Sign in to follow this  
Akinomaki

New tachi for yokozuna

On the 8th the first strike for the new tachi took place that is to be presented to Hakuho by the Tokushima-koenkai (home of his wife) before the Haru-basho together with a new kesho mawashi.

At the sword maker Gassan's dojo in Nara, Hakuho did take part in hammering.

In the hilt of the sword kanji words that Hakuho likes are to be engraved, 「夢」 yume (dream), 「心」 kokoro (heart), 「運」un (fortune). The cost for producing it are about 5 million yen. The scabbard to be used is of Gassan's own possession, made in the Meiji era, with the imperial chrysanthemum emblem, in the range of a national treasure it's worth about 10 million yen or more.

P2012120801246_hakuhou-ns-big.jpg

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 7

That's Gassan Sadatoshi in the middle, one of the finest swordsmiths in Japan:
adrSdL7C.jpg

The tamahagane from which the new sword is being made:
aduDZxEh.jpg

At the sword maker Gassan's dojo in Nara, Hakuho did take part in hammering.

abbhRW1s.jpg adna9dmc.jpg

The scabbard to be used is of Gassan's own possession, made in the Meiji era, with the imperial chrysanthemum emblem, in the range of a national treasure it's worth about 10 million yen or more.

accTuOJe.jpg

Edited by Yubinhaad
  • Like 5

Thanks for this. I was just beginning to wonder if there was an update on the tachi progress. So this scabbard from the Meiji era. It has never had a blade to go with it? Or is Gassan disassembling a sword and giving the scabbard to Hakuho?

Edit: actually I was wondering about Harumafuji's Yokozuna tachi. Any updates on his? Is he using a loaner for dohyo iri right now?

Edited by Mukonoso
  • Like 1

On the 8th the first strike for the new tachi took place that is to be presented to Hakuho by the Tokushima-koenkai (home of his wife) before the Haru-basho together with a new kesho mawashi.

That was a Tospo info, todays Nikkan says the sword is ready in autumn.

Hakuho will do a dohyo-iri on the 15th in Tokushima, birthplace of his wife Sayoko, and get there (and use for it) from the local koenkai a kesho-mawashi (set I guess) worth 10 million yen and the tachi forged by Gassan, worth 20 million yen (with the scabbard worth 10 and 5 for making the sword, that makes 5 million extra value).
Pic after the yusho (Tospo).

• Like 5

Hakuho will do a dohyo-iri on the 15th in Tokushima, birthplace of his wife Sayoko, and get there (and use for it) from the local koenkai a kesho-mawashi set and the tachi forged by Gassan.

Some pictures from this event.

ay7j.jpg

7fgb.jpg

tscy.jpg

Joined in this picture by Gassan Sadatoshi, standing in front of Shikimori Kindayu and tsuyu-harai Daikiho.

fkmr.jpg

Hakuho holding his new tachi for a commemorative shot with Gassan and some other guy, probably koenkai representative.

04qo.jpg

Holding the new sword.

jkzb.jpg

numl.jpg

Gassan places the new sword in a box. For dohyo-iri the actual blade is not used; instead a bamboo substitute is used which can be seen lying in the box next to the scabbard.

xz5i.jpg

Edited by Yubinhaad
  • Like 9

how much would a sword like that cost?

and i don't mean how much a collector would pay for Hakuho's sword. Just the actual sword to get it made for you and just buy it.

(i am just curious and a sword/knife fanatic)

Look at the 1st and 5th post of this thread. Its just right there.

Quite an expensive "hobby".

Gassan places the new sword in a box. For dohyo-iri the actual blade is not used; instead a bamboo substitute is used which can be seen lying in the box next to the scabbard.

Dohyo-iri yaocho?
  • Like 1

Gassan (66) before had forged tachi for Waka/Taka, Hakuho is the third yokozuna for which he made one. The scabbard was made in the Meiji period for the House of Tokugawa, showing their (mallow) aoi crest - so not the imperial chrysanthemum emblem as reported earlier. When bearing a sword was interdicted in 1876 the scabbard came into the possession of the house of Gassan, which as sword makers dates back to the Kamakura period (1185-1333). The value of sword and scabbard together like written before is according to related parties about 20 million yen. The hilt has some golden ornaments and Hakuho's favorite kanji engraved on it.
Pics from the net papers:
20130616-909990-1-L.jpg

Dohyo-iri at the Imbe-shrine, about 500 watching. The design of the kesho-mawashi set was determined by Hakuho and the Tokushima koenkai, consulting Takashimaya department store, which was in charge of the production.
OSK201306150150.jpg

OSK201306150151.jpg

• Like 5

numl.jpg

xz5i.jpg

Beautiful sword and scabbard... but bubble wrap? One would expect a fitted compartment with silk (or at least velvet) for something that cost this much.

Edited by Mukonoso
  • Like 2

The hilt has some golden ornaments and Hakuho's favorite kanji engraved on it.

Which is Hakuho's favorite kanji?

3 kanji. I guess "dream" is his favorite among them, being first. He just had talked about it in his first lesson at the Takushoku univ.

In the hilt of the sword kanji words that Hakuho likes are to be engraved, 「夢」 yume (dream), 「心」 kokoro (heart), 「運」un (fortune).

The new order of the 3 on the hilt given is:「夢」「運」「心」(not to forget also meaning mind)

Edited by Akinomaki

An exhibition about Gassan Sadatoshi will be held in the sixth-floor art gallery of the Nihonbashi Takashimaya department store in Tokyo, from July 9th to 15th. Thirty of his works will be on display including the swords he made for Takanohana, Wakanohana III and Hakuho.

Gassan01.jpg

Gassan02.jpg

Gassan03.jpgGassan04.jpg

Gassan05.jpgGassan06.jpg

• Like 7

He can defeat almost everyone unarmed, and now he will be able to lop somebody's head off too.

What does the law say about carrying a lethal weapon? I doubt you can freely walk around with it... or does traditional clothing and a topknot excuse you?

A friend of mine got arrested just because he had a sword decorating his wall... and I bet this one is sharper.

• Like 1

Correct, that's a difficult question. And I guess that there is no clear answer to it.

I own a shinken. And that is a weapon per definition by law. And it is prohibited to carry this in public. Period. But I have to when I go to training. And once I got stopped by two policemen. And the only reason why they do not confiscated my sword was, that I could proof that I own this for sporting reasons. But I remember that it was very difficult to persuade them that I was a harmless person and that I not intend to start a killing spree. But I did.(*)

Of course you had to carry your sword in a special bag or case and not not openly in your hands.

Edit

(*) Persuade the policemen, not starting a killing spree... of course :D

Edited by Tsubame

Every year there is a medieval-style melee (with people in chain mail and broadswords etc) in Oxford, UK -- and the only way to get permission for this to take place in a public place is with the edges of all the swords and daggers blunted to a thickness of at least 5mm. Even so it takes effort each time to get the permission for about three hous of mock fighting on public display, with first aid standing by.

In restrospect it is scary. A lot of effort went into avoiding accidents with sharp weapons, but some of the blunt ones (like maces and quarterstaffs) can do a lot more damage if something goes wrong. A full hit with my mace would not just break a bone, but shatter it beyond repair. Good thing we are responsible people and primarily book lovers that wouldn't hurt a fly. Really.

Edited by orandashoho

Every year there is a medieval-style melee (with people in chain mail and broadswords etc) in Oxford, UK -- and the only way to get permission for this to take place in a public place is with the edges of all the swords and daggers blunted to a thickness of at least 5mm. Even so it takes effort each time to get the permission for about three hous of mock fighting on public display, with first aid standing by.

In restrospect it is scary. A lot of effort went into avoiding accidents with sharp weapons, but some of the blunt ones (like maces and quarterstaffs) can do a lot more damage if something goes wrong. A full hit with my mace would not just break a bone, but shatter it beyond repair. Good thing we are responsible people and primarily book lovers that wouldn't hurt a fly. Really.

Inetersting. That would be worth a visit to Oxford.

Inetersting. That would be worth a visit to Oxford.

It has been quite a few years since I went there, I am not sure they do it anymore... it wasn't in the programme for 2014. Maybe because of the difficulty of getting it legally organized, more likely because many of the better-trained and equipped perticipants are getting a bit older. The mace and shield are decorating my wall now.

[back on topic]

The sword really looks beautiful. But is it used at all, since a bamboo substitute is used in the dohyo-iri? And does Hakuho now have to employ someone to properly maintain the blade?

Edited by orandashoho

Don't know about the law in Japan, but as an avid sword collector, I have on occasion traveled in Europe carrying several very big swords around...

The law does differ from country to country, but basically carrying a sharpened sword around is illegal pretty much everywhere, and just owning it is illegal in several countries.

For blunted swords, several countries require that a sword be carried in public in a locked box or sheathe, making immediate access to it impossible. A collector's permit is usually required, and is always a good idea to have one on your person when carrying a sword or having one in your car.

The truth of the matter though, is that while swords have been used on occasion as weapons in crimes of passion or in domestic disputes, their use as weapons in crimes and riots is extremely limited...

Edit: Apparently Japan also has the option to possess a permit from the commission of public safety for owning a sword, and the option to carry it in public if "carried for duty, sport or other valid reason".

• Like 1

[OFF TOPIC] Update about Oxford: I talked to a friend who was there last September and he told me they discontinued the melee because of the difficulty of getting permissins as well as the insurance costs.

One more example of how modern life has engulfed a colourful spectacle simply because it doesn't fit in. Of course if someone suggested doing a thing like that today it would be forbidden simply because people are so afraid of terrorist acts. *sigh*

Broadsword combat is making a comeback in North America. It rather looks a lot like some of the beer league hockey I've played, except safer.

This time Hakuho got presented with a short sword for self defense. The blade itself is about 300 years old, for about 2 million yen the shikona "Hakuho" and a dragon had been engraved. Sanspo claims that Hakuho requested it, so to what amount it is a present is not definite.
http://www.sanspo.com/sports/news/20151223/sum15122319230003-n1.html
http://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/news/2015/12/24/kiji/K20151224011740680.html

sum15122319230003-p2.jpg

G20151224011740670_view.jpg

sum15122319230003-p1.jpg

• Like 7