Sign in to follow this  
krindel

Kitanoumi kanreki dohyo-iri

With Kitanoumi's 60th birhday fast approaching, I was wondering if there's any information on his kanreki dohyo-iri? Anyone know if he will be doing one?

The actual birthday falls right in the middle of Natsu basho, and he's definitely eligible for the Kokugikan, so I would assume he could do it after the basho?

P.S. Magaki is turning 60 even sooner, but in his case I would assume his health does not allow for one anyway...

And if so, presumably Chiyonofuji would be one of the attendants - who would be the other one? Hokutoumi, perhaps?

Swami

Chiyonofuji seems to be an very good terms with Kitanoumi, so I would guess he would be one, true.

As for the second, Kitanoumi's ichimon has another former dai-yokozuna in its ranks, Musashimaru... I would assume he would take precedence, because of the ichimon association?

Leaving out Wakanohana II for his health issues, the other options are in order of seniority Hokutoumi, Onokuni, Asahifuji and Takanohana.

I don't really see Kitanoumi choosing Takanohana, so I would still guess Musashimaru.

When Tochinishiki did his kanreki dohyo-iri in 1985, his attendants were Wakanohana I and Sadanoyama. Next up was Wakanohana I in 1988 - Takanosato and Wakanohana II were his attendants. Taiho had Kitanoumi and Chiyonofuji, Kitanofuji had Chiyonofuji and Hokutoumi.

Swami

60 in May Kitanoumi`s kanreki dohyo-iri is on June, 9th in the kokugikan, with Kokonoe (Chiyonofuji) and Takanohana as tachi-mochi and tsuyu-harai. Last such dohyo-iri was Musashigawa/Mienoumi in June 2007.

• Like 7

Awesome news :-). Thanks for the info, Akinomaki...

Do you know if tickets will be sold or if it's free attendance? I will come to Tokyo on June 8th, so seeing a kanreki would be awesome!

would have been great to be in attendance in this one. One of my favourite Yokozunas of all time.

Oooh, all-star attendants. I wanna a poster-sized photo of that one.

It's definitely one for the sumo history books, first kanreki dohyo-iri at the Kokugikan since Taiho's in 2000.

I am also really glad they went back to the usual all-yokozuna lineup.

Am I the only one who is a little bit scared of seeing Takanohana just clad in a mawashi? Iron will can control your weight, but can it control your skin?

Am I the only one who is a little bit scared of seeing Takanohana just clad in a mawashi? Iron will can control your weight, but can it control your skin?

Apparently yes... There are several pictures of him participating in keiko, I have to admit his skin (and his musculature) look to be in far better condition than I would have expected. :-P

Wajima as one of the attendants would have been more appropriate than Takanohana. I understand why they can't/wont, but still think it would have been better...

I am not really sure how the attendants are picked, but its obviously not by ichimon, and (based on Wakanohana Kanji I's case) I would assume its not just by picking the "best" out of the possibilities. I suspect its a case of combining personal relationship + the honor of having a really great Yokozuna for an attendant.

In Taiho's case, we had the three ichidai toshiyori on the dohyo so you could argue that Taiho was being honored by the greatest Yokozuna to come after him.

Here it is obviously the same, with Kitanoumi being honored by the two surviving ichidai toshiyori...

P.S. Also, this will be ex-Chiyonofuji's 3rd presence as an attendant. No one else has done more than one!. Another one for the record books of the Wolf...

Wajima as one of the attendants would have been more appropriate than Takanohana. I understand why they can't/wont, but still think it would have been better...

I am not really sure how the attendants are picked, but its obviously not by ichimon, and (based on Wakanohana Kanji I's case) I would assume its not just by picking the "best" out of the possibilities. I suspect its a case of combining personal relationship + the honor of having a really great Yokozuna for an attendant.

In Taiho's case, we had the three ichidai toshiyori on the dohyo so you could argue that Taiho was being honored by the greatest Yokozuna to come after him.

Here it is obviously the same, with Kitanoumi being honored by the two surviving ichidai toshiyori...

P.S. Also, this will be ex-Chiyonofuji's 3rd presence as an attendant. No one else has done more than one!. Another one for the record books of the Wolf...

In some ways they broke precedent a few years ago by inviting Wajima and ex-Futahaguro to a reunion of all surviving yokozuna but having seen recent footage of Wajima, I'm not sure even if he was invited to participate that he is physically well enough.

Swami

In preparation for his kanreki dohyo-iri in June, Kitanoumi's tsunauchi was held today at his heya. The heya's two sekitori, Kitataiki and Nionoumi, took part while veteran Tenichi kept the rope-making rhythm going with a small taiko drum. Rikishi from Kise-beya (who were briefly part of Kitanoumi-beya) also took part, as did Onogawa-oyakata (ex-Bushuyama) and sewanin Byakuhoyama and Yuho.

u5le.jpg

iivh.jpg

i6hu.jpg

sxq4.jpg

e36w.jpg

4doa.jpg

x7lq.jpg

yuq9.jpg

c1f6.jpg

ooxa.jpg

xgu7.jpg

o7yn.jpg

xfnq.jpg

2sw9.jpg

jb28.jpg

oomz.jpg

al7z.jpg

m47k.jpg

rt6e.jpg

Edited by Yubinhaad
  • Like 7

I like his disgruntled look while they're fitting the tsuna. :-D

Seeing his dohyo-iri prep brings back fond memories of my childhood. :-D

According to the Kyokai, the 12th Yokozuna Jinmaku performed dohyo-iri at the ripe old age of 73. As far as "proper" kanreki dohyo-iri are concerned to mark the 60th birthday, there have been eight prior examples.

1937 - 22nd Yokozuna Tachiyama

Tachimochi: Former Ozeki Tachihikari

Tsuyuharai: Former Maegashira Tachinoumi

kanreki01.jpg

1952 - 27th Yokozuna Tochigiyama

Tachimochi: 36th Yokozuna Haguroyama

Tsuyuharai: 37th Yokozuna Akinoumi

kanreki02.jpg

1956 - 31st Yokozuna Tsunenohana

Tachimochi: 35th Yokozuna Futabayama

Tsuyuharai: 41st Yokozuna Chiyonoyama

kanreki03.jpg