Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

Natsu 2013 new recruits

FWIW, on the Michinoku homepage Yato's real name is shown as 八藤 新悟, not in katakana. I can only imagine that something went wrong when the data was handed to the Kyokai staff.

Kirinofuji's brother I assume.

I think so, and I've just read something that (if true) explains the initial katakana writing - allegedly he's Brazilian (dunno if nisei or a later generation) and only received Japanese citizenship on May 10, explaining the later change from katakana to kanji.

Looking at the pics of the two, it's certainly not out of the realm of possibility that they've got at least one non-Japanese parent or grandparent:

Kirinofuji:

pic_heya23.jpg

Yato:

pic_heya28.jpg

• Like 1

Any additional info that coul help me do some research here in Brazil?

In fact Yato seems to have some Brazilian ancestor,

I've seen his full name given as Paulo (or Paolo?) Shingo Yato, and he supposedly was the finalist in some Brazilian or South American sumo tournament last year...couldn't find anything on a quick search though.

Anybody know why Musashimaru's nephew stayed out of the mae-zumo during Natsu?

All new foreigners have a one-basho cooling off period for visa purposes and stuff. He'll be there come July.

As far as I know some of Kirinofuji's/Yato's relatives (maybe their mother) live on the philippine islands. Kirinofuji is Kagamio's tsukebito in the moment.

I've seen his full name given as Paulo (or Paolo?) Shingo Yato, and he supposedly was the finalist in some Brazilian or South American sumo tournament last year...couldn't find anything on a quick search though.

More likely Paulo (Portuguese version) than Paolo (Italian version) since Brazil speak a kind of Portuguese.

What`s up with Ikeru? He gets 2 Yusho and lots of basho out - injury or what?

A question asked many times, but no one knows (or if they do, they're not talking). Looking back, the assumption is that he gets hurt. But no one's mentioned seeing him get hurt during an actual basho. (he seemed ok after losing his last match during Natsu 2012) Here's his sumo database record.