Sign in to follow this  
Fay

Adoptee record

Let's have a look on (some of) my adoptees.

Hokaho, Miyagino Beya

8588065173_7885030dd4_z.jpg

His first time in the joi-jin. He started very nervous and seemed to be a bit overburdened. 4 straight losses but than he got more confident and could get 3 wins. I think he can get kachi koshi in May again and I'm sure he will make it to sekitori. It may last a while but we are patient and never give up.

Wakamisho, who will be Isegahama Beya in May

8589167030_4c8653e91e_z.jpg
Wakamisho was not satisfied with his last banzuke position, Ms 20, he thought he should at least be 17. Well after this basho he will be in the joi-jin , a 5-2 result and only losses to Kamei, the makushita yusho winner and his fellow mongolian Ryuonami. And he really improved his technic, he doesn't only rely on his weight and height anymore. Still a lot to do of course.
Dewahayate, Dewanoumi Beya
8589166988_b19a2c246a_z.jpg

3 straight kachi koshi for the small and light Dewahayate. He is one of the best technican in makushita in my humble opinion, I enjoy his bouts and he will also go up to the joi-jin in May.

Kotomatsuo, Sadogatake Beya

8589167028_fecf074c17_z.jpg

As I already had a small and light rikishi in Dewahayate, here is another one. Young Kotomatsuo, 1,68, maybe 90 kg now and also a good technican. He was very depressed at Kyushu Basho with his 2-5. All his bouts were very close, one of them he clearly won although the shimpan decided against him. My photo showed that he won but he said a loss is a loss, he has to respect it. Well said.

Kaito, Tomozuna Beya

8588065149_3190d410df_z.jpg
Kaito is half philippine and half japanese and a new talent at Tomozuna Beya. 5 basho and 4 kachi koshi, not bad at all. Surely worth to watch him in future.

My infamous, imprecise, and indefatigable Talentometer program churned out the following line before Haru Basho:

Kaito Jd1e 16 6 58 60 Yokozuna 91

The entries mean: Kaito, currently Jd1e, 16 years old, sixth basho. Best rank so far was on the 58th percentile of the banzuke. Current rank is on the 60th percentile. Highest predicted rank: Yokozuna. Will decline after 91 bashos.

Of course one needs a huge grain of salt to stomach this information, but Kaito's definitely got talent.

• Like 2

Wakamisho was not satisfied with his last banzuke position, Ms 20, he thought he should at least be 17.

That would have been rather surprising.

which proves that the rikishi never would win the GTB ;-)

My infamous, imprecise, and indefatigable Talentometer program churned out the following line before Haru Basho:

Kaito Jd1e 16 6 58 60 Yokozuna 91

The entries mean: Kaito, currently Jd1e, 16 years old, sixth basho. Best rank so far was on the 58th percentile of the banzuke. Current rank is on the 60th percentile. Highest predicted rank: Yokozuna. Will decline after 91 bashos.

Of course one needs a huge grain of salt to stomach this information, but Kaito's definitely got talent.

OMG I always knew I have an intuition for winner (Laughing...). Here we have him, the next japanese yokozuna (ok half japanese). I better don't tell him ...

BTW, since Randomitsuki has already posted here, I'm feeling compelled to note that his 9th-least-descript rikishi defied all odds to finish 6-1 and will probably be just a 4-3 record away from juryo next time.

If you expand your search in such a way his claim becomes a tiny little bit more valid. But not much really...

Yeah, large jumps can happen but mostly just when something makes room for it. Taking the top 5 from that list - two cases are from Natsu 2011 (post-yaocho), one is from Hatsu 2008 (three intai, two 0-win and one 1-win record above Ms15), and two are from Nagoya 2007 (three intai, two zero-win, two 1-win).

He'll be getting an above-average promotion this time, most likely. BTW, I'm really happy for yusho winner Kamei for this reason, too - three of his previous four KKs resulted in promotions that were among the smallest of the last decade. Don't think anybody else in upper makushita had worse banzuke luck over the last year.

Edited by Asashosakari

I'm pretty new here and I've decided as I've started following sumo beyond the top division, to adopt one guy from each of the six divisions. My loosely-defined criteria were to pick lighter rikishi and mostly guys that in the current basho have about a .500 record or slightly better in the lower part of their division. I also tried to not pick "obvious" choices like Takanoyama.

I ended up with seven as I couldn't bear to cut either of my two favorites from lower Jonidan. Chiba's the Prince of 3-4 and Oshio's the most fun of the scrawny guys. Unfortunately, Oshio's already 24 and it's hard to see him getting big enough to ever be able to beat anyone but other little guys and the greenest of the young flabby kids.

So, presenting the AkaikeInfo Virtual Beya:

Makuuchi: Ikioi (26, 191 cm, 131 kg, current rank M9, current record 7-5, career high M3)

Juryo: Kitaharima (26, 182 cm, 117 kg, current rank J12, current record 6-6, career high J8)

Makushita: Chiyoshoma (21, Mongolian, 183 cm, 90 kg, current rank Ms32, current record 4-2, career high Ms32)

Sandanme: Sadanasato (20, 183 cm, 119 kg, current rank Sd85, current record 4-2, career high Sd85)

Jonidan: Chibahibiki (20, 175 cm, 98 kg, current rank Jd84, current record 3-3, career high Jd84) and Oshio (24, 167 cm, 67 kg, current rank Jd90, current record 4-2, career high Jd51)

Jonokuchi: Matsuda (18, 179 cm, 89 kg, current rank Jk15, current record 3-3, first basho beyond Mz)

I'd like to eventually have 10-12 adoptees, so I'll pick up shin-deshi or others if they meet my random criteria or I need to replace people as they go intai.

EDIT: Obviously I have to add this guy:

Mae-zumo: Ogiryu (16, 175 cm, 67 kg, current rank Mz, current record 2-2)

Edited by akaikeinfo

Ms50w Ryuden (10.11.1990) kyujo

Sd90w Keitenkai (10.3.1990) kyujo

Ms9w Dewahayate (31.1.1989) 3-3

Sd71e Ebisumaru (31.5.1991) 1-5

Sd52e Asanotosa (10.11.1981) 3-3

Sd60e Daishokai (25.12.1990) 3-3

Sd20w Kotokuzan (11.3.1994) 4-2

Oh, I didn't know someone else has Dewahayate as adoptee. But he's indeed very interesting and promising.

And about Ryuden and Keitenkai, it's really unlucky, both get Sekitori and get injured in the first basho in Juryo...

Does someone know something about Kotokuzan? He's japanese but his real name is very unjapanese. :-D

Maybe it's just a name but maybe there's some story about him?

Maybe I'll also take some rikishis from Jonokuchi soon. Apart from Ryuden all of them I started watching in Sandanme. But I really should take time watching Jonidan and Jonokuchi. I'm always very excited about the bouts in Makushita and Sandanme.

Does someone know something about Kotokuzan? He's japanese but his real name is very unjapanese. :-D

Maybe it's just a name but maybe there's some story about him?

He's half-Filipino if I remember correctly.