Sign in to follow this  
Igordemorais

Nagoya Basho 2012 - General Discussion Thread

Reminder: Last basho, Harumafuji was 7-7 on senshuraku. He faced Hakuhou and won.

I know that you merely pointed to the fact, but (serious question) would you assume that backscratching would extend to yusho for KK?

It might have been backscratching but their last 7 fights are 4-3 Harumafuji.

Plus, what a tournament Harumafuji has done. This is nothing short of spectacular.... he dominated the opponents with aggression and technique. He sent the chubs flying in all directions quickly. He used 9 different kimarite on 14 fights.

It seems like summertime is Harumafuji time. You know it baby. It's 15-0 and another Nagoya title for the prodigy!

• Like 1

Reminder: Last basho, Harumafuji was 7-7 on senshuraku. He faced Hakuhou and won.

I know that you merely pointed to the fact, but (serious question) would you assume that backscratching would extend to yusho for KK?

that wouldn't be considered backscratching anymore - but something more obscene...

Personally, I expect a straight up affair. Both Hakuho (at least since day 10 or so) and Harumafuji seem to make a point in showing how purely competitive sumo would look like. And it has become an exciting basho, after all. In memory of Asashoryu/Hakuho.

Edited by yorikiried by fate

Shunba vs. Orora was just... remarkable. Pretty sure it's the first time I've ever seen both rikishi go for a "running tachi-ai" like that. The marble beat the bowling ball in the end, but credit to both of them for trying something different.

I am thoroughly amused by what has happened when sumo was introduced to a huge brazilian MMA forum. Quite a few members took a liking to the sport, but the lack of knowledge and bias leads to hilarious observations and perspectives. Sumo minus civilization, so to speak.

There is much love for Hakuho, Harumafuji, Baruto, Kaisei ( of course) and Takanoyama. But after everyone found out about Masunoyama's condition they immediately took a liking to him. The thing is, because of the brazilian tradition to give nicknames to athletes, Masunoyama ended up with the hilarious and somewhat dark "Lungie". Just like Takanoyama is "Tapeworm".

So much love to Lungie from Brazil! Masunoyama for Ozeki w00t!

• Like 1

Shunba vs. Orora was just... remarkable. Pretty sure it's the first time I've ever seen both rikishi go for a "running tachi-ai" like that.

Yeah, that's primarily why I capped the bout. "Tiny guy beats Orora" is always nice to watch, but we've seen it before - but Shunba's rocket launch tachiai was something else. I'm glad it didn't just end in Orora giving him a big squat across the ear for a quick tsukiotoshi victory.

And I'm actually not sure Orora realized he didn't have to start from the same distance as Shunba did...

Edited by Asashosakari

So, do all the people who like to deny Kise and Giku's ozeki-worthiness have anything to say about Baruto? If the YDC guy had his way, he'd be getting demoted now.

Was that really Hakuho ? He invites Harumafuji to do henka tomorrow ?

As a reminder, Harumafuji henka'd Hakuho in January (video from Araibira)

OMG! Has Hakuho ever pulled that one as a yokozuna?? He was visibly p**d at Kise for the two mattas, but still...

Don't know if he's done it as a yokozuna, but he's certainly gotten upset and henka'd before. When he was S1E at Natsu 2005, he got peeved at Dejima, and henka ensued (

)

= I don't understand the thread you quote.

Sorry I simply threw it in the discussion and left. It was meant just to give an example of how this kind of technique can lead to some reactions and how, yet part of the game, as not the brightest of the sumo moves. As to the henka of today, it is not Yokozuna sumo, but Kisenosato was so much asking for it. It would be nice if Hakuho took his own medicine tomorrow.

Was that really Hakuho ? He invites Harumafuji to do henka tomorrow ?

As a reminder, Harumafuji henka'd Hakuho in January (video from Araibira)

OMG! Has Hakuho ever pulled that one as a yokozuna?? He was visibly p**d at Kise for the two mattas, but still...

Don't know if he's done it as a yokozuna, but he's certainly gotten upset and henka'd before. When he was S1E at Natsu 2005, he got peeved at Dejima, and henka ensued (

)

Another memorable Hakuho henka was Osaka 2007 when he sidestepped Asashoryu to win the yusho.

How easily we forget that Hakuho may owe his very yokozuna-hood to a henka.

My opinion is that Kise had it coming. It's not so much that the henka is unbecoming of a Yokozuna, (he's hardly a 'kaze in that respect). I would say that it's more Kisenesato's shennanigans are not worthy of someone of Ozeki rank.

I think the henka had nothing to do with lack of hinkaku or wanting an easy win. Hakuho wanted to punish Kisenosato for his silly games and for his arrogance. He wanted to put him in his place.

It seemed to me more that Hakuho was unnecessarily delaying than Kise was pulling anything. I don't even like Kise, but I thought Hakuho was in the wrong and frankly am a bit surprised at reading the comments here.

M15e Hochiyama is 1-13.... yet in the second half bouts on senshuraku... very odd... and probably very rare..... poor ten-ho for creating this situation.

It seemed to me more that Hakuho was unnecessarily delaying than Kise was pulling anything. I don't even like Kise, but I thought Hakuho was in the wrong and frankly am a bit surprised at reading the comments here.

Guess some people were already a little annoyed at Kisenosato because of his tactics in other bouts. And that is why they posted such comments. (That's my case for certain :) )

It is true that in this particular one, Kisenosato didn't try his games. Wonder why the Yokozuna was annoyed at him even from the start. Maybe he wanted to punish Kisenosato for arrogant behaviour or maybe he sees Kisenosato as a threat and that is why he is more agressive towards him... Whatever the reason, Hakuho should have avoided this.

But since it's already happened, lets hope that there will be some positive outcome out of it.

Edited by Skotkotaikai

Wow, what a dominant win. Well done for Harumafuji's 3rd yusho!

And Harumafuji ain't winning the yusho.

Excellent prognosticating there, Madame Zelda.

Congrats Ama!

• Like 1

And Harumafuji ain't winning the yusho.

Excellent prognosticating there, Madame Zelda.

Congrats Ama!

Nice end to a good basho....

And congrats to Osh - nice job sticking it to Kise.

And likewise to Kak. Beautiful throw!

Good stuff all round. :-D

Congratulations to Harumafuji! Wish to him to be that strong in the next tournament too.

That was one exciting tournament! :)

Some really great sumo, congratulations Harumafuji, already looking forward to Tokyo!

Quite enjoyed watching the live stream. For once I didn't have to rely on Kintanayama's excellent video posts.

Well done Haramafuji; he moves like a runaway shinkansen out there. Good if he can keep it up, but I still remember the disappointment from the basho's following the last two tourney's he won. Would love to see him do it though, and join Hak at the top level.

Was it me or was the award session longer than normal? All sorts of sponsors out there. Loved the big coke bottle lol.