Sign in to follow this  
shumitto

自分の勉強

Kotoyuuki, make-koshi as shin-nyuumaku, forward-looking: "In makuuchi, the tachi-ai and sumou are fast. One day one bout, it's studying myself."

琴勇輝 新入幕で負け越し。「幕内は立ち合いや相撲が速い。一日一番、自分の勉強です」と前向きに。

I have a question regarding the 「自分の勉強」 part. Does it mean:

1) I will study myself [in order to do better sumo, etc.] (he is both subject and object) meaning Improvement through self evaluation or

2) I will study [it (how to proceed at this level)] myself. (elliptical construction) Improvement of the self through the study of matter.

I would say it must be number #1, and maybe number #2 would be 「自分で勉強」though I don't know if it would fit the context.

I assumed it was the former, but you should probably wait for the experts to have a definitive word on it.

I'd express #2 (I studied on my own) with 自分で勉強 as well.

「自分の勉強です」is rather "it's my learning (experience).": Each single day, each bout, it is a learning experience for me.

#1 would be 「自分」の勉強 (but that could be study the self).

Edited by Akinomaki

Akinomaki, thanks for your explanations, here and throughout the basho. I greatly appreciate your help.

A secondary interpretation would be "It's my learning (that is necessary)": I take on each day new, one bout at a time, now it's to learn more - to be competitive in makuuchi.