Sign in to follow this  
Igordemorais

Aki Basho 2012 Discussion Thread

WHAT DID I TELL YOU, WHAT DID I MOTHER--CKING TELL YOU ABOUT THE KYOKMASTER RUNNING THE PWNTRAIN OVER TOCHIOZAN

Beware of prophecy, cause the doom brought upon Kisenosato by your earlier comments might strike Kyokutenho next! :-D

Edited by krindel
  • Like 1

What? I can't hear you..

Denial ain't just a river in Egypt, Kinta-san! But I don't want to jynx Kyokutenho.

God it feels good to see Kisenosato lose.... it's like when you put your hand inside a chocolate box and rummage through the leftover wrappings in search of one that might actually contain a chocolate... and you find one, and you're like, hell yeah, this was nice.

If Harumafuji can keep the shape and determination he shows in this (and of course in the last) Basho, he will be a good Yokozuna regardless the circumstances of his promotion.

Frankly said I was (and will never be) a fan of Harumafuji, but honestly I had to admit, that the Harumafuji we can current see, deserved the Tsuna.

That was an amazing bout Myogiryu-Kakuryo. He beat him on his own ground. I was thinking he justed started his Ozeki run seriously.

HF is great, under such pressure he pulls such a good performance. He didn't dominate the last two bouts but he did some magic. I wonder, why there is so much talk by Kyokai officials for the standards to actually convene YDC and not the standards of the promotion itself. My take is that we hear those opposing his promotion just a bit louder than those who would advocate his promotion even at a lesser performance.

On a completely different subject - oh man, yumifuri Shoho sure seems to be determined to henka his way to juryo eventually. I'm probably in the bottom 20% here when it comes to outrage over tachiai shenanigans in general and henka in particular, but...let's just say I can't remember ever being this disinclined to root for a late bloomer's success. Grumble.

• Like 1

I too am very impressed with Myogiryu in his bout with Kakuryu. His balance was incredible and the forward charging sumo was equally impressive. I look to him being an Ozeki sooner than later.

Unfortunately i missed most of the Sumo today dagnabbit! I'm going to watch an extra hour tomorrow to make up for it.

If Harumafuji can keep the shape and determination he shows in this (and of course in the last) Basho, he will be a good Yokozuna regardless the circumstances of his promotion.

It is very hard to imagine how can he suddenly get all this consistency he always lacked.

I always liked Harumafuji and that's why I prefer to see him as Ozeki for some more years rather than him getting the tsuna and being advised to retire few basho later.Unless indeed they start tolerating Yokozuna with 8-7, 9-6 records.

I too am very impressed with Myogiryu in his bout with Kakuryu. His balance was incredible and the forward charging sumo was equally impressive. I look to him being an Ozeki sooner than later.

Even highest rank seems within reach for Myogiryu. Can he become that long awaited native Yokozuna?

Honestly? The first Basho I ever saw, July last year, was the one he won at Juryo. He impressed me tremendously and has kept on impressing me since then. I truly believe he will make it to Ozeki soon, and perhaps Yokozuna, although that only time can tell.

It is very hard to imagine how can he suddenly get all this consistency he always lacked.

I always liked Harumafuji and that's why I prefer to see him as Ozeki for some more years rather than him getting the tsuna and being advised to retire few basho later.Unless indeed they start tolerating Yokozuna with 8-7, 9-6 records.

They won't be 8-7's, they'll be 4-3-8's.

• Like 1

God it feels good to see Kisenosato lose.... it's like when you put your hand inside a chocolate box and rummage through the leftover wrappings in search of one that might actually contain a chocolate... and you find one, and you're like, hell yeah, this was nice.

I have the feeling that Kisenosato would be pleased by your reaction. He just isn't out there to get friends. Breaking Hakuho's win streak, denying Harumafuji the zensho last year on day 15, the list could go on and on. (The zensho-breaking win actually is one of the reasons I thought his ozeki promotion was deserved even with "only" 32 wins over three basho).

what puzzles me this basho is that the shimpan keep getting decisions wrong

the tv-pictures clearly showed that asasekiryu was the first to touch ground in the second bout

they hat stills that showed the hand of asasekiryu down when daido still was airborn......

and this was, as i mentioned, not the first time they got a decision wrong.......

Just got home from class earlier and finished up watching the matches from yesterday. Myogiryu and Harumafuji are looking solid. Hakuho still looking in top-form, though, as well.

Quick question to the more informed enthusiasts: Say Myogiryu is Ozeki material and Harumafuji hasn't been promoted to Yokozuna and none of the other Ozeki are kadoban... would they promote Myogiryu and have 7 Ozeki or would they make him wait it out and continue winning until an Ozeki is promoted or drops off?

Hard question... Can they deny a sekiwake with, let us say 34+ wins in three bashos the Ozeki-promotion? And there are, as far as I know, no rules that limit the numbers of Ozeki. Clearly they will take a closer look before promotion, but I can imagine that there can be seven Ozekis.

But on the other hand i guess in the time between now and Myogiryu's promotion, we will see the retirement of Kotooshu und the demotion of Kakuryu to Sekiwake. And maybe the Tsuna for Baruto... (Sigh...)

Edited by Tsubame

It's not that simple.... with 6 Ozekis and 1 Yokozuna, for Myogiryu to make Ozeki he will have to consistently beat everyone below him plus 3 of these guys, in three tournaments. As much as I think he is brilliant, with the current roster I believe he will need a couple of years to make it.

Overall, I think the number of Ozeki - Yokozuna is bounded inherently by the limited number of wins that can go around. In the current situation, in order for a sekiwake to get 34 wins over 3 basho he will need to dominate some of the 7 guys above him.

We are just at the limit were it might just be possible to fit one more guy in the Ozeki club with enough wins to go around, but I think if Myogiryu (or anyone else) were to pull off a three-run basho worthy of Ozeki-hood he would have basically forced one of the existing guys to intai or demotion.

• Like 1

Or they can come up with a new ranking. Sekiwake+ or Ozeki+... or S Class Sekiwake... of course I am kidding entirely. ;-)

Overall, I think the number of Ozeki - Yokozuna is bounded inherently by the limited number of wins that can go around. In the current situation, in order for a sekiwake to get 34 wins over 3 basho he will need to dominate some of the 7 guys above him.

We are just at the limit were it might just be possible to fit one more guy in the Ozeki club with enough wins to go around, but I think if Myogiryu (or anyone else) were to pull off a three-run basho worthy of Ozeki-hood he would have basically forced one of the existing guys to intai or demotion.

Thank you for the response. I, too, thought that it would be more likely that one of the current Ozeki would be promoted or demoted before this would have the chance of happening, but I was just curious what would happen if this case would arise.

He's healthy for the first time in a while. If he's healthy he's good enough and deserves it I reckon, but if he gets to Yok and can't stay healthy then he's going into retirement pretty quickly.

He's healthy for the first time in a while. If he's healthy he's good enough and deserves it I reckon, but if he gets to Yok and can't stay healthy then he's going into retirement pretty quickly.

What is the shortest reign for a Yokozuna? I apologize for not taking the time to research it on Sumoreference or similar resources, but I am in the middle of typing a paper and just checking the forum here and there and I'm thinking somebody here might just know off the top of their head.

What is the shortest reign for a Yokozuna? I apologize for not taking the time to research it on Sumoreference or similar resources, but I am in the middle of typing a paper and just checking the forum here and there and I'm thinking somebody here might just know off the top of their head.

Mienoumi would have to be in there. There were others who died but Mienoumi was in the role for 16 months. A wiser forumite may have the correct answer.

Mienoumi and Kotozakura both competed at a record-low 8 basho at Yokozuna in the modern era. They were past the 30 year mark at their promotions, though. Harumafuji - if he makes it - should fare better with a couple of good years still ahead of him.

What's with this If-he-becomes-Yokozuna-he-will-have-to-retire-next-Tuesday business?

I mean, check out what - for example - Akebono, Takanohana III and/or Musashimaru did over years (hint: look for stuf that looks like this: ----------------- Or this: xxyyz-------------) and tell me that they would still have lasted much longer as Ozeki.

• Like 2