Sign in to follow this  
Fukurou

Rikishi Status - Kyushu 2012: Final

Day 9

Withdrawing as of day 9:

East Sandanme 45 SHUNBA (0-4)

The left foot injury he suffered in the Aki basho hasn't healed properly (or has been re-injured, not sure which).

In higher-rank news, I have an unconfirmed report that AOIYAMA will be kyujo for Day 9 due to whatever injury he seemed to sustain in his last bout. Possibility of returning. If confirmed, Kisenosato will get the fusensho, leaving some people desperately searching for another tachi-ai to criticize.

Right, update:

The Kyokai site confirms Aoiyama's kyujo.

Jiji says RYUDEN is also kyujo, Daikiho gets the fusensho there.

And I have another unconfirmed report that CHIYOOTORI is out as well.

Edited by Yubinhaad

If confirmed, Kisenosato will get the fusensho, leaving some people desperately searching for another tachi-ai to criticize.

Or questioning why Kisenosato-Aoiyama was scheduled in the first place. ;-)

• Like 1

Right, update:

Ryuden is confirmed on the NSK site. Nothing there about Chiyootori as of now.

Many thanks to Yubinhaad for his contributions on this busy pre-day 9.

Edited by Fukurou

Right, update:

J6E CHIYOOTORI (7-1) going kyujo is now confirmed on the NSK site. Satoyama gets the default win.

Right, update:

J6E CHIYOOTORI (7-1) going kyujo is now confirmed on the NSK site. Satoyama gets the default win.

And now the NSK site says West Juryo 5 KOTOYUTAKA (3-5) is kyujo as of day 9. Takarafuji wins by default.

That is a big hit to two very promising youngsters! Chiyoorori looked so good and was on his way to a possible Yusho, Ryuden, in the form of his life, seemed to manage a decent Sekitory debut.

First day with 4 simultaneous sekitori exits since 1954, although that was with nearly 100 sekitori on the banzuke. Whoops, one of the withdrawals was a makushita opponent there. That makes 1943 the last and formerly only case.

Also, the first time with 3 in juryo since 1962, though again with many more rikishi (36).

Edited by Asashosakari

From the medical files...

Aoiyama - sprained left knee, 10 days, Aoiyama says he wants to return

Kotoyutaka - contusion of the left foot, one week, return possible depending on the healing process, says Sadogatake

Chiyootori - left knee ACL injury, one month, Chiyootori doesn't think he'll be back this basho according to Kokonoe

Ryuden - some right hip injury (右股関節内血症、右股関節唇損傷...anyone?), two to three weeks; "I wouldn't have gone kyujo with that; he'll be back in if he decides to man up", says shisho ex-Akinoshima the ever-charming

• Like 2

@ Asashosakari, thank you for the updates. It would have taken me some time to dig all this from the web.

As to the injuries, it is specially lamentable about Aoyiama and Chiyootori. They were doing really great and Chiyootori's sole loss prior to this fusenpai had come by the way of hansoku as he pulled Kotoyuuki's mage. His approach was more aggressive and determined as opposed to some feeble tachiai and tentative sumo of past basho.

In case Ryuden can't recover decently, his demotion is certain whereas Kotoyutaka will most likely hold.

@ Asashosakari, thank you for the updates. It would have taken me some time to dig all this from the web.

Nah, I got lucky, Sports Hochi had 'em all in one article.

They're dropping like flies - now hearing that Okinoumi will be kyujo for Day 10. Presumably he hurt something when Aminishiki utchari'd him yesterday. If correct, Tochiozan will get the fusensho.

They're dropping like flies - now hearing that Okinoumi will be kyujo for Day 10. Presumably he hurt something when Aminishiki utchari'd him yesterday. If correct, Tochiozan will get the fusensho.

Confirmed on the NSK site. M1E Okinoumi (2-7) is withdrawing as of day 10

Shall we wager on how many more there will be over the next 2 hours?

Edited by Fukurou

Confirmed on the NSK site. M1E Okinoumi (2-7) is withdrawing as of day 10

Shall we wager on how many more there will be over the next 2 hours?

Be quicker to list those we think might make it to Senshuraku - which at this rate will probably be Day 13.

Okinoumi's kyujo is due to a fractured toe on the left foot, I believe.

• Like 1

Wow.

Is something going on here, or is this just the kind of statistical fluke you might see for any sort of randomly occurring event?

Additional info: it was his third toe of the left foot which was fractured in his loss to Goeido on day 8. It will take approximately 1 month to heal and it is his second kyujo in his career after that gambling episode which saw him sidelined for 1 full basho. Tochiozan improves to 7-3.

Wow.

Is something going on here, or is this just the kind of statistical fluke you might see for any sort of randomly occurring event?

I think someone is playing a re-enactment of Agatha Christie's famous novel "Ten Little Rikishi"...

• Like 1

Day 11

One withdraw, and the first return of a rikishi who was participating at the beginning of the basho (and wasn't MIA for their first match) -

Returning: West Sandanme 21 MITOTSUKASA (1-1, absent from day 5)

Withdrawing: East Makushita 30 RYUONAMI (2-3)

Edited by Fukurou

I don't remember...now we have 4 Makuuchi division's Kyujo? Baruto-Asasekiryu-Aoiyama and Okinoumi. Someone else?

I don't remember...now we have 4 Makuuchi division's Kyujo? Baruto-Asasekiryu-Aoiyama and Okinoumi. Someone else?

psssst! - I finally managed to hack the Sumo Kyokai Server - but don't tell anyone, OK? (Whistling...)

Edited by kuroimori
  • Like 1

Kotoyutaka certainly picked the right time to return - the Kyokai says Masakaze is kyujo as of Day 14, so Kotoyutaka picks up the fusensho.

Edited by Yubinhaad

I wonder how many times have a rikishi lost by fusen and in his next bout won by fusen. He was bound to sink to the bottom of the division, at least he has got some room to spare now.

I wonder how many times have a rikishi lost by fusen and in his next bout won by fusen. He was bound to sink to the bottom of the division, at least he has got some room to spare now.

At a quick check of the sekitori divisions I only found Tochisakae. In the lower divisions it's probably less rare, sometimes even without having any other absences in between. A related scenario was produced back in 1929 though, fusensho after joining the basho late.

Perhaps also noteworthy is the reverse: Onishiki and Kirinishiki both once withdrew on the day after picking up a freebie win.

Edited by Asashosakari