Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

Musashimaru starts own heya!

Ex-Musashimaru has become the second foreign-born Oyakata to have his own heya. He is re-establishing Musashigawa beya and will assume the name on February 4th upon the current Oyakata's retirement. His 17 year old nephew whom he has been schooling will join him there as well. He will attempt to recruit new deshi. The heya will be established on the current Nakamura beya premises. Nakamura has closed down as the Oyakata will retire on February 9th-all deshi will move to Azumazeki beya tomorrow. 1 gyoji-to Hakkaku. If everything goes as planned, deshi from the renewed Musashigawa will appear on the dohyo come March basho 2013.

• Like 6

Ex-Musashimaru has become the second foreign-born Oyakata to have his own heya. He is re-establishing Musashigawa beya and will assume the name on February 4th upon the current Oyakata's retirement. His 17 year old nephew whom he has been schooling will join him there as well. He will attempt to recruit new deshi. The heya will be established on the current Nakamura beya premises. Nakamura has closed down as the Oyakata will retire on February 9th-all deshi will move to Azumazeki beya tomorrow. 1 gyoji-to Hakkaku. If everything goes as planned, deshi from the renewed Musashigawa will appear on the dohyo come March basho 2013.

couple of guys lined up I hear and the premises, although a bit far from the station have a great set-up, upstairs and down. LOT of local support for Nakamura hopefully to be passed over.

Awesome news :-) . As I already mentioned on the "kabu changes" thread, I really respect ex-Musashimaru and think he deserves a shot at building up a heya.

From what you said, I understand he is not getting Fujishima-beya "back" to the Musashigawa name, but building a new stable entirely, right?

In either case, best of luck to him, and I hope he can give us a few sekitori passing along his joy for life and his amiability together with his fighting skills.

From what you said, I understand he is not getting Fujishima-beya "back" to the Musashigawa name, but building a new stable entirely, right?

Right.

So the "Maru is Mienoumi's hand-picked successor to the kabu" rumour actually turned out correct.

What's interesting about Musashimaru (well, to me at least..) is that he is so unassuming we didn't "count him in", as it were. When he was Ozeki, nobody, but NOBODY even considered the remotest possibility of him becoming Yokozuna. When he retired, NOBODY believed he would stay with the Kyokai for long. When he did, not many ever thought he would actually open his own heya.

He doesn't cease to amaze.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1

Well, let's wait and see if he's actually serious about building a full-fledged stable, not just providing a foreigner slot for his nephew.

• Like 2

Excellent news. Here's hoping he has a successful career in his new role.

Swami

Well, let's wait and see if he's actually serious about building a full-fledged stable, not just providing a foreigner slot for his nephew.

So far the articles indicate that this is the only reason. He has no self trained deshi in Fujishima-beya to take with him and started serious scouting last month. According to Daily sports the new heya would be created awaiting the acquisition of (a) new recruit(s) (other than his nephew?).

spo1212191215003-p1.jpg

05611949.jpg

Unless he gained weight again, those pictures can't be up to date.

Musashimaru decides to 'ganbatte,' open his own stable

By Ferd Lewis

POSTED: 01:30 a.m. HST, Jan 16, 2013

LAST UPDATED: 06:44 a.m. HST, Jan 16, 2013

STAR-ADVERTISER / 2004

Musashimaru performed his last ring ceremony during his retirement ceremony on Oct. 2, 2004.

Even for someone who is 6 feet, 3 inches and 320 pounds, what Fiamalu Penitani embarks upon in the next stage of his sumo career is considered a big step.

The former Waianae High football player, who gained fame and fortune as grand champion Musashimaru, will become the second foreign-born sumotori to open his own stable in Japan's centuries-old national sport and plans a Hawaii presence.

"I can't wait to get going," Penitani said by phone following a training session at the Fujishima stable in Tokyo, where he coaches.

The 41-year-old Penitani, who competed for the Musashigawa stable from 1989 until 2003, will take over the rights to the Musashigawa name Feb. 4 when the current owner, the former Mienoumi, retires.

"It is a very big move and a prestigious (stable name)," said Jesse Kuhaulua, who, as Azumazeki, became the first foreign-born stable operator in 1986. Kuhaulua, who coached Akebono (Hawaii's Chad Rowan), retired in 2009 after reaching the mandatory retirement age of 65.

Penitani, who followed Akebono as the second foreign yokozuna in 1999, said he will lease and renovate another stable property on the outskirts of the Ryogoku sumo district to house and train his understudies. Penitani and his wife will live on the top floor of the three-story building, with the sumotori on the second floor. The bottom floor will be for training. He said he hopes to have the stable operating by summer.

Penitani said he has already recruited three prospects, "and I need to get one more before I get started."

They include a nephew, Fiamalu "Mamu" Penitani, a 2011 Waianae High graduate. The nephew, who is 6-3 and 308 pounds, was an offensive lineman for the Seariders. He has been training in Japan for about six months.

Musashimaru debuted in 1989 amid the so-called "Hawaii boom," during which more than 20 sumotori from the islands competed in Japan. There have not been any active sumotori from Hawaii since 2003 and the ruling Japan Sumo Association now has a cap on foreigners, with one permitted per stable.

Originally upon retirement Penitani, like other eligible sumotori from Hawaii Akebono, Konishiki (Salevaa Atisanoe) and Yamato (George Kalima) had little interest in opening his own stable. But, in time, he said, "I began to think that since I'm going to live here, I might as well try it."

Penitani said he talked to Kuhaulua about stable ownership "and he told me, Ganbatte (go for it)!' "

Musashigawa-beya 4-27-1 Higashi-Nippori Arakawa-ku, Tokyo

I really hope he is successful. He maybe lacked a bit of flamboyance compared to the likes of Konishiki but he seems a smart, level-headed guy.

Swami

• Like 1

my favourite rikishi of all times cames back as a coach ..... hmmmmmm ..... well i guess after all this time i will be "forced" to change my favourite heya from Hakkaku to Musashigawa.

I cannot believe he is actually back in the sumo world. I remember those talks about him lacking the drive to become an oyakata and all and i am glad he is proving us wrong.

I will be keeping a close eye on the new heya and this recruit seems promising (on the physical aspect .... not sure about his Sumo skills though).

sum12122617470002-p2.jpg

I am rather happy for this development. I am even considering a trip to Tokyo to visit the new heya. i am THAT excited about all this

GO MARUUUUUUUUUUU.

• Like 2

Are you really back or are you just tantalising us with a fleeting visit?

An old, sorely missed, friend returns. There is still hope for the world.

• Like 1

The way he's going in this basho he won't be long until he quits, surely.

Swami

The way he's going in this basho he won't be long until he quits, surely.

Swami

At first I wasn't sure who you meant between Miyabiyama and Morimune, as it applies to both.

Baseball boy is the sole winless amongst the large bunch of shindeshi. Rather surprising as you'd think his upper body bulkiness would be enough at this level.

my favourite rikishi of all times cames back as a coach ..... hmmmmmm ..... well i guess after all this time i will be "forced" to change my favourite heya from Hakkaku to Musashigawa.

I cannot believe he is actually back in the sumo world. I remember those talks about him lacking the drive to become an oyakata and all and i am glad he is proving us wrong.

I will be keeping a close eye on the new heya and this recruit seems promising (on the physical aspect .... not sure about his Sumo skills though).

sum12122617470002-p2.jpg

I am rather happy for this development. I am even considering a trip to Tokyo to visit the new heya. i am THAT excited about all this

GO MARUUUUUUUUUUU.

This guy is a physical specimen

I believe this is address of the soon to open, new Musashigawa beya.

4-1-10 Chuo, Edogawa-ku
Tokyo 132-0021
Looks familiar? It's the old Nakamura beya. Musashigawa Oyakata, as of midnight tonight, is having the place renovated in preparation of moving in.
I'm anxious to join his koenkai!
Several Hawaiians here in the greater Kanto have expressed a desire to help the 2nd Hawaiian to run a sumo stable. So exciting!
  • Like 2

Old and new Musashigawa-oyakata (click for bigger)
BCOeEe3CYAAZC1G.jpg
retired and now only Goro Ishiyama, director of the sumo museum

BCPq47MCAAEupFI.jpg

Musashigawa-oyakata

• Like 2