Sign in to follow this  
Guest Justin

A Path To Sumo

Guest Justin

Hi, my name is Justin and I'm eighteen years old, for a long time now I have been seriously interested in becoming a sumo wrestler. I just found this board today and I'm very glad that I did. Hopefully someone here can provide with additional information on the steps I need to take to fulfill my dream. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Justin

P.S. I also forgot to mention that I am American so don't worry about telling me the trouble I will have in joining a stable, I already know it's harder to become a sumo when you are a foreigner.

Welcome to the forum Justin! I'm also new to this forum and an American. One option about looking into professional sumo is in Europe. There are some groups, like in England, who have ties with Japan (After all Europeans do participate in some world tournaments). But if you cant there is the option in U.S. sumo. It might not be professional but it's the closest thing....

Welcome! If you search this Forum a bit, you will find several threads discussing all the problems and possibilities of joining pro-sumo...

Guest Justin
Welcome to the forum Justin! I'm also new to this forum and an American. One option about looking into professional sumo is in Europe. There are some groups, like in England, who have ties with Japan (After all Europeans do participate in some world tournaments). But if you cant there is the option in U.S. sumo. It might not be professional but it's the closest thing....

Actually, I'm more intrested in going strait to Japan. I've been looking into the European and American associations for quite some time without great intrest, thanks for the offer though.

As for the other posts, I've looked through alot of posts without any luck of seeing someone else as equally determined to become a sumo. I'm just trying to find more information on what exactly you need to do to join a stable. I know that since you are American you must be able to prove that you are very determined and that you will not quit. I'm just wondering if you have to pay to join a stable or you just get accepted.

-Justin

B.T.W.-Right now I'm talking to a man named Andrew Freund who I ran into while looking at the California Sumo Association(CSA). He is the director of the association and claims that he may be able to help me get a "petition for entry". Does anyone know exactly what that means?

Hi Justin and welcome to the forum! Well, you cannot become a sumo, but perhaps you can become a sumotori! (Might as well learn the lingo.) B-)

Actually, I'm more intrested in going strait to Japan. I've been looking into the European and American associations for quite some time without great intrest, thanks for the offer though.

As for the other posts, I've looked through alot of posts without any luck of seeing someone else as equally determined to become a sumo. I'm just trying to find more information on what exactly you need to do to join a stable. I know that since you are American you must be able to prove that you are very determined and that you will not quit. I'm just wondering if you have to pay to join a stable or you just get accepted.

-Justin

B.T.W.-Right now I'm talking to a man named Andrew Freund who I ran into while looking at the California Sumo Association(CSA). He is the director of the association and claims that he may be able to help me get a "petition for entry". Does anyone know exactly what that means?

You might want to talk to "Daaramu" whose name is Ryan Evans. He actually was on his way to become a rikishi but travelled home before entering the banzuke. He should have some insights to add. I don't know how often he actually visits the forum now, but I think he is here sometimes. B-)

Regarding becoming a sumotori, I think the main point is that you have to get into contact with a heya in Japan hopefully before you actually travel there and maybe some of the local organizations have an easier time doing that, if they already have contacts in Japan. Shiroikuma (Pavel Bojar) was behind getting the Checz rikishi Takanoyama to Japan, so he should also know more. I think his website is linked to in rather recent posts on the forum.

Edited by Yubiquitoyama

Guest Justin
Hi Justin and welcome to the forum! Well, you cannot become a sumo, but perhaps you can become a sumotori! (Might as well learn the lingo.) B-)

And why do you say that?

Some people have a habit of using the word "sumo" when they mean sumo wrestler. It has the most odd tone in it. Imagine asking "Are you a HOCKEY?" or "How can I become a professional FOOTBALL?". Same thing so hence the word sumotori would sound much more sensible or sumo wrestler. Sumo is a sport, someone who does sumo isn't called "sumo" just like nobody calls a baseball player "baseball" B-)

When it comes to your actual question, there are quite many threads on this forum that cover this topic so searching those will take you far.

Guest Justin

Oh!*Whipes sweat off forehead and then smacks self*

For a second there I thought he meant it was impossible for me to join the sport. Sorry for the mispronounciation......man that's a long word. Anyway, I have found a few threads that have helped me but still none that truly answer my question. I guess the only way to find out is to simply travel to Japan.

BTW-No one ever tried to answer the question I had about the petition for entry. I've looked all over the board and can't find a thing about that.

"The question is a few replies back"

-Justin

BTW-No one ever tried to answer the question I had about the petition for entry. I've looked all over the board and can't find a thing about that.

Now you are unfair... Yubiquitoyama gave you the possible answer most of us could give, including me: Ask Daaramu, who actually WAS in Japan in a Sumō stable, preparing to become a Sumō wrestler. He pulled out, because of the brutal training I guess, but still he should be able to give some advice how to enter that world in the first place. If you don't want to wait until he discovers this thread, try the message functions of this forum.

Oh, and I'd like to say that the number of foreigners in Sumō has greatly increased since Daaramu's try, so it should be getting increasingly difficult to get in. Especially if you don't have a serious Jūdō / amateur Sumō background.

Guest Justin

I looked for him but it look's as if he hasn't been here in awhile. I was going to email him but his address is private.

(Sorry if I'm starting to become a pain)

-Justin

I looked for him but it look's as if he hasn't been here in awhile. I was going to email him but his address is private.

(Sorry if I'm starting to become a pain)

Edited by Yubiquitoyama

Actually Daaramu wanted his shikona deleted so probably he won't be logging in with that anymore. Use the email function. You probably reach him via that the best.

I haven't deleted it yet as it brings problems to searching post that carry his shikona so you can find some post he has posted and then click the "email member".

Edited by Rijicho

Guest Justin

Mabye there is someone here who knows it because it is listed as private and I tried looking for the last post that he made and couldn't find any.Darn, I have to go, I'll be back Monday....

-Justin

P.S. If someone comes up with anything just email me at thereal1wa@yahoo.com

Justin - a good while back the US / Californian SA (are there 2??)was in touch with me over something or other. At the time (last Oct / Nov perhaps) they said they were going to put a couple of Americans into Azumazeki Stable. I understand they were going to use the connection that Akebono (a visitor to their events) provided. I thought I would save them some time, money effort etc by telling them the 1 foreigner rule and that at that time (coincidentally) a new Chinese lad had been accepted - Kousei.

Having already exchanged a few mails at that point guess they didn't like the news as I never heard from them again - not a blip. Alebono isn't around much now so that one has gone too I guess.

Good to have support but I think a trip over, watch the realities of training and sumo (not only the basho) - all if you can afford it would be a great intro and would give some but not many chances to meet a few people if you are particularly industrious.

Rijicho, as we've had a couple of queries like this in recent months (Mojo, Justin) can we put up some general info for guests or new members of how to get into sumo? We could have info about the entry requirements, lifestyle in the heya, possibility of getting into judo and amateru sumo etc.

Just a thought to save duplicating the same info

Guest Justin

Hey, that would be cool. I've seen a few posts that helped me a little but having an entire forum just for that purpose would really kick ass!

-Justin

Rijicho, as we've had a couple of queries like this in recent months (Mojo, Justin) can we put up some general info for guests or new members of how to get into sumo? We could have info about the entry requirements, lifestyle in the heya, possibility of getting into judo and amateru sumo etc.

This is one of the topics that will be covered in the Pond. Mostly it will be links to old threads and suggestions of who to contact. Also some general info of how things work there as much as any non-rikishi can know it.

I've seen a few posts that helped me a little but having an entire forum just for that purpose would really kick ass!

There is hardly demand for an entire subforum for this and this is a bit wrong place for thoroughal recruitment advice anyway. Amateur sumo clubs in the neighbourhood can be found by contacting the country's amateur sumo organisation. And there are some threads where ozumo aspirations are discussed so I doubt that we have more knowledge than we have offered there.

This one has quite a bit of stuff and references to further contacts etc.

http://www.sumoforum.net/forums/index.php?...topic=2367&st=0

Guest nqyztdhr

Hi, Justin.

I'm glad to see you have enough interest in Ozumo to want to give it a shot.

To answer a few of your questions:

It does NOT cost money to join a sumobeya (excluding the price of a plane ticket).

I have no idea what a "petition for entry" would be. For a foreigner to gain entry to a sumobeya he only needs the permission of the oyakata, a visa, and to pass the entry requirements (height and weight minimums as well as basic Japanese knowledge).

--

It will indeed be difficult to get an oyakata to give you a chance. I suggest you send a letter (in Japanese if possible) to any sumobeya that does not currently have a foreign wrestler (check Moti's excellent page for this information--be warned there are only a few slots still available). Introduce yourself, describe why you want to do sumo, why you would be a good recruit, etc., and hope for the best.

--

Now I have a few questions for you:

How determined are you?

Are you doing any physical sumo training (shiko, teppo, suriashi, etc.) currently?

Do you know any Japanese?

--

Feel free to ask any more questions you may have.

Good luck.