Sign in to follow this  
Mark.Buckton

Sumo on TV sometime somewhere

keep an eye out for a new TV show on sumo in the New Year. Probably a couple of months away at least but you should see a show on Mongolians looking to enter the sport pop up some time.

Very switched on person putting it together, very well researched, not one for going with all the stereotypes.

Spent 30 mins on phone with her yesterday and I should get a link when wrapped so will post here if it is online.

small British production crew are putting together a documentary on sumo for TV in the UK (no idea which channel at present).

I have given them a few introductions but am looking for anyone with memories of the trip the rikishi payed to London in the early 90s. Anyone interested please let me know.
Edited by Manekineko
Duplicated text

Sky Sports (UK as far as I know) will be in Japan in the new year doing a football feature that will also include time covering sumo, heya life etc.

For those that might be interested.

Sky Sports (UK as far as I know) will be in Japan in the new year doing a football feature that will also include time covering sumo, heya life etc.

For those that might be interested.

I shudder to think what Sky Sports and especially Sky Sports News will do with that kind of coverage. "Fat men in nappies" will be the least of it.

We are very much starved of sumo coverage in the UK. Channel 4's coverage wasn't perfect but they did a good job with the 1991 London Koen, for instance.

Swami

Do you know if VHS of 1991 London koen are available?

A, Why is this in off-topic?

B. Swami, as for the "coverage" of Channel 4 back then, we tend to glorify the past but truth be told, it was not that good.. Go back and watch it-full of WWE-like cliches and giving dumb nicknames to the rikishi (Dumptruck? Really?) The 1991 Cohen was fun to watch because it all happened right around the corner and felt like it was a private UK affair..

The Eurosport coverage back then wasn't that great either. I'll go out on a limb and say our coverage today on youtube is better* in many ways. No audio commentaries, lousy quality notwithstanding, it's immediate, pretty accurate, and you get to learn quite a lot from whatever commentaries exist. Eyebrows raised, I see... Sure, you can't compare private stuff being uploaded privately to established TV broadcasts, but going by data only, we're in way better shape. When could you ever dream of seeing Juryo matches, let alone lower divisions? When could you see all Makuuchi matches on the same day they actually took place and watch them again whenever you wanted? You had to wait at least three weeks to get the Eurosport version of the last Basho and even longer to see the Channel 4 broadcast, IIRC. I put it that nobody is starved anymore.

Except for those who have no Internet. OK, granted, but are there that many?

*I am referring to broadcasts everywhere except Japan, where the broadcasts are of course a dream..

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 2

True, the coverage by Araibira and yourself is way better for established fans like us, but for attracting new blood there's nothing like accidentally zapping into a TV broadcast.

(topic moved, by the way)

True, the coverage by Araibira and yourself is way better for established fans like us, but for attracting new blood there's nothing like accidentally zapping into a TV broadcast.

(topic moved, by the way)

You would not believe how many people accidentally zapped into my youtube channel (and probably Araibira's as well..) and became hooked. Maybe the numbers are insignificant but as time goes by it will shift in our favor..

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1

Do you know if VHS of 1991 London koen are available?

in Tokyo it is now on DVD too.

Where can I find it? It would be a pleasure to watch this page of sumo's history.

The Eurosport coverage was lamentable, some of Syd Hoare's commentary was excruciatingly bad. I remember back to the 1997 Natsu Basho when Akebono first beat Takanohana in their senshuraku out, thereby forcing the play-off. Akebono then forced Takanohana down in the play-off by abisetaoshi - the commentary went along the lines of "and Akebono wins by abisetaoshi .. a yoritaoshi technique". It was clearly abisetaoshi as Taka had been forced down inside the dohyo, but it was just cack-handed.

Channel 4's coverage wasn't perfect, as I say, and I agree some things could have been done better but it was better than Eurosport.

Swami

You would not believe how many people accidentally zapped into my youtube channel (and probably Araibira's as well..) and became hooked. Maybe the numbers are insignificant but as time goes by it will shift in our favor..

I’m one of them.
  • Like 2

I quite liked the Eurosport coverage in some respects. The worst thing was having to wait so long for it - I found it particularly difficult if the coverage for one basho was screened during or after the following basho - I found it hard to keep the details of the two basho separate.

I enjoyed most of Syd Hoare's commentary, even though some of it was wrong, because at least he was trying to make it interesting for the not very knowledgeable viewer and the errors were often about sparing the casual viewer some of the complexity. The commentary obviously wasn't targeted at the expert sumo fan but, let's face it, there weren't that many of them watching British Eurosport. (Probably a few more For Eurosport International...)

Never having watched the Channel 4 coverage I can't compare it.

All of the above notwithstanding, I much prefer where we are today. Kintamayama and Araibira between them have pretty much got it covered. You rock guys!

• Like 4

Yes, Kinatamayama and Araibira do an immense job. Hearty congratulations to them both!

Swami

• Like 2

I also liked Eurosport commentary - it introduced me to sumo, after all, and all that repetition proved useful in order to hammer some basics into me. While I went on to learn more thanks first to the Sumo ML and then this Forum, many among my acquaintance followed sumo exclusively through Eurosport, and when that disappeared they mostly didn't try to find an alternative online...