Sign in to follow this  
Masumasumasu

Shohozan Married

His wife is 26 year old Ai-san, a former nurse. She is three months pregnant, which means he should be a father come October. They were married at the end of March but Shouhouzan announced it at a press conference this morning. "I hope we can support each other and have a fun life!" he said. He was introduced to her by an acquaintance last March. "I like her levelheadedness," he explained. She knew nothing about sumo when they met, but at some point she had said to him that she would not marry him unless he makes it to Sanyaku.. He did make it to Komusubi in January but has had two consecutive MKs since then. "I have to take care of the two of them. I'll do a lot of keiko and get back up the ranks," he promised.

sum13041711490002-p1.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 2

I love that pic. Always good to see that big smile he is hiding. Looks like his wife studied up enough to know what sanyaku was in time to five him the conditions for marriage.

Have you ever shaken hands with a sumo wrestler, especially one who practices a lot of tsuppari? Covered with thick calluses. Just wondered for the first time what their spouses and girlfriends think of that.

I guess some martial artists do the same thing? Don't know much about it.

Have you ever shaken hands with a sumo wrestler, especially one who practices a lot of tsuppari? Covered with thick calluses. Just wondered for the first time what their spouses and girlfriends think of that.

It's a sign of a hard worker. Either a laborer, athlete, etc. Like myself, many dedicated weight lifters have thick callouses. I also have them from drumming for years. To me, hands that are soft and callous free are quite feminine (not knocking any men who match this description) and usually the sign of somebody who doesn't use their hands much.

It's a sign of a hard worker. Either a laborer, athlete, etc. Like myself, many dedicated weight lifters have thick callouses. I also have them from drumming for years. To me, hands that are soft and callous free are quite feminine (not knocking any men who match this description) and usually the sign of somebody who doesn't use their hands much.

I have shaken the hand of many world-class pianists. None of them had callouses.

"To me, hands that are soft and callous free are quite feminine (not knocking any men who match this description)"

Or women who don't match this description I assume. ;-)

"and usually the sign of somebody who doesn't use their hands much."

I use my hands all the time, but I think I know where you are coming from.

-------

I love the extra pics of Shohozan and his wife Ai, Yubinhaad. Thanks.

"To me, hands that are soft and callous free are quite feminine (not knocking any men who match this description)"

Or women who don't match this description I assume. ;-)

"and usually the sign of somebody who doesn't use their hands much."

I use my hands all the time, but I think I know where you are coming from.

-------

I love the extra pics of Shohozan and his wife Ai, Yubinhaad. Thanks.

Yeah, it varies from person to person. Sweat is a very important factor in forming calluses. Consider yourself lucky because when those suckers tear open it hurts like hell.

EDIT: This is besides the point, though. Congrats to Shohozan!!

Edited by iron bug

I have shaken the hand of many world-class pianists. None of them had callouses.

Not even on their fingertips? Not that you'd detect that from shaking hands, necessarily.

"Yeah, it varies from person to person. Sweat is a very important factor in forming calluses. Consider yourself lucky because when those suckers tear open it hurts like hell."

I would have never guessed the sweat factor.

EDIT: Yes, asides aside: Congratulations to Shohozan!

Men have to reach san'yaku to get married, women only need to sport a nice smile.

Edited by shumitto

Men have to reach san'yaku to get married, women only need to sport a nice smile.

I'm glad one of then can smile...

Shoho looks like he was passing a kidney stone.

Edited by Couginishiki

Shohozan had his wedding reception today with about 440 guests. His first son was born last October.

Demon-kakka holding the son

http://www.hochi.co.jp/sports/sumo/20140620-OHT1T50290.html

20140620-OHT1I50089-L.jpg

20140620-OHT1I50089-S.jpg

Entering to the sound of sumo jinku

there he was before

pictures from the Yasukuni shrine, where the jungyo resumed today.

Shohozan with his son Yukiya, now six months old, wearing an identical kesho-mawashi.

Jungyo108_Shohozan.jpg

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 4

I rather like how people are not so stuck on how their teeth look in Japan.

Edited by Asameshimae

True, Not a good indicator of hard work. Same goes for surgeons and dentists...

Now, go play footsie with a ballerina.