Sign in to follow this  
Yubinhaad

Kotooshu kyujo discussion (split from absence report)

I don't think he'll be particularly susceptible to leg trips, that's more against opponents with dodgy knees. I do think he'll be a prime target for half-henkas of all types wíth his limited mobility.

I would hope that sportsmanship prevails and a rikishi wouldn’t intentionally attack an injury. I have seen it a few times in amasumo because there is no love between countries on the dohyo at a one off event like the World Championships. I imagine it would be very bad etiquette to do target an injury in Ozumo because there are plenty of opportunities for payback because they can’t help running into each other again at training and during the basho. Futabayama kept his blindness in one eye quiet but it didn’t seem to matter. I have heard of some people in other sports taping up an area that is not injured as a decoy to disguise an injury – which is a bit like certain yokozuna saying they had a cold before every basho and then going on to win.

• Like 1

Kotooshu has re-started to do moshiai with sekitori. In between bouts with makushita opponents he took on juryo Kotoyuuki in 10 bouts. He moved his leg around carefully, till far away from his usual form "I proceed slowly. The pain is different from day to day so it's (going on) while viewing the situation".

Sadogatake-oyakata declared "If no new injury occurs I intend to let him enter."

Hochi

Thanks Asashosakari. But just to clarify, by 'leg trip' I was more on about the inadvertent(sic) kick that precedes the attempted trip. So they 'try' the trip with the real intention of kicking the stuffing out of the foot/ankle.

Edited by Bealzbob

Kotooshu trained for the first time after the injury with Kotoshogiku, doing sanban-geiko, finishing 3-6.

The 2nd and 3rd bout he won in a row with yorikiri, but then slowly just after the tachiai was getting forced back out, the power in putting the foot down weakening. The oyakata stopped it.

Kotooshu in a sombre mood: "Moushiai doesn't function. I have pain."

There's no time left till the basho begins, so he started with sanban-geiko, but he's not recuperated yet.

The oyakata: "It's not that he can't do sumo" but "he's protecting his right leg and therefore (putting the force onto his left leg) the left calf stiffens". "I hope he doesn't pull a muscle."

Kotooshu avoiding to make a clear statement about doing 15 day of sumo: "Firstly it's important to enter, with the basho as a target."

He doesn't fail to get massages and other care, but a full recovery is still far away. It it worsens during the basho, a kyujo seems to be possible.

Hochi

Edited by Akinomaki

Kotooushuu will be entering Nagoya although his injury has not healed sufficiently. "I'm not OK. It's getting better every day, but I still have a long way to go.." he said. The reason for his forced attendance is what happened last basho, when he went kyujo on the last day, when he had to face yusho contender Tochiouzan, who as a result of his default win, got a free pass to the playoffs. Kotooushuu was severely scolded by the Kyokai for not turning up and making an effort. His Oyakata replied that he could not even stand on the leg, so his appearing for the match would have been a farce. His "entering rebellion" this time is being met with a lot of sympathy from his fellow sekitori, who of course wish to remain anonymous. "It could have happened to anyone. He shouldn't have been scolded like that," said one of them. This brings up the subject of reinstating kosho, which is a hot potato. The committee formed to prevent the fixing of matches ro return has already recommended to bring back the kosho status back in April 2011 (wherein a rikishi who is injured can sit out a basho for recovery and not get penalized ranking-wise-this rule was in place a few years ago but was abused by some Ozeki and hence was abolished..). The Kyokai has been avoiding this issue by promising that "the deliberation continues" which effectively means it's buried in the 'graveyard of recommendations" for now. What they are really saying is "Get in there even if it's unreasonable!!". Lately, the rikishi grumblings on this subject have been getting louder and louder.

Kotooushuu's entering this basho could prove fatal to his career, as he can aggravate the injury, ultimately ending it . The first few days are less of a problem-as the days progress he will face better and better opponents as the fatigue mounts, and that's when the problem may arise.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 4

On the 5th Kotooshu was 8-7 against Kotoshogiku, kachikoshi. "I always had this in mind" talking about entering the basho, but "entering the basho and then what happens", being a bit anxious.

Daily

Kotoshogiku and Kotooshu at sanbangeiko, Sadogatake-oyakata in the back in the middle.

05191801.jpg

Man, is anyone else kind of scared for Kotooshu? I'm admittedly not his biggest fan (I don't dislike him, though) but I really do not want to see him (or really anyone for that matter) end their career like this. If he had just stuck out that last match last tournament, he might not be in this mess, not that I think he should have wrestled. Hopefully he'll be ok.

• Like 1

Man, is anyone else kind of scared for Kotooshu? I'm admittedly not his biggest fan (I don't dislike him, though) but I really do not want to see him (or really anyone for that matter) end their career like this. If he had just stuck out that last match last tournament, he might not be in this mess, not that I think he should have wrestled. Hopefully he'll be ok.

Yes, kosho has to come back. Sadly, it will probably take some kind of tragedy to make the idiots running sumo see sense. All they need to do is make sure the medical examiners are very strict but fair with their decisions, and don't allow rikishi to withdraw themselves from tournaments.

Kotooshu with a "ready to die for the sumoland" attitude.

Sympathy from other heya rises. Not a few rikishi think that next time it may be them.

Facing the difficult Aminishiki (14-17) on day 1 the oyakata is not concerned: "Maybe that's just good".

• Like 1

Isn't Osh "valuable" to someone as a rikishi even if only financially? a football player would never dream of possibly ending his career by playing on a bad injury and everyone and anyone that has invested in him wouldn't let that happen either, while i admire the "do your best" attitude of Sumo i can't help feel that letting Osh recover before he does any more competitive Sumo is just plain common sense.

If (and this is just my paranoia speaking here) all someone is hoping for is a vacant Ozeki spot to come of this, they could just demote him and let him try to get the rank back later, at least he'd still be in Sumo and wouldn't have to face this possibly career-ending basho, and a heck of a lot of pain.

Pardon my ramblings, just speaking as an amateur that doesn't know much, it just seems illogical to me to make kotooshu compete when he clearly isn't well enough to.

Edited by Bugman

I wonder how many other guys are also competing with injuries that might become career threatening. It's one of the things I don't really understand about Sumo. Beautiful as the "do or die" attitude might be in theory, in practice the risk of it falling on the "die" side is plain ugly.

• Like 1

Kotoushu is a shameful individual and what he did to Tochiozan in the last basho was a disgrace.

Poor baby, his foot had a boo-boo.

• Like 1

Kotoushu is a shameful individual and what he did to Tochiozan in the last basho was a disgrace.

What you are talking about?

Tochiozan was not strong enough to win the yusho. He was not dependent on his own strength, he was dependent on his opponent.

Really, don't blame it

On Kotooshu.

Looks like you are biased...

Laters :)

Edited by Skotkotaikai