Sign in to follow this  
Igordemorais

Kyushu Basho 2012 Discussion Thread

It was an irony. Everyone knows it all started with a henka.

I kinda figured you knew but posted it in case you were serious...

No, Shumitto got it right.

I may have been in the wrong performance recently, but is there nothing else happening in the basho as one rikishi henkas another one?

In American football, the defensive linemen can usually tell when the offensive linemen are going to pass-block (when they move backwards) and when there's a handoff called (when they would be charging straight ahead). The defensive line watches the body language and whether the knuckles of the offensive linemen are white because they're leaning on them (meaning a straight-forward charge). When the offensive linemen tend to sit back slightly and put less pressure on their knuckles, it's a good bet that they'll be back-pedalling in pass-block mode.

Don't those guys all wear gloves?

I may have been in the wrong performance recently, but is there nothing else happening in the basho as one rikishi henkas another one?

But it was such a beautiful henka. Surely the best time to execute a henka is when no one, absolutely no one, expects it.

Also, it got me 3 points in DST.

Or did I already say that.

In American football, the defensive linemen can usually tell when the offensive linemen are going to pass-block (when they move backwards) and when there's a handoff called (when they would be charging straight ahead). The defensive line watches the body language and whether the knuckles of the offensive linemen are white because they're leaning on them (meaning a straight-forward charge). When the offensive linemen tend to sit back slightly and put less pressure on their knuckles, it's a good bet that they'll be back-pedalling in pass-block mode.

Don't those guys all wear gloves?

True, most do, some still don't. but the weight on the fist is still obvious, and the body language is the same. Good point, though.

What is going in the match between Harumafuji and Goeido? Very long mono ii.

I do believe Goeido got ripped off. I don't have the luxury of replay but I swear I saw Fuji's foot outside the ring...

That was bizarre. It looked as if the shimpan called for a stop to the bout, under the impression that Harumafuji had stepped out. The gyoji didn't call a winner either way -- I think he didn't see why it should have ended. Since I have no Japanese I didn't understand the announcement, but I think they restarted having no other option, seeing no evidence that Haru actually did step out.

Basically, I think the shimpan screwed up. He ought to have let the bout end, and in the event the gunbai went the "wrong" way called a mono-ii THEN. In the end, I think it was Goeido who got screwed over, because the tachi-ai didn't go anywhere near as well for him the second time as the first.

Edited by Kuroyama

Kent Brockman had Breaking News to announce!

No, in fact the tate shimpan thought that Harumafuji stepped outside while evading Goeidos attack.

They stared at the mark and agreed that he did not step out and decided to go for a tori-naoshi (rematch)

I was just a little surprised that they did not continue in the position they had when the fight was paused,

like when there is a mawashi malfunction - first time for me to watch something like this

Edited by kuroimori

I have watched couple of times such situation in the sumo documentary on the youtube.

Don't know when Goeido will get another chance like that one, i'm sad he lost.

No, in fact the tate shimpan thought that Harumafuji stepped outside while evading Goeidos attack.

Tate shimpan?

• Like 1

In the end, I think it was Goeido who got screwed over, because the tachi-ai didn't go anywhere near as well for him the second time as the first.

In the first match, Goeido had the better tachiai and initially had Harumafuji in trouble. After the close call at the edge, Harumafuji had regained control. My impression is that Harumafuji had the advantage when the shimpan called the halt.

Tate shimpan?

He's from the tate zoo, which is next to tate gallery.

• Like 2

Tate shimpan?

sorry, - guess I was in a hurry to get post my entry before the final bout.

twas the mukou joumen shimpan who called the break/stop off course (which are all suwatte not tate)

Tate shimpan?

He's from the tate zoo, which is next to tate gallery.

Thank god he isn't a former Securi-tate...

In the end, I think it was Goeido who got screwed over, because the tachi-ai didn't go anywhere near as well for him the second time as the first.

In the first match, Goeido had the better tachiai and initially had Harumafuji in trouble. After the close call at the edge, Harumafuji had regained control. My impression is that Harumafuji had the advantage when the shimpan called the halt.

Mine too, but Goeido seemed to have been not quite so bad off as he was after the second tachi-ai. I suspect Harumafuji still would have won, just not so handily.

Edited by Kuroyama

Goeido is the shiz-nit. i hope he gives Hakuho that much trouble.

Never mind that. I was hoping to see more from Takanoyama today.

Sharon.

But he hasn't really been tate for quite a while now...

Wrong Sharon, sir.. I meant this one, but I guess you gotta be over 50 to know that..