Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

Videos Aki 2012- Days 1-15

Great to see you back, Kintamayama. Hope the cruise gig went well

A day after we returned-the company went bankrupt..

Thank you very much Kintamayama (Clapping wildly...) I've said it before but your video's really are the icing on the basho cake :)

Hopefully the day after you were paid

Notsomuch..

Notsomuch..

M8HPt.gif

• Like 1

Re: the Gunning-Mihara video

It's stalling (repeatedly) for me at the 1:21 mark, and at 26 MB on the download. Not sure if it's me, or if there's something else going on. (what I heard is interesting, and it's nice to finally put voices to the names and faces)

EDIT - OK, something changed. I tried both viewing from here and downloading from YT about 90 minutes after my original post, and everything's working ok (yay!)

Edited by Fukurou

Thank you for this! Bonus points for Slippiotoshi :-D

Edited by Zenjimoto

Regarding the Kaisei-Baruto bout on day 1, the aerial boundaries of the dohyo aren't completely clear to me. I don't think they're clear to the gyoji either.

Regarding the Kaisei-Baruto bout on day 1, the aerial boundaries of the dohyo aren't completely clear to me. I don't think they're clear to the gyoji either.

If by aerial boundaries you mean extending the "plane of the dohyo" into the surrounding air, the answer is that there's no such rule; you can't lose by having your feet drop below that plane, only by actually touching either the sloped part of the dohyo or the ground outside. On the flipside, you can't win by jumping really high (or far) and hoping that your opponent touches down before you - if Rikishi A has clearly sent Rikishi B outside the dohyo and B no longer has any way to affect A's positioning, B is generally judged "dead body" and can no longer win even if he touches the ground later than A does.

Edited by Asashosakari

The question is whether Baruto stepped outside and touched with his right foot before he took the big step into the seats. The stream angle is ambiguous. The shimpan and gyoji have a different angle. This is the only way that Kaisei would get the win.

Edited by Asojima

Why didn't Baruto himself not call for a monoii? Or is that lacking hinkaku?

On the other hand, if he would stop being a one trick pony and start doing serious sumo, he wouldn't find himself in these dilemmas.

Slow motion replays start at 3:40.

Nothing ambiguous there. Bad Call!

In twenty-plus years of watching sumo I've questioned a few calls, but that may be the first time I've seen absolutely conclusive evidence of a botched call in an official tournament. That's unfortunate for Baruto.

Wow! are Takanoyama's bouts exciting or what! Ok it was a Henka, (or at least he didn't meet the tachi'ai properly) but from a thinner rikisihi i suppose it's more to be expected if not necessarily encouraged, what speed and strength! :-) When he doesn't get blasted out the ring i'm often left with my heart in my mouth watching his bouts.

Edited by Bugman

Kyokutenho looks determined, another tournament win for him? :) Masunoyama, little-lungs, big heart.

Why didn't Baruto himself not call for a monoii? Or is that lacking hinkaku?

Well it would be lacking hinkaku but it's also not allowed. Only the judges (or in theory the rikishi waiting for their match, although in practice it almost never happens) can call a monoii.

Thank you for that (and the Terao bit!) :-D Great action today!

You and everyone else are welcome. Now, I'm going down the road to see the Red Hot Chili Peppers live. Tel Aviv- the city with no limits.. (Yesterday-saw Ian Anderson (Jethro Tull). 4 days ago-Jefferson Starship.)

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 2

Some great bouts today, the highlight being the back-and-forth nailbiter of Takayasu vs. Wakakoyu.

Narrowly edging "one kick pony" into second place. (Applauding...)

Edited by Yubinhaad