Sign in to follow this  
Akinomaki

Amateur yokozuna 2012

Nichidai 4th year Shota Endo won the 61st All Japan sumo tournament to become this years amateur yokozuna (his first) in the Kokugikan on the 2nd. In the final beating by yorikiri last years student yokozuna Naoya Shodai, who beat this years Nakamura in the semi.

Endo also won the Kokutai and has from both the makushita 10 tsukedashi qualification.

He won in the semi against the winner of the East Japan student championships Omichi and earlier against last years champion Matsunaga.

view0013699789.jpg

mrt12120220020002-p1.jpg

Endo-Shodai

P2012120202280_endou-ns-big.jpg

view0013699780.jpg

mrt12120220020002-p2.jpg

mrt12120220020002-p3.jpg

Shota Endo

• Like 3

Incredibly, from the quarterfinals onward the tournament was contested exclusively by collegiate rikishi. Can't recall the business rikishi contingent ever performing this badly before. (Hoping Mainichi's morning edition expands the results to the last 16 as they've usually done.)

And it sure looks like there's a definite top dog within each of the higher class years right now with senior Endo, junior Shodai and sophomore Nakamura...collectively they've pretty well dominated the circuit since late last year.

BTW, if anyone comes across a Youtubing or the like of NHK's one-hour broadcast from the tournament (was on at 5pm), I'd love to be pointed that way.

Edited by Asashosakari

Endo didn't express a clear wish to join ozumo: "It's only just over, thus I want to think about it after this."

Nichidai coach Tanaka: "He will turn professional, won't he. He also has the (ms 10) qualification, there is no problem."

Oitekaze-oyakata, Endo's senior at Nichidai and from the same Ishikawa prefecture is a likely master for him. (Sponichi)

No luck finding more results, so here's what I have:

Last 16:

Hisashi Omichi (Toyo, 2nd year) okuridashi Atsushi Takida (Nihon Taiiku, 3rd year)

Kyohei Takeda (Takushoku, 4th year) hatakikomi Masaya Iwasaki (Nihon, 2nd year)

Motoki Sakamoto (Nihon, 2nd year) hikiotoshi Kensei Uehara (Kochi school faculty)

Shota Endo (Nihon, 4th year) tsukidashi Mutoshi Matsunaga (Nagasaki school faculty)

Nakamura Daiki (Nihon Taiiku, 2nd year) oshidashi Hideto Kudo (Nihon, 3rd year)

Kota Sasaki (Nihon, 1st year) yorikiri Kazunori Takayama (Aisin Seiki Co.)

Soichiro Kurokawa (Takushoku, 3rd year) hikiotoshi Yuta Nakamura (Yamaguchi school faculty)

Naoya Shodai (Tokyo Nogyo, 3rd year) yorikiri Tomohiro Saigo (Nihon, 3rd year)

Quarterfinals:

Omichi oshitaoshi Takeda

Endo oshidashi Sakamoto

Nakamura oshidashi Sasaki

Shodai utchari Kurokawa

Semifinals:

Endo yorikiri Omichi

Shodai yorikiri Nakamura

Final:

Endo yorikiri Shodai

Edit: The Last 16 kimarite should probably be taken with a grain of salt...the QF/SF/F ones at the blog linked below are different from the (presumably official) ones given by Mainichi, so I suspect they're just what the author considered them to be.

Edited by Asashosakari

Endo didn't express a clear wish to join ozumo: "It's only just over, thus I want to think about it after this."

Nichidai coach Tanaka: "He will turn professional, won't he. He also has the (ms 10) qualification, there is no problem."

Oitekaze-oyakata, Endo's senior at Nichidai and from the same Ishikawa prefecture is a likely master for him. (Sponichi)

Bumping this up for obvious reasons..