Sign in to follow this  
Afrozuna

Makuuchi knockouts

Can we please make a list of knockout bouts where rikishi have mementarily been knocked out during a bout

Hakuho vs Myogiryu

I also remember a bout featuring Onokuni where he seemed to be out for a while after tachiai

• Like 1

If we search the archives going back twenty years, we might find one or two examples of a rikishi intentionally trying to knock his opponent out, but a Yokozuna? Hakuho nearly KO'd Kisenosato yesterday and he will--in my estimation--knock out another opponent in the future.

Kyokudozan knocked out Musashimaru as well, i know because Doitsuyuma linked it in my "what do you think of harite" thread, i guess it is my inexperience that led me to believe ko's were very rare.

Thanks for the videos you have posted Kishinoyama,

at the end of this clip is the bout where Yokozuna Onokuni gets knocked out, the other bouts are quite vicious too

Watching so many of these bouts makes me wonder what kind of medical assistance is available on the side of the dyoho. Are there medically qualified people there at all? It only takes one incident in a lifetime to create the kind of outcry Sumo does not need right now

Kyokudozan knocked out Musashimaru as well, i know because Doitsuyuma linked it in my "what do you think of harite" thread, i guess it is my inexperience that led me to believe ko's were very rare.

There are almost 2,000 makuuchi bouts per year - I really don't think it's more than rare.

There are almost 2,000 makuuchi bouts per year - I really don't think it's more than rare.

You know i think it's time i listened more and talked less :)

If we search ... we might find one or two examples of a rikishi intentionally trying to knock his opponent out ..

Really? Can you find single example when you can prove the intent was to knock out the opponent? The outcome yes, but intent? Please stop these ridiculous claims. You don't know and you can not know what they intent prior to or during bout unless they say it.

I think when rikishi use open palms to strike the face they know it could lead to a knock out but I dont think this is their intent. Probably more to disorient and agitate. When they start to lose their cool it makes them vulnurable to pull downs and other tsuki/oshi kimarites

Posted (edited)

Was it wrong of me to laugh at Baruto's gyoji-bowling KO? It wasn't so much the KO as the non-reaction of the ringside rikishi and shimpan.

I remember Chiyonofuji admitting to blacking out briefly in a loss to Konishiki. It's the one where he ends up on his back in the second row of seats - late 80s some time. Chiyonofuji said he felt the impact of the tsuppari, but didn't not remember the fall, and he came to on the floor.

Edited by RabidJohn

3 hours ago, RabidJohn said:

Was it wrong of me to laugh at Baruto's gyoji-bowling KO? It wasn't so much the KO as the non-reaction of the ringside rikishi and shimpan.

I also often laugh at gyoji accidents, then feel bad about them afterwards and hope that those old bones are okay.