable ...

He made it through juryo with last-gasp counterpunches while on the edge. Except now he's being eaten alive whenever he tries.

Osunaarashi ... a one-trick pony, ... just beat Endo by a nifty utchari ... 'won' by falling backwards onto his arse.

I was so thrilled at this bout. Had to watch it 8 times. I thought it was great. I'm looking forward to see these two meet more often in Makuuchi pretty soon.

I was so wrong in my prediction that Osunaarashi will hit the wall in Mid-Makushita. Calling him "one-trick" seems bizarre to me.

Usually he gets this far in the basho then stops winning when he meets the other Ozeki. He's passed the easiest of the Ozeki hurdles in Osh, and has also beaten Baruto (who normally has his number but we can blame that one on the knee), a completely switched on Myogiryu, and Goeido who is doing his normal win-lose-win-lose thing. He is consequently doing better than usual and Kise looks switched on and better than I've seen him for a while but the real test starts now with the other two Ozeki on their game, and then the two Yokozunas...

Not really so. His record against last 4 ozeki + yokozuna in last 6 bashos:

Harumafuji 3-3

Kakuryu 4-2

Kotoshogiku 5-1

Hakuho 0-6

So he is not about to lose all but he does need to beat Hakuho again to be able to take yusho.

He will have a good chance if he gets into hidariyotsu with Hakuho or keeps the bout totally off the belt.

Kotoshogiku bout most likely goes to the one who gets right uwate first and lately he has been able to achieve that.

He will beat Kakuryu unless he gives morozashi.

Harumafuji bout will be furious if he doesn't screw up the tachi-ai.

Kakuryu looks great too. He is almost as good as Miyogiryu in getting the advantage in arm fencing duel and penetrates well into opponent's defence.

• Like 4

Well, since Kisenosato managed to extend his personal best basho starting record from 8-0 to 10-0 already, he is slowly entering the zone where he might be considered for special Japanese Yusho In The Making treatment.

Just in case anyone is unaware, January 2006 (Tochiazuma) was the last time a Japanese born rikishi won the makuuchi yusho. Over seven years. Could this finally be the end of that unwelcome streak? Kise certainly looks "in the zone" to me too. And he is capable of beating Hakuho.

On a side note, while Goeido and Tochiozan are both gathering the most attention when it comes to ozeki contenders.. I got a feeling Myogiryu will come from behind and take it first.

Tochiozan? Don't see it happen, even less than with Goeido.

Kisenosato is the first Japanese Ozeki in nine (9!!) years to start off with 10 consecutive wins. The last ones were Chiyotaikai and KaioU back in Haru of 2004.

Great effort from Tochinoshin, i think he had a worse grip and was in a worse position than Okinoumi, is that right?

Great effort from Tochinoshin, i think he had a worse grip and was in a worse position than Okinoumi, is that right?

Yes, but he was determined to win.

• Like 1

Well... things continue to stay interesting this Basho. Baruto is out. Goeido is having trouble, so is Kotooshu. Kisenosato and Hakuho still in the lead with Kakuryu in pursuit and Harumafuji trying to catch up as-well. Who knows, we might lose both sekiwake, both komosubi and an Ozeki while seeing a Yusho play-off at the end.

Sounds like fun. Of-course that's the extreme scenario. But the most exciting. :)

Edited by ArchangelEST

Hakuhō and Kisenosato at 11–0, Kakuryū at 10–1 and Harumafuji at 9–2, anything could still happen. Kotoōshū will have to beat at least one of the latter three in order to retain ōzeki status, having failed against Hakuhō today.

Hakuhō and Kisenosato at 11–0, Kakuryū at 10–1 and Harumafuji at 9–2, anything could still happen. Kotoōshū will have to beat at least one of the latter three in order to retain ōzeki status, having failed against Hakuhō today.

Osh has already faced Kisenosato.

The Tochinoshin versus Okinoumi bout was absolutely thrilling. Who would have thought that two rikishi with a combined score of 1-19 would have had enough oomph between them to have produced a spectacle like that?