Sign in to follow this  
Igordemorais

Aki Basho 2012 Discussion Thread

It was a bad enough habit coming from the disgraced Russians, who played these stupid tachiai games very often as well, but at least they were only occasioal visitors to sanyaku. Coming from an ozeki, it's disgraceful.

On the other hand, the Russian thing was to use the false starts to set up a five-alarm henka for a proper tachiai, which I found infinitely more annoying. (Tokitenku's ad infinitum attempts at ketaguri have been getting close.) I'm just not too bothered about the occasional intentional false start if it's used "only" to play mind games with the opponent. The real problem is that far too often the gyoji and shimpan haven't bothered to call Kise on his one-hand-not-down starts in the followup - that's probably a much bigger annoyance to his opponents than the false start before.

I'm starting to hope that the Harumaster gives Hakuho a taste of l33t pwnag3.

Whatever that means..............

Hak v Myo.............what are some of you posters on about? This is a full contact martial combat contest you are watching. If you want pattacake, go watch pattacake. How many boxers care less about the quivering mass on the canvas? Myogiryu got knocked down, twitched a bit, then got up. That's why they do keiko, get knocked down then get up again.

Glad to see that others are picking up on Kisenosato's crap at tachiai, he was even practising it at keiko pre basho.

Glad to see that others are picking up on Kisenosato's crap at tachiai, he was even practising it at keiko pre basho.

No he wasn't, that was somebody (you?) wildly misinterpreting a comment he made. Sheesh. Kyokai bigwigs not doing enough to play the bad guy role lately so we're forced to invent other bogeymen?

• Like 1

On the other hand, the Russian thing was to use the false starts to set up a five-alarm henka for a proper tachiai, which I found infinitely more annoying. (Tokitenku's ad infinitum attempts at ketaguri have been getting close.) I'm just not too bothered about the occasional intentional false start if it's used "only" to play mind games with the opponent. The real problem is that far too often the gyoji and shimpan haven't bothered to call Kise on his one-hand-not-down starts in the followup - that's probably a much bigger annoyance to his opponents than the false start before.

You're right about the fuller Russian tactic. Perhaps I'm getting the wrong impression, but it seems to me that Kise's false starts happen rather more often than occasionally.

I'm starting to hope that the Harumaster gives Hakuho a taste of l33t pwnag3.

Whatever that means..............

Igor was writing in "l33t", a now-obsolete online dialect once common among gamers and other assorted geeks. "l33t pwnag3" means, roughly, combat superiority.

"Pwn" still has a certain amount of currency, but the rest of the dialect is pretty much a bygone thing.

Edited by Kuroyama

Igor was writing in "l33t", a now-obsolete online dialect once common among gamers and other assorted geeks. "l33t pwnag3" means, roughly, combat superiority.

Yeah, I thought that had pretty much gone by the wayside since using TeamSpeak instead of typed communication had become the de facto standard in online gaming.

I've pruned this thread from some more personal posts - it's recommended to carry such a debate over PMs. Thank you!

For the curious, posts haven't been deleted and can be found at the appropriate subforum.

• Like 1

Hak v Myo.............what are some of you posters on about? This is a full contact martial combat contest you are watching. If you want pattacake, go watch pattacake. How many boxers care less about the quivering mass on the canvas? Myogiryu got knocked down, twitched a bit, then got up. That's why they do keiko, get knocked down then get up again.

Sumo isn't boxing. The goal is not to knock the other guy out.

Anyhow, it was Henka-ho's cold-blooded attitude (not the strike) that rubbed me the wrong way.

Here's a recording of the NHK broadcast with multiple angles & slo-mo.

There's lots of discussion also on the Japanese web about whether Hak has lost his hinkaku.

• Like 1

When I watched the replay a few times it was obvious to me that Hakuho steered Myogiryu's head into his shoulder. Pretty mean. Is there bad blood there? I think it was pretty cruel and the flourish with which he took the kensho turned my stomach. Yokozuna turned street-fighter. Next up knee to the face.

One fact some of you are missing- Hakuhou has been violently grabbing the wad of envelopes for a few days now-it seems to be his new "thang". Absolutely nothing to do with the Myougiryuu match and its outcome.

It's symbolic. It's meant to mean "I want ALL the money! I won't allow another Yokozuna next to me etc." Thereby making the pending promotion more legitimate and debilitating any notions of Mongolian cooperation.

I had to say something like this at one point, don't you think?

Lots of overreacting in this thread. I don't get it.

Me neither. As someone pointed out earlier, sumo is a martial art where neither side should hold back. Things like that happen and how was Hakuho to know that Myogiryu would be knocked out cold from the first touch.

As for Hakuho's after-bout behavior, he's been doing the same faces and exaggerated gestures fir a while now. It's got nothing to do with this particular bout, obviously for Hakuho it's a bout like any other.

Lots of overreacting in this thread. I don't get it.

Just humans showing concern for other humans. Don't be alarmed.

Here's a recording of the NHK broadcast with multiple angles & slo-mo.

There's lots of discussion also on the Japanese web about whether Hak has lost his hinkaku.

I ran a few of the comments under that youtube clip into Google-translate being curious to hear the Japanese opinion, but i found some rather confusing replies such as "Do i win? I was scared" and "Good in gonzo."

Gonzo1.jpg

Gonzo?!

Kintamayama's subtitle of "what, where, retail prices?!?" made more sense lol, that Google-translator has a way to go before it starts translating Japanese properly.

Edited by Bugman

The top two comments say:

"It's just a winning move. This is pretty normal. If you watch sumo on a regular basis, you see it happen a lot."

and

"Came to see the video thinking it must've been awful sumo, but instead saw that it's surprisingly neat."

I quickly browsed through the first few pages and hardly found a condemning comment.

As for Hakuho's after-bout behavior, he's been doing the same faces and exaggerated gestures fir a while now.

Some people are just observationally-challenged and only notice stuff like that when they can finally place it into a "meaningful" context, which usually ends up not that meaningful at all.

Same thing happened during the "Asashoryu dares to take the kensho with his left hand" brouhaha. I forget what the trigger was that made people notice it, but there were the same type of "this or that evil Kyokai act the other day has clearly made him decide to use the left hand to piss them off" speculations - and then it turned out he'd been doing it for a basho and a half already, duh.

Edited by Asashosakari

IFIK, the winner of the previous fight always does that to the rikishi on the same side to "pass on the power" or something.