Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

Musashimaru starts own heya!

KONISHIKI (49) as special coach in Musashigawa-beya on the 8th (he never looked that small to me before), first time observing keiko at the new heya. Shouting "Push, push!" etc. to the deshi during butsukari-geiko.
Cheering up the oyakata: "First of all stress building the body, care about the basics. Because you like to earnestly teach, you are suited for being stable master !"
Musa: "My mood is refreshed. I want you to come any time."

05973769.jpg

• Like 2

Why didn't his nephew maezumo? No visa.

All foreign rikishi must wait one basho after hatsu dohyo, just check out the recent entrants.

All foreign rikishi must wait one basho after hatsu dohyo, just check out the recent entrants.

Which makes it even weirder that Musashimaru didn't open his stable, at least in name, in time for the previous basho (since he couldn't enlist Fiamalu in Fujishima-beya).

Musashigawa-beya held a dohyo-matsuri ceremony yesterday. Among the guests was former Yokozuna Mienoumi, shisho of the previous Musashigawa-beya.

musashigawa1.jpg

musashigawa2.jpg

musashigawa3.jpg

Oyakata and okamisan.

musashigawa4.jpg

• Like 6

About 200 guests at the opening. Then a celebration in a hotel in Tokyo.
Musashigawa-oyakata: "Recalling my active days I'll do my best. I want to raise strong rikishi."
With Mr. Okada, Daily sports commentator:
06061831.jpg

05944984.jpg

Musa training with the young Musa(?) - first mawashi appearance since 11 years

Sorry to nitpick but it's less than ten years since Musashimaru retired.

05944984.jpg

Musa training with the young Musa(?) - first mawashi appearance since 11 years

Sorry to nitpick but it's less than ten years since Musashimaru retired.

Daily had that in the headline, the oyakata in the interview said he estimated it 11 years since he lend his chest in training.

• Like 1

Musashigawa-oyakata visiting the sumo club of the Yatomi middle school, the town in Aichi pref. where the heya is located, inviting the students to the heya.
06113379.jpg

• Like 1

Morimune (still a former Koushien player) and Musashigawa-oyakata (middle school experience) enjoying baseball with Chunichi pro Nakata.

PK2013070102100095_size0.jpg

The oyakata to Nakata (25 – too old to enter, 107kg , about the same as Morimune, 22): “I think a mawashi would suit you better. Sumo is fun ! Oshi-zumo is it !”

Looks like he will continue to try scouting from baseball.

Morimune got a signed ball from his univ. sempai – unable to return this, only sekitori may give autographs. The oyakata: “In two years, maybe. When he becomes sekitori he can sign.” Two times 3-4 in his basho so far (looks like rather 10 years for him).

• Like 1

Musashigawa-beya, especially the okami-san Masami (40), former hula dancer, was on TBS. Musa-oyakata (42) was helped by his wife, married in 2008, to go from 240 kg to the present 150 kg: a salt reduced diet and from calories 10 times that of an ordinary man to the average amount of 2500 cal and a 25km walk together each day – he did nearly no exercise before that.

He appeared on the scene riding a specially made bicycle.

She is preparing the chanko, helped by the heya staff (who is that?), because the young rikishi are still going to the sumo training institute.

Musashigawa-beya, especially the okami-san Masami (40), former hula dancer, was on TBS. Musa-oyakata (42) was helped by his wife, married in 2008, to go from 240 kg to the present 150 kg: a salt reduced diet and from calories 10 times that of an ordinary man to the average amount of 2500 cal and a 25km walk together each day – he did nearly no exercise before that.

She is preparing the chanko, helped by the heya staff (who is that?), because the young rikishi are still going to the sumo training institute.

Is it actually 25km and not just 2.5km?

You would be talking about a man at his top weight of nearly 530lbs walking more than 17 miles per day. Even at his reduced weight of 330lbs, that kind of distance would seem to present problems, especially for a man who did nearly no exercise previously.

Is it actually 25km and not just 2.5km?

You would be talking about a man at his top weight of nearly 530lbs walking more than 17 miles per day. Even at his reduced weight of 330lbs, that kind of distance would seem to present problems, especially for a man who did nearly no exercise previously.

I guess not every day the whole distance and not that much anymore, now being busy with the heya. But it was definitely 25km, at least for losing the 90kg.

Now some contents are on the datazoo site - same mistake I had in my text at first: 25kg instead of km. Only up to 5g of salt a day, the bike one of only two in the world, custom-built with Konishiki.

Edited by Akinomaki

maybe he just used water slides to lose the weight

311657_506921359379759_1440349034_n.jpg

(pic taken from the Musashigawa facebook page)

• Like 5

maybe he just used water slides to lose the weight

311657_506921359379759_1440349034_n.jpg

(pic taken from the Musashigawa facebook page)

Musashitsunami? :-)

• Like 1

First countryside koenkai for Musashigawa-beya in Hidaka, Saitama.

Connection: the oyakata helped with a children's sumo tournament there since 5 years ago.

06227643.jpg

• Like 3

In the town there already was a “Musashimaru fan club”. The koenkai has a bout 100 members.
PK2013080702100082_size0.jpg

• Like 2

The Kokushikan univ. sumo club came for degeiko to Musashigawa-beya.

06278615.jpg

• Like 2

Musashigawa-oyakata in a talk-show. http://www.bs4.jp/koji/onair/44.html

I always liked Musashimaru, his easy-going approach was cheerful. Now as a heya-owning oyakata he still has his amusing character, is even more relaxed, but in the interview he showed that he grew into a responsible person - and no longer would drink 200 small (=0.3 l?) bottles of beer on one day - I guess that was not he alone?

He said that teaching to deshi without sumo experience is easier than to those with. They absorb the teachings and progress quickly.

After 3, 4 years he wants to produce a makuuchi rikishi.

On the panel at the bottom that he wrote it's “The soul of sumo is Love!”

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 2

He said that teaching to deshi without sumo experience is easier than to those with. They absorb the teachings and progress quickly.

After 3, 4 years he wants to produce a makuuchi rikishi.

He'll probably come to find out the hard way that that "advantage" evaporates as soon as said deshi hit low sandanme or so, after he has taught them all the easy-to-learn stuff.

Edited by Asashosakari
  • Like 1