Sign in to follow this  
Asashosakari

some good-ish sales news (and Hatsu basho PR stuff)

The annual Ozumo calendar has been receiving unexpectedly large interest this year. Of the 7000 copies stocked at the Kokugikan 4200 have already been sold, some 1000 ahead of last year's pace, and the folks in charge are already talking about the potentially first sell-out since the calendars started being available at the Kokugikan in 1996. (Though they admit that both the stocked amounts and the sales were higher during the boom years.) PR director Hakkaku is understandably happy and hopes to ride the wave to better ticket sales for the upcoming honbasho.

Meanwhile, tickets for next February's NHK charity sumo at the Kokugikan have already been selling well - in fact, they're already sold out as of a few days ago, something that typically hasn't happened until mid-January. (However, the article confuses me by talking about only 4100 tickets...do the others not go on general sale? Surely the stage setup can't be eliminating that many seats?) People in the know think it's mainly due to a scheduled appearance by popular idol band Momoiro Clover Z at the charity event, although NHK's PR department declined to attribute the strong sales to them. The group will be taking part in some sort of singing contest along with other artists and rikishi during the day's proceedings. Incidentally, Takamisakari has named them as one of his favourite bands, though whether he'll get to be part of the contest is yet to be decided.

Edited by Asashosakari
  • Like 2

Incidentally, Takamisakari has named them as one of his favourite bands, though whether he'll get to be part of the contest is yet to be decided.

Let's just hope he still gets to be a part of Sumo in February..

• Like 1

Incidentally, Takamisakari has named them as one of his favourite bands, though whether he'll get to be part of the contest is yet to be decided.

Let's just hope he still gets to be a part of Sumo in February..
"And now, let's give a big round of applause to the singing higashi-hanamichi security guard..."

Meanwhile, tickets for next February's NHK charity sumo at the Kokugikan have already been selling well - in fact, they're already sold out as of a few days ago, something that typically hasn't happened until mid-January. (However, the article confuses me by talking about only 4100 tickets...do the others not go on general sale?

It's a long time since I went to one of these, but isn't it restricted to the ground floor -- i.s. no balcony seats?

Orion

PR director Hakkaku is understandably happy and hopes to ride the wave to better ticket sales for the upcoming honbasho.

Speaking of which... In what's going to be a first, the Kyokai is planning to run ads for the Hatsu basho on the giant public screens in Tokyo's Shibuya ward shopping district, known for its high density of younger visitors. The details are still being finalized, but the ads are likely to start running after Christmas and then through to shonichi, tentatively scheduled for the screens at the scramble crossing near Shibuya Station as well as at the Shibuya 109 department store (and possibly elsewhere). Edited by Asashosakari

Speaking of which... In what's going to be a first, the Kyokai is planning to run ads for the Hatsu basho on the giant public screens in Tokyo's Shibuya ward shopping district, known for its high density of younger visitors. The details are still being finalized, but the ads are likely to start running after Christmas and then through to shonichi, tentatively scheduled for the screens at the scramble crossing near Shibuya Station as well as at the Shibuya 109 department store (and possibly elsewhere).

Ads set to run Dec 24 - Jan 15.

In other PR news, having been selected in a Kyokai online poll last month, Kokonoe-oyakata will be available for picture-taking opportunities from Day 1 to 13 of the Hatsu basho; three people per day will be chosen at random from among all attendees that bought tickets on pre-sale.

And in further pictorial news, all sekitori will congregate in front of the Kokugikan on Dec 25 for a publicity shot that will be used to represent Ozumo on Google Maps.

Edited by Asashosakari
  • Like 1

And another one - from January 4 to 6, forum favourite Hiyonoyama (pictured below with his fancy ride) will be doing meet'n'greets at the doors of the Tokyo National Theatre; Juryo-kaku yobidashi Rikinojo will also be present with taiko to drum up interest in the Hatsu basho, as it were. A sumo-themed kabuki play will be performed at the theatre during the month of January, hence the tie-in. The story is about a member of the Imperial guard tasked to protect the first yokozuna Akashi, or somesuch. YDC member Tanosuke Sawamura will be appearing as a gyoji in the play.

sp-tn-121221-4-ns300.jpg05616479.jpg

Edited by Asashosakari
  • Like 1

The play is the revival of a long since forgotten drama named "Yagura Daiko Otomo Yoshiwara", which premiered in 1866. A new title is being used to account for changes to the original. "Yume no Ichi Otokodate Kurabe" is the title and it will star Kikugoro and Tokizo along with Kikunosuke - 3 wonderful actors.

And in further pictorial news, all sekitori will congregate in front of the Kokugikan on Dec 25 for a publicity shot that will be used to represent Ozumo on Google Maps.

For street-view.

P2012122500657_rikisi-ns-big.jpg

001.jpg

TKY201212250841.jpg

sum12122520180009-p1.jpg

sum12122520180009-p2.jpg

sum12122520180009-p3.jpg

sum12122520180009-p4.jpg

• Like 6

To celebrate reaching 10,000 followers on Twitter the Kyokai will be running a followers' special at the Hatsu basho - between Day 1 and Day 13, all visitors who bring along screenshots showing them as a follower and of a tweet they sent to the Kyokai account will have their choice of a free bowl of Isegahama-beya style chanko nabe or next year's Ozumo calendar, and can enter a lottery for an opportunity to take a commemorative picture with Hakuho on the day of the NHK charity sumo event. (Question: "さらに横綱白鵬との記念撮影に5組10名様をご招待!" - ten people in total or per group? Or something completely different?)

• Like 1

(Question: "さらに横綱白鵬との記念撮影に5組10名様をご招待!" - ten people in total or per group? Or something completely different?)

5 groups of ten?

can enter a lottery for an opportunity to take a commemorative picture with Hakuho on the day of the NHK charity sumo event. (Question: "さらに横綱白鵬との記念撮影に5組10名様をご招待!" - ten people in total or per group? Or something completely different?)

In NHK's 2012 Sumo This Year the picture taking with Hakuho was with two at a time (one 組), so it's ten people in total, like the usual use of Japanese suggests.

I know it was New Year's Eve, but I didn't expect to find a detonated petard in this thread today... Oh well, more news as the Kyokai continue their Hatsu PR blitz: On the eve of the basho, they will venture out and offer freebie chanko-nabe as part of the "Shinjuku Chanko Basho" at the East side exit of busy Shinjuku station. 500 portions will be up for grabs for hungry passers-by on Friday the 11th from 3pm, another 800 on Saturday from 10am. Somebody involved with the promotion commented: "We're fortunate that the area is available for us to use, though of course it played a role [in our decision] that there's lots of traffic there."

Kokonoe-oyakata, Goeido, Toyonoshima and Miyabiyama will be on hand for the Friday event for a "talk show", whatever that means - either a series of short addresses or a Q&A session, I guess. In any case, "plain talk" is promised, in order to draw in people who may not know much about sumo, and hopefully entice them to buy a ticket or two.

Edited by Asashosakari

'Kokonoe-oyakata / talk show' in the same sentence? (Laughing...)

Still, musn't shoot le messenger ;-)

And another one - from January 4 to 6, forum favourite Hiyonoyama (pictured below with his fancy ride) will be doing meet'n'greets at the doors of the Tokyo National Theatre; Juryo-kaku yobidashi Rikinojo will also be present with taiko to drum up interest in the Hatsu basho, as it were. A sumo-themed kabuki play will be performed at the theatre during the month of January, hence the tie-in. The story is about a member of the Imperial guard tasked to protect the first yokozuna Akashi, or somesuch. YDC member Tanosuke Sawamura will be appearing as a gyoji in the play.

With Sawamura and kabuki mascot Kurogo-chan:

sp-f-20130104-hiyonoyama-ns-big.jpg

• Like 2

I'm kind of curious as to what it's like being inside one of those costumes.

How do they breathe? Is there a dashboard inside with flashing lights, TV, sandwich vending-machine and drinks cabinet? I wouldn't mind having a go myself, but i'm a bit fat so i'd need a more rotund mascot.

Edited by Bugman

How do they breathe? Is there a dashboard inside with flashing lights, TV, sandwich vending-machine and drinks cabinet? I wouldn't mind having a go myself, but i'm a bit fat so i'd need a more rotund mascot.

What do you mean, 'costume'? Hiyonoyama is real!

• Like 1

What do you mean, 'costume'? Hiyonoyama is real!

He means the other guy..

• Like 1

Some more pics, including yobidashi Rikinojo and gyoji Kimura Kenjiro:

A_2d-mQCMAAA18s.jpg

A_2eG6jCEAESTPr.jpg

A_2eUEvCIAIGcFr.jpg

A_2ef9NCIAApoj-.jpg

A_2eouTCAAAa2Xm.jpg

A_2e4m5CcAA9dvm.jpg

Mythical first yokozuna Akashi:

A_2e_r1CMAIWDX_.jpg

Equipment: