Sign in to follow this  
Kyokuhagyo

Rikishi Talk - Day 13, Natsu 2012

Aoiyama, controlling the showdown of two wrestlers with the same record and defeating Takarafuji. Just one win behind the top: "Without thinking about things like the yuushou, I want to do my own sumou and win till the end."

碧山 宝富士との相星対決を制す。トップに1差だが「優勝とかではなく、自分の相撲を取って最後まで勝ちたい」。

Tochiouzan, facing oozeki Kakuryuu on day 14: "It's an opponent that is challenging, so I will go and give it my all. My feeling is that I want to give it a go."

栃煌山 14日目は大関鶴竜に挑戦。「やりがいがある相手なので、気合を入れていく。やってやろうという気持ち」

Toyohibiki, make-koshi: "While it may be true that I got a kinboshi (on day 7), that does not mean with certainty that I can get kachi-koshi. It's tough as higher ranked rikishi are my opponents." (Feels somewhat ironic considering that his record against higher ranks is 3-4 and lower ranks only 2-4)

豊響 負け越し。「(7日目に)金星を取ったからといって絶対に勝ち越せるわけじゃない。上位が相手なので厳しい」

Myougiryuu, riding the force that crushed 4 oozeki, and getting kachi-koshi: "I'm not thinking about being promoted into sanyaku. I think there's a different feeling of tension after getting kachi-koshi."

妙義龍 4大関撃破の勢いに乗って給金直し。「(新三役は)意識していない。勝ち越してからは違った緊張感があるだろうし…」

Source: http://jiji.com/jc/c...k=2012051800956

Oosunaarashi: "I was looking out and thinking that today's bout just got me the yuushou I faced today's bout thinking only about the yuushou. Because my dream is becoming yokozuna, I want to put in even more effort and win the yuushou next basho as well."

大砂嵐は「きょうの一番は優勝することだけを考えて臨みました。横綱になることが夢なので、もっと努力して次の場所でも優勝したい」と話しました。

Source: http://www3.nhk.or.j...5213081000.html

Hakuhou: "I somewhere encountered the feeling of not abandoning all hope for the yuushou, as the win difference to the leaders has come down to 1 win. Perhaps the win difference has become one because somewhere inside I have this feeling that I definitely am not giving up on the yuushou" On a come from behind victory, smiling: "I should go and aim for it."

白鵬は「優勝を絶対に諦めない気持ちがどこかにあったから、星の差が一つになったのでは」と話し、逆転優勝について聞かれると「狙っていこうか」と笑顔でした。

Kisenosato, falling back to 3 losses, while having his eyes closed: "I calmed down a little too much, didn't go and get more tension." "I think there are no more bad parts beyond this.(?) I should get more hot."

3敗に後退の稀勢の里、「少し落ち着きすぎ、もっと緊張していかないと」と目を閉じながら振り返り、「悪いところはこれ以上出ないと思う。もっと熱くなっていい」と気持ちを入れ替えました。

Source: http://www3.nhk.or.j...5227791000.html

37 year old Kyokutenhou, downing Sadanofuji with katasukashi, maintained his 3 loss record. After the outcome was decided, with the leftover momentum landing on his butt, he proclaimed with a smiling face: "I think I'm tired. It's slowly getting dangerous. Falling down by myself and if I get injured, I look like a child, eh?"

37歳の旭天鵬は佐田の富士を肩透かしで下し、3敗を維持。勝負が決まった後、勢い余って自らも尻もちをついたことに触れ「疲れているのかな。そろそろ危ない。自分で転んで傷をつくって、子供みたいだね」と笑顔だった。

On his 800 career wins achievement, with a feeling of satisfaction: "I have a feeling that I did it. The goal that I looked is good number-wise, eh? (?)"

これで史上10人目の通算800勝を達成。「やったという感じ。見た目的にも数字的にもいいね」と満足感を示した。

Joining the leading group, he's not come to dream of his first yuushou: "It makes me go at ease until senshuuraku. However, during the time of the dohyou-iri, the applause was wonderful."

首位グループに加わり、初優勝も夢ではなくなってきた。「千秋楽まで気楽に取らせて。でも、土俵入りのときに拍手がすごかった」と、まんざらでもない様子だった。

Source: http://sankei.jp.msn...20030004-n1.htm

Edited by Kyokuhagyo
  • Like 6

Thanks for the quotes... and I like the Kanji included as it gives me some practice to piece together a word or two.

Thanks so much for your work throughout the basho, it really adds to the enjoyment.

Oosunaarashi: "I was looking out and thinking that today's bout just got me the yuushou. Because my dream is becoming yokozuna, I want to put in even more effort and win the yuushou next basho as well."

大砂嵐は「きょうの一番は優勝することだけを考えて臨み。横綱になることが夢なので、もっと努力して次の場所でも優勝したい」と話しました。

"I faced today's bout thinking only about the yusho..Because my dream is becoming yokozuna, I want to put in even more effort and win the yuushou next basho as well."

Hakuhou: "I somewhere encountered the feeling of not abandoning all hope for the yuushou, as the win difference to the leaders has come down to 1 win." On a come from behind victory, smiling: "I should go and aim for it."

白鵬は「優勝を絶対に諦めない気持ちがどこかにあったから、星の差が一つになったのでは」と話し、逆転優勝について聞かれると「狙っていこうか」と笑顔でした。

"Perhaps the win difference has become one because somewhere inside I have this feeling that I definitely am not giving up on the yusho".

Excellent job this basho - effort well appreciated.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1

Thanks again, and thanks for your support.

One thing I'm wondering about is the のでは at the end of Hakuhou's sentence ...から、星の差が一つになったのでは. Am I correct in thinking that the separate entities are の and では, and literally it's "As for the thing of the win difference having become 1, it's because ..."? Is the 'perhaps' in your translation implicit (I mean, the sentence wouldn't really work without it), or is it encoded somewhere?

Thanks again, and thanks for your support.

One thing I'm wondering about is the のでは at the end of Hakuhou's sentence ...から、星の差が一つになったのでは. Am I correct in thinking that the separate entities are の and では, and literally it's "As for the thing of the win difference having become 1, it's because ..."? Is the 'perhaps' in your translation implicit (I mean, the sentence wouldn't really work without it), or is it encoded somewhere?

Not separate entities. "No de wa' is sort of a sign of a rhetorical question- like "I wasn't very concentrated, perhaps (or, huh?).." It's actually a question not begging an answer. If it were straightforward, it would have been "desu" . If I were to translate it would be "..." at the end of a sentence in English. (I'm sort of busy...")

It can be seen as a shortened version of "dewanai desuka?"

I am not making much sense-it's a bit difficult to explain no de wa

Your explanation is excellent! With the many nice examples, I think I'm getting the feeling for it. :-)

Thanks for translating all the rikishi talk this basho. It's one of my favourite threads. :-)