Sign in to follow this  
勝 Katsu

Question RE: Heya

As I know the Jhapaneez are fond of crests (Mons) for commercial, familial and social use. I wondered if the Heya have Mons and...if so...would someone mind posting each Heya and their crest with a little blurb on the stable itself....come to think of it, that would make an excellent book....(runs off to begin compiling info...)

Seriously though, it would probably be an asset to the forum if a "mini" version of the Ozumo/Heya topic was added to the Glossary...then it could be an encyclopedia....;) (Applauding...)

• Like 1

hmmm...that's unfortunate. Maybe I'll just create some...maybe the forum uses them, maybe not...maybe somebody passes them on to the KyoKai...and they say "Wow! What a great idea? Why didn't we think of this? Consider the marketing potential!"

(or not) ;-)

Wow, are they mons? If so, why so hidden? Do they have them on the walls of their heya as well?

Those were from my photos.

Google 相撲 紋付 and you can see many more.

Mon are family crests so each rikishi has his own.

The kyokai mon is the one on the yumitori kesho mawashi. Here is a picture of it lying around backstage near the shitakubeya in Nagoya last year.

1-3.jpg

I can't see any of these. :'-(

But I did Yahoo search the Japanese phrase and found this

i777290_thjjjj.jpeg

What? A Sumo cartoon? Does anyone know where this came from?

Anyway, Of course the rikishi would have their own mons, but I was wondering about the heya themselves.

Many of them are like Japanese family names so it would make sense that the mon would be part of the whole ritual... :-S

Edited by 勝 Katsu