Akinomaki

New kesho mawashi

Recommended Posts

Terunofuji receives a new kesho-mawashi ahead of Nagoya basho (source: Sanspo)

Quote

This past Friday (25th June), it was announced that rope-hunting Ozeki Terunofuji received a new kesho mawashi from automobile dealer "Good Speed" ahead of July's tournament.  Emblazoned with the character for spirit or energy (気) in the centre, and garnished with a depiction of Mount Fuji along with a crane (the bird, not the construction equipment), the mawashi was donated in the hopes for a promotion-worthy result in Nagoya.

Despite injuries to both knees, a diabetes diagnosis and falling all the way down to Jonidan, the Mongolian's resolve to return to Ozeki resonated strongly with the company's philosophy of "spirit is all you need". Planning to attend the upcoming tournament, company executive Yasuyuki Matsui commented "To suffer such injuries and still have the drive to go on and succeed is truly inspiring. So of course, I would like to cheer him on."

No pictures yet but I look forward to seeing it at the dohyo-iri...

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Shin-Juryo Kotokuzan visited Yokohama city hall recently to report his promotion to Mayor Fumiko Hayashi, as the first sekitori from the city since Zenshinyama, who made his last Juryo appearance in 1999. The design of his first kesho-mawashi was also revealed. On a blue background representing the Philippine Sea is a floral tribute featuring Yokohama's official flower, a rose, and jasminum sambac, the national flower of the Philippines. The Yokohama Citizens Volunteer Association will present it to him on July 4th.


PqKxYAaf_o.jpg


The mayor was presented with an odd-looking banzuke (perhaps intended to be hung on a wall) by Kotokuzan and Arashio-oyakata (former Maegashira Sokokurai).

qyp4BayG_o.jpg

Edited by Yubinhaad
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Yubinhaad said:

The mayor was presented with an odd-looking banzuke (perhaps intended to be hung on a wall) by Kotokuzan and Arashio-oyakata (former Maegashira Sokokurai).

What with Wakatakage promotion to sanyaku and now this fellow, ex-Sokokurai is getting a lot of practice in the honoured art of "wearing a suit and smiling". I notice that he still has his top-knot so I'm assuming that he is still waiting for his snipping ceremony.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Yubinhaad said:

The mayor was presented with an odd-looking banzuke (perhaps intended to be hung on a wall)

...or perhaps quarantined?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking at the arraignment of strings it's very clear that banzuke will be flown as a kite.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah, when a cynical quip turns out to be true. Hope mayor Hayashi enjoys her new hobby.  Remind me never to promise anyone anything ‘when banzukes fly’.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Perhaps not exactly "new" keshomawashi, but this tweet compiles all of Terunofuji's keshomawashi worn this basho. Amazingly he's worn 15 different ones; I wonder how many ozeki could have done that and have in fact done that?

 

Edited by Seiyashi
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hakuyozan has received a new kesho-mawashi from his hometown of Shirataka, Yamagata prefecture. Costing around 3 million yen, it features symbols of the town and prefecture - a white hawk (shiroi taka) and the official flower of the prefecture, a safflower. The flower was dyed with locally-produced dyes made from safflowers, which are widely grown in Yamagata.

It was unveiled at the town hall on August 26th and will be on display there until September 5th, when it will be sent to Hakuyozan for (hopefully) use in the Aki basho. Since he couldn't attend in person, his mother stepped in alongside the Mayor, Seishichi Sato.

WqoSOBvD_o.jpg

img_2021082600517.jpg

AS20210831002499_comm.jpg

AS20210831002500_comm.jpg

 

Meanwhile, shin-Juryo Hokuseiho's first kesho-mawashi was revealed at his alma mater, Tottori Johoku high school. It features the emblem of the school on a kirin jishi mai mask, used in the lion dances performed largely in the Eastern areas of Tottori prefecture. School Principal Ishiura was on hand to present it to the press.

Vfi8xbf6_o.jpg

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Yubinhaad said:

Meanwhile, shin-Juryo Hokuseiho's first kesho-mawashi was revealed at his alma mater, Tottori Johoku high school. It features the emblem of the school on a kirin jishi mai mask, used in the lion dances performed largely in the Eastern areas of Tottori prefecture.

I am sure someone more informed about Japanese culture with tell me  that this Lion is meant to be a friendly and jovial chap who brings good luck and peace, but to me it just looks 100% badass.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Yubinhaad said:

Meanwhile, shin-Juryo Hokuseiho's first kesho-mawashi was revealed at his alma mater, Tottori Johoku high school. It features the emblem of the school on a kirin jishi mai mask, used in the lion dances performed largely in the Eastern areas of Tottori prefecture. School Principal Ishiura was on hand to present it to the press.

Cool design, but its the exact same design as the one they gave to Takakento back in March:

I guess it's some new Tottori Johoku design? Either way, I like it! Whether we'll see it in the dohyo or not is still up in the air it seems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That Hakuyozan one is great. I really like how it was dyed using flowers from that particular region of Japan. I’m sure seeing him wear that will have a lot of meaning to his local fans. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Yubinhaad said:

Hakuyozan has received a new kesho-mawashi from his hometown of Shirataka, Yamagata prefecture. Costing around 3 million yen, it features symbols of the town and prefecture - a white hawk (shiroi taka) and the official flower of the prefecture, a safflower. The flower was dyed with locally-produced dyes made from safflowers, which are widely grown in Yamagata.

It was unveiled at the town hall on August 26th and will be on display there until September 5th, when it will be sent to Hakuyozan for (hopefully) use in the Aki basho. Since he couldn't attend in person, his mother stepped in alongside the Mayor, Seishichi Sato.

WqoSOBvD_o.jpg

img_2021082600517.jpg

AS20210831002499_comm.jpg

AS20210831002500_comm.jpg

 

Meanwhile, shin-Juryo Hokuseiho's first kesho-mawashi was revealed at his alma mater, Tottori Johoku high school. It features the emblem of the school on a kirin jishi mai mask, used in the lion dances performed largely in the Eastern areas of Tottori prefecture. School Principal Ishiura was on hand to present it to the press.

Vfi8xbf6_o.jpg

Pretty intimidating looking principal, I expect pupils behave well at Tottori Johoku school :-D

I assume that Ishiura is the father of the current sekitori Ishiura? 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Hidenotora said:

Cool design, but its the exact same design as the one they gave to Takakento back in March:

Perhaps Tottori Johuko HS doesn't have 3 million yen in the PTA contingency fund, so they try to save some money by working from a standard design.  Also, it would certainly enhance school spirit to see a clutch of sekitori parading around in the TJHS emblem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Yamanashi said:

Perhaps Tottori Johuko HS doesn't have 3 million yen in the PTA contingency fund, so they try to save some money by working from a standard design.  Also, it would certainly enhance school spirit to see a clutch of sekitori parading around in the TJHS emblem.

Isn't that exactly what Saitama Sakae does?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

Isn't that exactly what Saitama Sakae does?

Yeah, they're the ones who give the same standard design to every new sekitori, Tottori always has an individual design, even if one is reused.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Seiyashi said:

Isn't that exactly what Saitama Sakae does?

 

6 minutes ago, Akinomaki said:

Yeah, they're the ones who give the same standard design to every new sekitori, Tottori always has an individual design, even if one is reused.

Yeah, it's way more interesting than the Saitama Sakae design. I was just surprised when I was looking throught the thread and saw Hokuseiho's right after seeing Takakento's on the page previous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With the Saitama special designs and a variety of Tottori designs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Mightyduck said:

Pretty intimidating looking principal, I expect pupils behave well at Tottori Johoku school :-D

I still believe that all Japanese schoolchildren behave well, even though every one of the many school teachers I have met has told me otherwise.

I concur on the principal's look, though. He appears to be the kind of guy who doesn't have to ask twice for silence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Mightyduck said:

Pretty intimidating looking principal, I expect pupils behave well at Tottori Johoku school :-D

I assume that Ishiura is the father of the current sekitori Ishiura? 

Your assumption is indeed correct.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The kesho mawashi set for Terunofuji from his sponsor Nagatanien, he is CM character. The design is a symbolic saying for Japan, the best things to appear in the first dream of the year: 1 ichi Fuji - Mt. Fuji for him, 2 ni taka (falcon), 3 san nasubi (eggplant) 一富士・二鷹・三茄子

20210830-OHT1I51263-L.jpg

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Akinomaki said:

The kesho mawashi set for Terunofuji from his sponsor Nagatanien, he is CM character. The design is a symbolic saying for Japan, the best things to appear in the first dream of the year: 1 ichi Fuji - Mt. Fuji for him, 2 ni taka (falcon), 3 san nasubi (eggplant) 一富士・二鷹・三茄子

20210830-OHT1I51263-L.jpg

Somehow he looks 10 years younger - overly harsh lighting, probably.

Also, that Nagatanien yukata/obi combo. That's what, 8 things screaming Nagatanien in a single photo?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Akinomaki said:

The kesho mawashi set for Terunofuji from his sponsor Nagatanien, he is CM character. The design is a symbolic saying for Japan, the best things to appear in the first dream of the year: 1 ichi Fuji - Mt. Fuji for him, 2 ni taka (falcon), 3 san nasubi (eggplant) 一富士・二鷹・三茄子

20210830-OHT1I51263-L.jpg

Thanks

How unusual is it to have that sort of multi coloured fringing on a yokozuna set? Is that reserved for yokozuna? 

The shading / shine on the eggplant is really well done, they look almost 3d.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mightyduck said:

Thanks

How unusual is it to have that sort of multi coloured fringing on a yokozuna set? Is that reserved for yokozuna? 

The shading / shine on the eggplant is really well done, they look almost 3d.

The colour reserved for ozeki and yokozuna fringes is purple. This is the Nagatanien colour, the sponsor, the biggest kensho sponsor in sumo and Terunofuji is their man, their first yokozuna.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now