Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

New yumitorikishi

Starting sometime next year, 35 year old Sandanme Satonofuji from Isegahama beya will take over the yumitorishiki duties. He has been practicing and will debut his art on the 26th in Hiroshima at the Aki Jungyo. Historically, the rikishi who does it belongs to the Yokozuna's stable but till now it was Shouhou from Kasugayama beya because Hakuhou's Miyagino didn't produce one. With the new Yokozuna, someone from his own Isegahama beya has been picked. "I'm ready.Being able to wear an oicho (topknot) is a good feeling. I'd like to show the fans good form!!" he said. "This is great news!!" said Harumafuji.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 2

Tsukebito of Harumafuji - will there be a reduction of tsukebito duties ?

sp-yy-121014-02-ns-big.jpg

• Like 1

I like the current guy very much. Maybe he will be compensated by reaching sekitori ranks late in his career as he will be listed at a new career high in upmost Makushita for Kyushu.

Starting sometime next year, 35 year old Sandanme Satonofuji from Isegahama beya will take over the yumitorishiki duties.

Debut on the 27th in Hiroshima at the Aki Jungyo.

G20121028004428270_view.jpg

At one time he moved the wrong foot: "I was nervous, 90 points."

• Like 2

So does this mean that Shouhou doesn't get to do the bow dance anymore? Or will they alternate performing the closing duties?

Satonofuji will start his yumitorishiki duties in Hatsu, it has been officially proclaimed today. OTOH, Shohou will do it in Osaka. From now on "they will discuss it and decide between themselves", says the cryptic article. "I did it during the jungyo, so there should be no problem," said the new guy.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1

Forgot about his having his first official twirling today.. "I'm glad I got all the moves right.. I was so nervous my throat went dry. It was easier doing my bout.." he said. The fans were enthusiastically supporting him. "Every time I twirled the bow the crowd went 'waaah' and that made me feel good.." he summed.

Satonofuji;

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 4

Smooth, energetic performance, and none of the fumbling with the bow that often comes across as inelegant. It was a pleasure to watch.

a bit on the "fast and furious" side of things.

i rarely watch the yumitorishiki but i have to admit that i prefer his more energetic style than Shoho's and Oga's (those two i can recall from memory).

Since we have a topic on the subject...

Not relevant right now, since we have 2 yumitorikishi (as we have 2 yokozuna), but what happens when there's only 1 yumitorikishi, and he's not taking part in the basho? Does one of his predecessors do it, or do they have a back-up in training?

Haven't seen it mentioned anywhere: Does anyone know why Shoho did the bow-twirling again this basho?

Haven't seen it mentioned anywhere: Does anyone know why Shoho did the bow-twirling again this basho?

As I wrote a few post above, they will alternate "at their own discretion"..

• Like 1

As I wrote a few post above, they will alternate "at their own discretion"..

Thanks. I knew I was missing something.

My "something cool I learned this basho". For the other five basho of the year, the yumitori-shiki performer wears a kesho-mawashi with the crest of the Nihon Sumo Kyokai on it. For the Haru basho alone he wears a kesho-mawashi paid for by the Tozai-kai, the exclusive sumo supporters group seen sitting close to the dohyo wearing brown jackets. In the picture you can see the kanji for Tozai-kai (東西会) on the kesho-mawashi.

shoho.jpg

Edited by Yubinhaad
  • Like 3

Tozaikai kesho-mawashi? That's something I didn't know! (Hugging...)

Orion

Tozaikai kesho-mawashi? That's something I didn't know! (Hugging...)

Orion

IIRC, this is mentioned on the Japanese language broadcast in Osaka during the basho D. Have heard it a few times.