Sign in to follow this  
Washuyama

Yokozuna Promotion timetable

As it's been awhile since I've followed sumo during a yokozuna promotion (I know it isn't official yet, but I'm pretty confident) what is the normal timetable for the official notification, tsuna making and first public dohyo-iri? (IIRC the dohyo-iri is held at Meiji Shrine, but the last yok promotion I saw was Wakanohana II in 1978)

I always look forward to the pics of the new yok learning the dohyo-iri from the retired ones. Wakanohana I showing Wakanohana II. I also seem to remember seeing a photo, in the recent past, of Akebono teaching Asashoryu.

I can't back with official info, but I expect it will go on like this should he be promoted.

On the after the basho, 24th, the Yokozuna committee will gather ato discuss and corfirm teh promotion. In the following days some rikishi from the ichimon will gather to make the tsuna. In the first days of October it will made public and probably the day after he will appear at the meiji shrine. Within days he will the first dohyo-iri will take place before the public.

It sounds as though things will be happening more quickly - Sports Hochi says he'll be doing the Meiji shrine dohyo-iri this coming Friday and have his first official appearance as yokozuna for Tochinonada's danpatsushiki on Saturday.

I believe the promotion itself happens in the same manner as an ozeki promotion. There's an official, formal visit from the Kyokai to deliver the news, and the new yokozuna replies with a short speech about how he will do all he can to uphold the dignity of the rank, etc. And there are fish held aloft.

The first step, the YDC today decided unanimously to recommend Harumafuji for promotion to yokozuna.

The comments of the members express that they think his hinkaku improved recently. The harite was criticized, but no mention of the kiss-the-dohyo performance. No comment from Sawamura-iin listed.

• Like 1

but no mention of the kiss-the-dohyo performance.

Maybe because he did not so? Very deep performed push-ups, we called it "japanese" style push-ups in our training. I guess you will find enough examples on Youtube. Question yourself, why should a sumotori voluntarily touch the ground with anything other than his feets?

Will there be an officially channel providing his first Dohyo-iri via internet?

Like I said, it's tomorrow. The secret words he will use to answer the Kyokai messengers* will be the exact words he used when he was promoted to Ozeki - 全身全霊 (I think I love you zenshinzenrei- complete devotion, body and soul). "I still don't know what's what, but I'm really happy.." he said at a press conference yesterday. "I am what I am so I will continue living my life and doing sumo my way," he added, meaning that he will remain true to himself, I guess (unless he is Popeye in disguise, but he isn't so no). "Are you OK?" asked Isegahama Oyakata at some point, to which he replied "I'm OK," raising a few press eyebrows. "Until now I have done it my way and I hope to continue along those lines and do what has to be done diligently and seriously," he said. "I would like to teach him the dohyo-iri the way I did it," said a proud Isegahama Oyakata, referring to the shiranui way.

* The head messenger is usually a riji from the same ichimon. Guess who that is. OK, Ikazuchi the shamed. So he won't be going.. Instead, it will be Hakkaku leading."I don't belong to the ichimon but it's still a great honor. A Yokozuna is a "banner" for the entire Kyokai. Together, we will all make it exciting!!" said Hakkaku.

"Was that you?/'

"Are you kidding? Wasn't that you?/"

"No..It was you.."

"Gimme a break, it was you.."

"Are you OK?"

"I'm OK.."

sum12092510110002-p1.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1

Maybe because he did not so? Very deep performed push-ups, we called it "japanese" style push-ups in our training. I guess you will find enough examples on Youtube. Question yourself, why should a sumotori voluntarily touch the ground with anything other than his feets?

I used the phrase only because it appeared like that on the forum, I seem to fail constantly to convey my message.

Harite and ketaguri (Tokitenku style) Harumafuji shouldn't do, but the low "frog" shikiri (Asanowaka style) is ok, the last one when time is up he and he has his face close to the dohyo. Sawamura-iin himself approved.

As for the low shikiri, I remember seeing an OLD photo of Yokozuna Terukuni (ironically also of Isegahama Beya) who did one as well and IIRC he even earned the nickname "the flat spider."

The hemp with which the tsuna is made is prepared today at the heya (asa-momi).

0925haruma-ns-big.jpg

001.jpg

view0013359824.jpg

sum12092518120003-p1.jpg

sum12092518120003-p3.jpg

sum12092518120003-p4.jpg

sum12092518120003-p5.jpg

• Like 2

The name plate of Harumafuji at the heya is already moved to the yokozuna position.

sum12092518120003-p2.jpg

001.jpg

"We finally got rid of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. That's all there's left of it for good."

* The head messenger is usually a riji from the same ichimon. Guess who that is. OK, Ikazuchi the shamed. So he won't be going.. Instead, it will be Hakkaku leading."I don't belong to the ichimon but it's still a great honor. A Yokozuna is a "banner" for the entire Kyokai. Together, we will all make it exciting!!" said Hakkaku.

Hakkaku will be accompanied by Tamagaki-oyakata, former Komusubi Tomonohana, obviously a heavy metal fan (or a secret satanist). (Punk rocker...)

messengersh.jpg

• Like 3

vlcsnap-2012-09-25-22h43m06s231_zpsb699cbc7.jpg

• Like 1

vlcsnap-2012-09-25-22h43m06s231_zpsb699cbc7.jpg

Still I can't see him touching the ground with everything else then his fists and feet. He proofes his strength and determination by going as deep as possible in that "japanese style" pushup. Neither his knees nor his face touching the ground. But I would be highly interested in an officially statement toward that move...

The dohyo-iri practice will begin tomorrow?