Sign in to follow this  
Igordemorais

Haru Basho 2013 - Discussion Thread

I'l be cheering for Harumafuji in the in the final confrontation of the two Yokozuna, Hak already has the Yusho and Haru could very much do with a win, the personal rivalry between the two Yokozuna is a mini-Yusho in itself.

Edited by Bugman
  • Like 1

One aspect of this basho that has interested me particularly is that it is the first time that a number of young up and coming rikishi have been in the upper maegashira meat grinder positions and I'm interested in how people think they have gone. Takayasu, Chiotairyu, and Ikioi all had their first basho facing the big boys, while Shohazan had his second in that position, after getting spanked at Komosubi in the last basho. These guys are all young, improving rikishi who may fill the sanyaku ranks in the next few years.

Of the four Chiotairyu looked the most at home before injuring himself, given that he beat a Yokozuna and two Ozeki, but is he a one trick pony? Ikioi has unfortunately looked right out of his depth. Takayasu also looked like he wasn't quite ready for this level, but showed some promise by beating HF, Bart and Godo. Shohozan at M4 hasn't faced all of the top guys, but when he has has been beaten. But he has looked really good against guys at his level or below, winning most of those bouts in good fashion and demonstrating some good skills.

So, of these four young guys, who is the most likely to go on with it and make it to Sanyaku? Chiotairyu looks good enough to me but I'm not sure about the others.

One aspect of this basho that has interested me particularly is that it is the first time that a number of young up and coming rikishi have been in the upper maegashira meat grinder positions and I'm interested in how people think they have gone. Takayasu, Chiotairyu, and Ikioi all had their first basho facing the big boys, while Shohazan had his second in that position, after getting spanked at Komosubi in the last basho. These guys are all young, improving rikishi who may fill the sanyaku ranks in the next few years.

Of the four Chiotairyu looked the most at home before injuring himself, given that he beat a Yokozuna and two Ozeki, but is he a one trick pony? Ikioi has unfortunately looked right out of his depth. Takayasu also looked like he wasn't quite ready for this level, but showed some promise by beating HF, Bart and Godo. Shohozan at M4 hasn't faced all of the top guys, but when he has has been beaten. But he has looked really good against guys at his level or below, winning most of those bouts in good fashion and demonstrating some good skills.

So, of these four young guys, who is the most likely to go on with it and make it to Sanyaku? Chiotairyu looks good enough to me but I'm not sure about the others.

Jokoryu.

• Like 1

Jokoryu.

Jokoryu looks likely but hasn't been tested in the meat grinder yet, which is why I left him out

Takayasu has actually had his third go at the meatgrinder and Shohozan his fourth... Shohozan's also a stretch for "young guy", he's less than a year from turning 30.

Seems like only one third of my predictions come true. Looks rather like an intai recommendation for HF.

Sigh.

In addition to elevator rikishi we now have a Yo-yo Yokozuna.

Not making excuses just cos Harumafuji is my favourite rikishi but

it seems that he just doesn't get any traction with that bandaged ankle and with his weight disadvantage, once

he is pushed back, it's bye bye.

I would like to think Chiyotairyu has what it takes to go all the way but the poor chap seems to be plagued by injury or poor health which seems a great shame.

Edited to correct spelling sorry

Edited by Ajisen

You guys keep misspelling Chiyotairyū’s name. Just saying.

I hope Hakuhō gets his 9th zenshō, which would put him at untied 1st for number of zenshō-yūshō.

Seems like only one third of my predictions come true. Looks rather like an intai recommendation for HF.

A little too late for that.

Any bets that HMF will zensho at Natsu?

yes, as I already made a bet in the german sumoforum, he will never zensho again, two prosecco ;-)

Edited by Fay

I don't drink and don't bet (no, I am not religious) but I think Harumafuji still has it for a couple of Yusho more. The bad part is that we will have to swallow many sorry performances like this. Sometimes he looks like a rag doll Yokozuna.

Shohozan is nowhere close to being a young promise, but nevertheless it is so good to watch him. He is clever, makes smart and quick moves, unlike some of his foes used to running around like headless chickens. Still on the bright side of the basho, Aminishiki "never ceases to amaze" Kintamayama, Goeido is on track to an Ozeki-run (should he win tomorrow) and Kyokutenho has - so far - steered away from his first make-koshi below the meatgrinder in ages. Also, Kyokushuho does what one would normally expect from him.

The bad part of the basho as far as the rikishi I follow are concerned, are Kotokuni, Fujinoumi and Tatsu's make-koshi. The third showing his temporary inability to move past this mid-high makushita plateau. I'd decline to comment on Miyabiyama. Kaisei is simply too slow and there must some additional problem with his mobility this time.

And the Baraki Bronson guy won 6 in Jonokuchi. Congratulations !!! (but I don't think it is very auspicious, though).

Have a nice day !

• Like 1

Tatsu's make-koshi.

I was watching that bout live this morning and literally facepalmed at the end. Rushing into the bout and trying to overwhelm his opponent wasn't the worst idea, but how boneheaded do you have to be to keep up the blind bull rush even after you've been put into a disadvantageous position? It's not like he's a one-trick pony who just doesn't have any other options, his yotsu work is actually competent enough for this level. I've said it before, Tatsu just doesn't seem to have any tactical intuition at all. If he can't overcome that, his only way out of upper makushita will be the natural way, i.e. his body getting stronger and more mature as he gets a few years older. Unfortunately, if it reaches that point we can probably retire the "next great Japanese hope" tag for him and treat him as just another kid who might be sekiwake someday if he's lucky. I really do hope I'm wrong. Edited by Asashosakari
  • Like 2

I felt so bad for Miyabiyama today... He was so close to what would probably be his last victory ever. He was so determined and offensive in that bout... poor old man. I'll be really happy if he beats Oniarashi tomorrow, he deserves it.

Edited by Senkoho

Rushing into the bout and trying to overwhelm his opponent wasn't the worst idea, but how boneheaded do you have to be to keep up the blind bull rush even after you've been put into a disadvantageous position?

The "headless chicken" label can be unfortunately placed on him actually. When he was paired with Osunaarashi, simply the guy with most horsepower in the whole makushita division, I'd have expected him to try for the mawashi, or move laterally so as to confuse the massive Egyptian. But he did his opponent's game, and as in many other occasions, he eventually lost. His bout with very slow Maeta wasn't very inspiring either.

Day 15 predictions: Just for fun, I've picked all guys who are 7-7(and if things hold true, they get their MK), and a few who need the extra win (8-6 or even 4-10) for their placing in the next basho. If there's a line without a bold rikishi, then I'm not really interested - it could go either way.

Some of the reasoning: Baruto needs the extra win to convince people that he's still an Ozeki candidate. Hakuho should get a zensho yusho. Kakuryu, after what has been a less-than-perfect basho should pull even with Kise, who having come to life on Day 14, will revert to sleep-walking on Day 15. Tamawashi and Takayasu (both 4-10) need this extra win, and Yoshikaze should comply while Gaga rolls again.

This is all assuming that there's a Karma/Conspiracy/Parity/Newton's-Law God. Let's see how (in)accurate I am.

M16e Oiwato (5-9) J4e Homarefuji (9-5)

M14e Chiyonokuni (7-7) M13w Sadanofuji (8-6)

J1w Kotoyuki (6-8) M12w Masunoyama (6-8)

M16w Wakanosato (8-6) M11w Jokoryu (9-5)

M11e Takekaze (8-6) M15w Sotairyu (4-10)

M10w Tamawashi (4-10) M9w Yoshikaze (8-6)

M9e Fujiazuma (8-6) M10e Takarafuji (10-4)

M8e Aoiyama (9-5) M6w Kitataiki (9-5)

M5e Aran (8-6) M15e Daido (7-7)

M8w Kyokutenho (7-7) M3w Ikioi (3-11)

M3e Tokitenku (5-9) M12e Shotenro (7-7)

M7e Okinoumi (10-4) M2w Myogiryu (8-6)

M7w Toyohibiki (6-8) M1w Tochinoshin (6-8)

M1e Takayasu (4-10) M6e Gagamaru (5-9)

M5w Kaisei (3-11) K1w Aminishiki (6-8)

K1e Tochiozan (9-5) M4e Toyonoshima (7-7)

S1e Goeido (9-5) M4w Shohozan (7-7)

S1w Baruto (8-6) O2w Kotoshogiku (8-6)

O1e Kisenosato (9-5) O2e Kakuryu (8-6)

Y1e Harumafuji (9-5) Y1w Hakuho (14-0).

can someone tell me what is up with Kaisei?

Kaisei's results simply match his lethargic sumo now

Kaisei is simply too slow and there must some additional problem with his mobility this time.

It has been mentioned several times on the Japanese broadcasts that Kaisei is suffering from low back pain this basho.

This seems to be a chronic problem for him. Hope he can find a way to recover.

Edited by Umigame

I felt so bad for Miyabiyama today... He was so close to what would probably be his last victory ever. He was so determined and offensive in that bout... poor old man. I'll be really happy if he beats Oniarashi tomorrow, he deserves it.

He did.

It has been mentioned several times on the Japanese broadcasts that Kaisei is suffering from low back pain this basho.

Kaisei needs to learn to tuck his hips. The joints of the lower back all too often become jammed together when a person sits/stands up (straight) in a way that causes the rear-end to protrude. He should lie on his back and practice pulling his knees towards his chest. This motion will relieve much of the pain he is suffering in his lower vertebrae with enough practice.

Open your lower back, Kaisei!

can someone tell me what is up with Kaisei?

>Kaisei's results simply match his lethargic sumo now

Kaisei is simply too slow and there must some additional problem with his mobility this time.

It's rather Kaisei's lack of training than his back pain. At least this is what the Oyakata says. With the former Oshima rikishi he has better training partners than before but he doesn't make use of it. Too bad.

How could Toyonoshima lose against one like Takekaze yesterday? - losing today was nearly inevitable. The shukun-sho he had received with a kachi-koshi is gone - what a bad second half of the basho.

I say it`s intai recommendation by the YDC - on parole.

How could Toyonoshima lose against one like Takekaze yesterday? - losing today was nearly inevitable. The shukun-sho he had received with a kachi-koshi is gone - what a bad second half of the basho.

He looked to me like he hurt himself about halfway through the basho and hasn't looked any good since