Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

New Georgian looking for a job

21 year old Georgian amateur Sumo ex-Juniors world champion Zaza (190/150), who beat Oosunaarashi in the finals for the under 18 crown in 2008, is in Tokyo looking for a heya. I even saw a picture of him with Tochinoshin courtesy of one John person. He visited the KKan yesterday, although he didn't enter and watched from the outside. He did visit the museum, say my sources. There are currently 11 heya without foreigners, so he may make it. He'll be there for two weeks and is planning to do keiko at some heya.

I have a great shikona for him. Zazamaru.

Edited by Kintamayama

wonder if this is the lad who used my mobile phone to call Tochinoshin at the 2005 or 5 SWC in Sakai?

The Nikkan article states that foreigners even after becoming Japanese nationals are still counted as foreign born, naturally. They imply that the foreigners quota is for foreign born rikishi, I heard that is is only for rikishi of foreign nationality - has that changed ?

The Nikkan article states that foreigners even after becoming Japanese nationals are still counted as foreign born, naturally. They imply that the foreigners quota is for foreign born rikishi, I heard that is is only for rikishi of foreign nationality - has that changed ?

Yes.

If I'm not mistaken, Zaza Balashvili is the Georgian I referred to in this three years ago:

- The Georgian juniors team was surprisingly small, in number if not in size. IIRC every single one of them (all men) competed in the unlimited weight categories - one in the U18, three (I think) in the U21. I can't help but get the impression that Georgia isn't really into fostering grassroots interest in amateur sumo, but rather focussing only on developing more pro prospects. Incidentally, the U18 guy managed to get himself disqualified in his first bout for causing three consecutive matta by trying to have an ozumo-style tachiai (i.e. hands down and then not waiting for the starting call) - duh. He proceeded to steamroll through his two repechage bouts afterwards, then lost the bronze medal match, ironically enough, getting pushed out without resistance because he was waiting for a matta call that never came. Fun times, though perhaps not for him.

• Like 1

I have a great shikona for him. Zazamaru.

Or Zazagaboru?

• Like 3

Yes.

Thanks for the link to that interesting topic. I still am far away from being up to date, concerning sumo and especially concerning the forum. I just can't get the search to be "my friend", as phrased recently. Half of my results are too crowded with irrelevant posts to find what I want. Flood control keeps nagging me and when like this time I get a result, it is only one no longer valid, not the one I looked for.

Yes, unfortunately the search function, err, sucks since the big forum update earlier this year. (Through no fault of our excellent admin, I hasten to add.) For more in-depth digging I suggest using Google now, with site:sumoforum.net as one of the search arguments.

Edited by Asashosakari

As we saw in Nishinoshima's Ootake thread, Zaza went to Ootake beya today and had his first keiko session with the big boys. He looked bewildered at times but also showed forward moving sumo, beating some Sandanme rikishi in the process. "I was allowed to do fantastic keiko.The keikoba is beautiful and quiet..The shiko and the butsugari were intense.." he said. Egyptian Oosunaarashi who trained with him: "Zaza was really strong. His upper body is strong, but his lower body is weak, just like mine. I am praying he will be able to join the sumo world". Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 2

Zaza lost all to Oosunaarashi. He said: "I want to become like Harumafuji", well ...

TKY201208280534.jpg

P2012082801781_gurujia-ns-big.jpg

Edited by Akinomaki

Info so curious. One young georgian grows up and one old georgian goes out from Sumo. Zaza will be the new Kokkai??? I hope it. Three georgian rikishi are arrived until Komusubi rank. All of them: Kokkai, Tochinoshin and Gagamaru like Georgiasubi...

One more: something about Kokkai's danpatsu-shiki??? (Osh...)