Akinomaki

New kesho mawashi (pics)

Recommended Posts

Akinomaki    16,000

New juryo Meisei in his hometown Setouchi village on the Amami islands, Kagoshima, received a kesho-mawashi from the newly created local koenkai.The design is by a local: a sunrise stands for the hope for a fast rise - the sun symbolizes Meisei himself, the wave the nature of Amami. http://amamishimbun.co.jp/index.php?QBlog-20161101-3

At the encouragement party with Tatsunami-oyakata

auto-ZsUgsD.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Akinomaki    16,000

New juryo Oyanagi has 3 new kesho-mawashi. From his Tokyo Nougyou university the standard one, from the Tokitsukaze-beya Tokyo koenkai one with his shikona that shows Mt Fuji, and from the Nagoya koenkai one with a dragonfly, known as kachi-mushi (win-bug) - in sumo a sign of luck. He plans to use them in 5-day rotations at the basho. Another one for the Hatsu-basho by the "Mokkeikai" koenkai (named after the famous story of heya founder  Futabayama and the Woodcarved Rooster) is planned. http://www.hochi.co.jp/sports/sumo/20161107-OHT1T50011.html

20161107-OHT1I50003-L.jpg

 

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Akinomaki    16,000

I won't create an extra thread for shimekomi:
A new indigo blue mawashi for the basho for Mitakeumi arrived on the 8th, ordered for him by the director of a new sponsor, Maruyo from Nagano city. The Deep Purple one he used since Nagoya last year is a bit worn out by now - he also uses it at the jungyo. The new one is more like the color of the summer kimono he started to use this year and he plans to use both shimekomi in alternation. A tsukebito folded the 1m wide and over 8m long silk mawashi to give it the form needed to use it and Mitakeumi will put it on for keiko on the 11th to break it in and get used to it. http://www.shinmai.co.jp/news/nagano/20161109/KT161108IWI090004000.php

till then packed away like this

IP161108TAN000175000.jpg

Edit: on the 11th

IP161111TAN000223000.jpg

 

 

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Akinomaki    16,000

Ura showed his new 4th one at the jungyo. He got it from the Urashima shrine in Kyoto, short Ura shrine - Ura in Urashima 浦島 is different, but in the short form Ura 宇良 is the same as his shikona - it's a shrine for Urashima Taro.

http://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/1747806.html

うらのかむやしろ Uranokamuyashiro is written on the mawashi under the shrine's symbol, that's an old reading for Ura jinja, Ura shrine.

 

battle20161205_ym_ura1-ogp_0.jpg

 

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Akinomaki    16,000
On 7.11.2016 at 14:52, Akinomaki said:

New juryo Oyanagi has 3 new kesho-mawashi. From his Tokyo Nougyou university the standard one, from the Tokitsukaze-beya Tokyo koenkai one with his shikona that shows Mt Fuji, and from the Nagoya koenkai one with a dragonfly, known as kachi-mushi (win-bug) - in sumo a sign of luck. He plans to use them in 5-day rotations at the basho. Another one for the Hatsu-basho by the "Mokkeikai" koenkai (named after the famous story of heya founder  Futabayama and the Woodcarved Rooster) is planned.

The standard Tokyo Agricultural university kesho-mawashi for Oyanagi was officially presented to him by the rijicho of Tokyo Nodai today, though he used it already for Kyushu - they couldn't prepare the event in time. With the 4 kesho-mawashi he'll have for Hatsu, he next year wants to aim for makuuchi and to then get the heya's prestigious shikona Yutakayama.

On 29.9.2016 at 15:56, Asashosakari said:

Adopting the Yutakayama name is under consideration upon his making makuuchi; Oyanagi hails from the same prefecture as the previous two holders of that shikona and of course also attended the same university.

http://www.hochi.co.jp/sports/sumo/20161219-OHT1T50138.html

f_09765440.jpg

 

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Akinomaki    16,000

Hokutofuji got one from his granddad while getting appointed to Tokorozawa sightseeing ambassador in the city hall of his hometown. http://www.tokyo-np.co.jp/article/saitama/list/201612/CK2016123102000126.html

PK2016123102100053_size0.jpg

The name of his grandad 斎藤繁, Saito Shigeru is written as presenter on it, the design is the traditional of the gods of storm and thunder

Korin_Fujin_Raijin.jpg

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
orandashoho    433

That's beautiful... is there a bigger picture somewhere?

The detail seems to be from some (wooden?) panelling... can you tell more about it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Akinomaki    16,000

Bigger pics may appear later, pics of the national treasure masterpiece on which it is based and variations in the pic search: https://www.google.com/search?q=風神雷神図&tbm=isch

In Japanese Buddhist art the 2 gods are depicted rikishi style https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/風神雷神図 and the motif is used on all kinds of souvenirs: https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=風神雷神+商品 and for all kinds of things - recently for this:main.jpg

and as idea for this

ShortlistedEmblems_C.jpg

Edit:

500_F_70235886_gXyvnDZ1mI8GaXaqNxJ51fKdb

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ack!    81

My Christmas present -- antique from 1758, worn by guest ozeki Ominato.

FullSizeRender.jpg

  • Like 14

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
d_golem    185
17 hours ago, Ack! said:

My Christmas present -- antique from 1758, worn by guest ozeki Ominato.

FullSizeRender.jpg

Looks very well-cared for a 250-year piece of clothing! Wow!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Katooshu    448

How common is it for rikishi to have a kesho mawashi made for them on behalf of a specific family member? Most kesho mawashi included in this thread are from koenkai, schools, and corporate sponsors.

Is Hokutofuji's grandfather a notable figure?

Edited by Katooshu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Orion    428
1 hour ago, Katooshu said:

How common is it for rikishi to have a kesho mawashi made for them on behalf of a specific family member? Most kesho mawashi included in this thread are from koenkai, schools, and corporate sponsors.

Is Hokutofuji's grandfather a notable figure?

Kesho mawashi are expensive and if a family member can afford one that is basically it: assuming, of course, that the design is acceptable to the stable master (and ultimately to the Kyokai).  But it is hard to imagine somebody paying out a few million yen for something yucky. Back in the day I followed the whole process of ordering and making of one particular kesho mawashi, to write an article (hint: Kotooshu's special from the EU Delegation) and that ended up in the final stages of the embroidery, followed by my only trip to the Prime Minister's Kantei for the presentation. 

Orion

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Akinomaki    16,000
On 31.12.2016 at 11:57, Akinomaki said:

Hokutofuji got one from his granddad while getting appointed to Tokorozawa sightseeing ambassador in the city hall of his hometown.

The name of his grandad 斎藤繁, Saito Shigeru is written as presenter on it, the design is the traditional of the gods of storm and thunder

Hokutofuji had chosen the design himself: "The god of the winds means a long breath (perseverance, endurance and patience - one of the phrases very much alike in German and Japanese but not in English), the god of thunder stands for speed." http://www.hochi.co.jp/sports/sumo/20161226-OHT1T50200.html

Another article has a slightly bigger pic with both grandparents but still doesn't mention the background of his grandad (81) that enabled him to give such a gorgeous present to Hokutofuji: "I want to make my Tokorozawa shusshin more widely known, and therefore I want to do devote myself to aiming for sanyaku, ozeki and yokozuna."  http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/local/saitama/news/20170104-OYTNT50246.html

20170104-OYTNI50073-L.jpg

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jojo    11
7 hours ago, Orion said:

Kesho mawashi are expensive and if a family member can afford one that is basically it: assuming, of course, that the design is acceptable to the stable master (and ultimately to the Kyokai).  But it is hard to imagine somebody paying out a few million yen for something yucky. Back in the day I followed the whole process of ordering and making of one particular kesho mawashi, to write an article (hint: Kotooshu's special from the EU Delegation) and that ended up in the final stages of the embroidery, followed by my only trip to the Prime Minister's Kantei for the presentation. 

Orion

Here is a link to the thread on this board, with some pictures , including the visit to the Prime Minister...

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rocks    672
12 minutes ago, Jojo said:

Here is a link to the thread on this board, with some pictures , including the visit to the Prime Minister...

Wow, what a boring, generic design. Were the colors better in person? Because they look terrible in those pictures.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Akinomaki    16,000
36 minutes ago, Rocks said:

Wow, what a boring, generic design. Were the colors better in person? Because they look terrible in those pictures.

in action 12.05.2006 it was like this - Osh looks as enthusiastic as you about the design

l.jpg

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rocks    672

Well, at least the blue looks a little better. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Akinomaki    16,000
On 19.12.2016 at 17:03, Akinomaki said:

one for the Hatsu-basho by the "Mokkeikai" koenkai (named after the famous story of heya founder Futabayama and the Woodcarved Rooster) is planned.

Oyanagi likes this one: "Gorgeous" - with a rising dragon in a willow (yanagi)

http://www.nikkansports.com/battle/sumo/news/1761774.html

f-sumo-koyanagi170106yg-ogp_0.jpg

by the same designer as for same heya ex-Tosayutaka (Gori-chan) :

7115.jpg

and Shodai http://fujimuraikuzo.blogspot.de/2015/09/shodai-kesho-mawashi-debut.html

image1_1s.jpg

Sotairyu http://fujimuraikuzo.blogspot.de/2012/02/sumo-wrestling_10.html

%E5%8F%8C%E5%A4%A7%E7%AB%9C%E5%8C%96%E7%

his first was for Tokitenku in 2007 - not Mokkeikai yet

%E6%99%82%E5%A4%A9%E7%A9%BA%E5%8C%96%E7%

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Akinomaki    16,000

That designer's blog is fantastic - it also has a report about the making of the new keshi mawashi for Oyanagi (with more pics) http://fujimuraikuzo.blogspot.de/2016/12/visiting-traditional-fabric-craftsman.html

5P5A6804.jpg

more pics with the new kesho mawashi will appear here: http://fujimuraikuzo.blogspot.de/search/label/相撲

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Akinomaki    16,000

We will see if Takakeisho has one ready with the new name - he'll get new ones, but at first usually has to use also Sato ones. Ex-Daikiho used this and more without a name last basho

Daikiho_2013_11.jpg

the threads for the names can be removed - and they also can put on new names. Esp. the standard ones from universities and schools won't get presented again to the rikishi.

Edited by Akinomaki
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Manekineko    193
1 hour ago, Akinomaki said:

Daikiho_2013_11.jpg

Aw, Tezuka's Phoenix (Hi no tori). Recommend read, for those at all interested in manga.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now