Sign in to follow this  
Asashosakari

Promotion/Demotion discussion Haru 2013

Well, 10-5 from K is still enough to possibly start an Ozeki run, in the off chance Tochiozan can pull of a Kaio and go 24-6 or so in the next two basho, I doubt he'll be kept from Ozeki :-)

Well, 10-5 from K is still enough to possibly start an Ozeki run, in the off chance Tochiozan can pull of a Kaio and go 24-6 or so in the next two basho, I doubt he'll be kept from Ozeki :-)

Would that be a straight jump from K to O if Goeido and Baruto keep their 8 / 9 wins a basho, thus not getting neither demoted nor promoted? That sounds really unthinkable to me.

Would that be a straight jump from K to O if Goeido and Baruto keep their 8 / 9 wins a basho, thus not getting neither demoted nor promoted? That sounds really unthinkable to me.

Well, now we are in wild theory zone, but assuming he did a 12-3 next basho, he would be promoted as a third Sekiwake irrespective of the others scores, and then another 12-3 would probably see him to Ozeki...

FWIW, in the only case of a rikishi going K 10-5 -> K 10-5 with both sekiwake also kachikoshi (Kitao Haru 1985), they made an extra slot for him the second time around. With anything less (e.g. 10/9, 9/10) they can always insist that's not good enough for an ozeki run, so there's really no need to move the rikishi to sekiwake. 10/10 is just about the only combination without an 11-4 that should probably be considered ozeki-run-worthy. (And anything with an 11-4 results in promotion to sekiwake regardless, historically.)

Edited by Asashosakari

Being quite the noob when it comes to Sumo history - I'm wondering... has there been a case where two sekitori are making an Ozeki run at the same time and both end up making it? Actually the starting point doesn't matter as much I imagine, just if there has been a double Ozeki promotion in the past?

Musashimaru and Takanonami come to mind, both promoted for Haru 1994...

Being quite the noob when it comes to Sumo history - I'm wondering... has there been a case where two sekitori are making an Ozeki run at the same time and both end up making it? Actually the starting point doesn't matter as much I imagine, just if there has been a double Ozeki promotion in the past?

Haru 1994: Takanonami / Musashimaru

Kyushu 1972: Wajima / Takanohana

Nagoya 1962: Tochinoumi / Tochihikari

Hatsu 1956: Wakanohana / Matsunobori

Natsu 1951: Yoshibayama / Kagamisato

It can also happen for a double Yokozuna promotion, certainly much more difficult to get:

Haru 1970: Kitanofuji / Tamanoumi

Kyushu 1961: Taiho / Kashiwado

Haru 1943: Akinoumi / Terukuni

FWIW, in the only case of a rikishi going K 10-5 -> K 10-5 with both sekiwake also kachikoshi (Kitao Haru 1985), they made an extra slot for him the second time around. With anything less (e.g. 10/9, 9/10) they can always insist that's not good enough for an ozeki run, so there's really no need to move the rikishi to sekiwake. 10/10 is just about the only combination without an 11-4 that should probably be considered ozeki-run-worthy. (And anything with an 11-4 results in promotion to sekiwake regardless, historically.)

That explains it.

Is there is a difference in salary between K and S?

I'm happy for Kamei. He finally makes it to Juryo. I like his sumo, he's a real uwatenage-monster. :-D

Did we just get two new tsuyuharai for the Yokozuna?

None, actually. Quite puzzling to see Kaisei again instead of Daikiho.

maybe it is because daikiho will have a very early bout every day and is on the other side of the kokugikan

maybe it is because daikiho will have a very early bout every day and is on the other side of the kokugikan

My money would be on the lack of oicho-mage. I guess it doesn't fit the kyokai standards to have someone with a blatant sign of being on his early career having a spot that's supposed to be for respectable and accomplished rikishi.

My money would be on the lack of oicho-mage. I guess it doesn't fit the kyokai standards to have someone with a blatant sign of being on his early career having a spot that's supposed to be for respectable and accomplished rikishi.

or they don't want to make the change without knowing whether Daikiho can establish himself in the upper deck - which so far he clearly failed to prove.