Sign in to follow this  
aderechelsea

Sumo Reference Website Down?

i don't know if this is the right place to post this topic but here goes .... (Clapping wildly...)

as i mentioned in the past i am completely illiterate when it comes to database queries. I don't know why but all these parameters in the query page make me insane and i barely ever get any results similar to what i was looking for.

my problem this time is the following...

i noticed the high percentage of okuri-something wins for Kaiho (not very strange though if you know his style of fighting) and i wanted to make a comparison to the rest of the sekitori (maybe include some retired ones too) and i wanted to avoid doing that manually. Is there any chance of doing this?

please instruct me and i will buy you a beer when we meet. :-P

:-)

The database queries does not give percentages since you'd have to define which values to compare which would become quite complex. I've thought about enriching the interface with such options, and likely I will do so, though not in the near future. Anyway, I doubt a more complex interface is what you are looking for. :-)

For now, I really recommend the "Bouts by kimarite" page, which even works without queries. :-P Here is the one for Kaiho. For all kimarite (Kaiho had) you also get the overall percentage as a reference which looks like you are looking for. The overall percentage is calculated during the time the rikishi was active, so it will vary slightly between rikishi (or not so slightly in case of big shifts in kimarite usage).

Kaiho had 41 okuridashi, about 9% of his wins, while the overall percentage for okuridashi is about 3%, so your hunch is correct. It's similar for okuritaoshi (1.53% to 0.56%) and of course his single okurinage (0.22% to 0.04%).

Edit: No, I don't think off-topic is a good sub-forum for this. Should be moved to Ozumo discussions where the other Sumo Reference topics are too.

Edited by Doitsuyama

i don't know if this is the right place to post this topic but here goes .... (Clapping wildly...)

as i mentioned in the past i am completely illiterate when it comes to database queries. I don't know why but all these parameters in the query page make me insane and i barely ever get any results similar to what i was looking for.

my problem this time is the following...

i noticed the high percentage of okuri-something wins for Kaiho (not very strange though if you know his style of fighting) and i wanted to make a comparison to the rest of the sekitori (maybe include some retired ones too) and i wanted to avoid doing that manually. Is there any chance of doing this?

please instruct me and i will buy you a beer when we meet. :-P

:-)

I am also not the most experienced querier...

However, I used the bout query, entered the career points of Kaiho in the "basho" field (199601-200707), chose "wins only" and kimarite "okuridashi", and sorted results by rikishi1. This at least gave me the absolute number of okuridashi wins during Kaiho's career.

If you go to Kaiho's page and choose "Show all bouts by kimarite" you can see that his okuridashi percentage is about 9% as compared to 3% for all other rikishi. As far as I know these percentages do not take into account the full history of ozumou, but only those bouts which were taking place during Kaiho's career.

I don't think that this is sufficient for a beer because it's not exactly what you've been asking for. But a Coke will do it for starters. (Clapping wildly...)

Kaiho had 41 okuridashi, about 9% of his wins, while the overall percentage for okuridashi is about 3%, so your hunch is correct. It's similar for okuritaoshi (1.53% to 0.56%) and of course his single okurinage (0.22% to 0.04%).

thanks a lot for your answer ... :-)

i have made a small research manually for other rikishi like Tokitenku or Ama but i was wondering if it was possible to get a list easier. I realize it is not easy but your work never seases to amaze me and that's why i was thinking there might be more than i found by myself.

the comparison results between Kaiho's and overall percentage don't surprise me because i cannot think of another rikishi that has an actuall strategy of doing well-timed inashi and then try to get from behind. I am glad my "feeling" was on spot.

I don't think that this is sufficient for a beer because it's not exactly what you've been asking for. But a Coke will do it for starters. :-P

if not for anything more, i'll get you a beer too just for taking the time to answer my silly question ....

(Clapping wildly...)

EDIT: another "suspect" of high percentage of okuri wins was Kyokushuzan and he is standing at 6.08% .... (i think i found a new "toy" ... hehehe :-) )

Edited by aderechelsea

That's not going to be the answer you're looking for, adere, but questions like these are when I fire up Excel and copy the output from several queries into a spreadsheet for further processing... Of course, that tends to make things more complicated rather than easier.

BTW, as a long-term suggestion, I'd really like the kimarite box in the bout query to be multi-selectable...

Edited by Asashosakari

i have made a small research manually for other rikishi like Tokitenku or Ama but i was wondering if it was possible to get a list easier. I realize it is not easy but your work never seases to amaze me and that's why i was thinking there might be more than i found by myself.

Hmm, it looks like you found that "Bouts by kimarite" page already. Since your question was about the bout query feature originally, I will concentrate a bit on that to help in your research. You can narrow down the field of potential rikishi if you group them by okuridashi wins, here is the query definition for this (restricted to makuuchi and juryo here). Look at that and try to play around with it, and maybe you will find the bout query not so complicated as it seems at first.

From this query result you can follow the links to the rikishi and look in the "Bouts by kimarite" page for the okuridashi ratio. You will find that only Asanowaka and Terao had more okuridashi wins than Kaiho as a sekitori, but a lower percentage, Asanowaka 8.24% and Terao 5.41%. Higonoumi with 7.73%, Daio with 7.13%, ozeki Kirishima with 6.55% and Kyokushuzan with 6.08% also had a high okuridashi ratio.

From this query result you can follow the links to the rikishi and look in the "Bouts by kimarite" page for the okuridashi ratio. You will find that only Asanowaka and Terao had more okuridashi wins than Kaiho as a sekitori, but a lower percentage, Asanowaka 8.24% and Terao 5.41%. Higonoumi with 7.73%, Daio with 7.13%, ozeki Kirishima with 6.55% and Kyokushuzan with 6.08% also had a high okuridashi ratio.

Asanowaka was the one i looked up after Kyokushuzan .... (Showing respect...)

the rest of them are interesting additions to my "mental list" of okuri experts. So .... is Kaiho the all-time leader in the percentage list? (Holiday feeling...)

Some Excel magic gives me this (rikishi with >=50 Makuuchi wins since 1949.05, all okuri* techniques combined, bouts as Makuuchi rikishi only):

Shikona

Wins

okuri

okuri%

Daio

14.04%

Naminohana

12.82%

Kaiho

11.11%

Asanowaka

10.69%

Enazakura

10.29%

Higonoumi

9.85%

Kiraiho

9.60%

Hamanoshima

9.22%

Ama

8.89%

Kenko

8.84%

Aminishiki

8.70%

Tomonohana

8.65%

Toyozakura

8.64%

Kyokudozan

8.62%

Kototsubaki

8.00%

Takamisakari

8.00%

Kyokushuzan

7.84%

Aogiyama

7.62%

Mainoumi

7.47%

Kitazakura

7.46%

Kirishima

7.32%

Daishi

6.90%

Terao

6.87%

Wakanoyama

6.86%

Shiratayama

6.82%

Kotomitsuki

6.76%

Daishoho

6.76%

Kitakachidoki

6.65%

Wakanojo

6.41%

Wakanohana

6.35%

Kasuganishiki

6.32%

Tokitenku

6.25%

Tamarikido

6.15%

Toyonoshima

6.03%

Shinko

6.00%

Futatsuryu

5.91%

Kakizoe

5.88%

Ushiomaru

5.88%

Akinoshima

5.87%

Kotonowaka

5.76%

Kotoinazuma

5.68%

Yoshikaze

5.36%

Gojoro

5.31%

Kaio

5.24%

Asanosho

5.16%

Tamakasuga

5.13%

Asahifuji

5.12%

Daizen

5.11%

Yoshinomine

5.10%

Other currently active (plus some recently-retired) rikishi:

Shikona

Wins

okuri

okuri%

Asashoryu

4.90%

Takanohana

4.81%

Takatoriki

4.75%

Musashimaru

4.65%

Takekaze

4.49%

Otsukasa

4.47%

Asasekiryu

4.43%

Roho

4.32%

Tosanoumi

4.22%

Chiyotenzan

4.17%

Jumonji

4.05%

Kotooshu

4.05%

Miyabiyama

4.04%

Toki

4.02%

Shimotori

4.00%

Tochiazuma

3.93%

Tochinohana

3.87%

Oginishiki

3.68%

Musoyama

3.46%

Tochisakae

3.36%

Mitoizumi

3.21%

Tokitsuumi

3.15%

Buyuzan

2.99%

Hokutoriki

2.79%

Tochinonada

2.78%

Takanowaka

2.62%

Iwakiyama

2.50%

Kokkai

2.47%

Kotoryu

2.46%

Hakurozan

2.41%

Hayateumi

2.38%

Wakanosato

2.32%

Kasugao

2.21%

Chiyotaikai

2.14%

Kinkaiyama

1.96%

Hakuho

1.90%

Akebono

1.75%

Kyokutenho

1.35%

Kotoshogiku

0.87%

Dejima

0.85%

Kisenosato

0.75%

Futeno

0.00%

Homasho

0.00%

Edited by Asashosakari

(Showing respect...) (Shaking head...)

exactly what i was looking for ..... (Holiday feeling...)

I can't access the "Sumo Reference" site. Is the reason because of the server being down, or ????

It gives me the following message:

Network Error (tcp_error)

A communication error occurred: "Operation timed out" The Web Server may be down, too busy, or experiencing other problems preventing it from responding to requests. You may wish to try again at a later time.

Regards:

Achiyama

OK fess up... Who asked the database when will Kisenosato make yokozuna?

You know how supercomputers tend to go on a strike (i.e. sulk) when faced with impossible questions...

• Like 1

I can't access the "Sumo Reference" site. Is the reason because of the server being down, or ????

The site is down.

The site is down.

Is there a chance the site to be back on soon or not?

Edited by Achiyama

The site is down.

Is there a chance the site to be back on soon or not?

We don't know. We hope it will be back for the basho. People are trying to fix it.

Sorry if there are better places for this post. Sumo Reference appears to be down. Any prognosis? I am sure efforts are being made, I was just wondering as the new Banzuke comes out tomorrow Japan time. Thanks for your efforts to those who run Sumo Ref, I love it.

Try this link for the moment. More infos are already in the Sumo Games subforum. Doitsu is moving the stuff around.

Thanks for the link Yorikiried by fate. It worked!

Regards,

Achiyama

Edited by Achiyama

Thanks to the sumo gods for moving my post. I would have never thought to look in "sumo games" for reference info, but it makes sense now.. maybe. :-)

For several days I have no access to Sumo Reference :-|

Is there only an update or has the page moved?

I definitely hope it will be back before the basho starts! It is an amazing site for information.

Swami