Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

Kotoshougiku left knee

Kotoshougiku hurt the back of his left knee after falling off the dohyo after his win today. "I heard a strange sound.. I hope it's nothing," he said. Sadogatake Oyakata came to see him backstage at the baths. "He was in the bath taking his time. He says he's OK now, but we'll see the real situation in a few hours.." he said.

Edited by Kintamayama

Tremendous battle against Kisenosato. While I would agree he's hampered a bit it doesn't seem to be really bad.

Tremendous battle against Kisenosato. While I would agree he's hampered a bit it doesn't seem to be really bad.

I disagree. He had Kisenosato in the position where he usually owns him and is getting the majority of the personal 25-13 advantage. But today he plainly couldn't bump him out like he normally does and it's not like Kisenosato suddenly gained extra strength to prevent the gabburi (no one can, not even Hakuho or Baruto).

This is what I meant with "a bit hampered" that his gabburi is not as sharp.

I was prepared to hear a Fusen but with this expectation it was really a surprisingly good battle.

I think he'll continue till he gets hie eighth (which will be "donated" by some friends no doubt..) and will leave the next day.

I disagree. He had Kisenosato in the position where he usually owns him and is getting the majority of the personal 25-13 advantage. But today he plainly couldn't bump him out like he normally does and it's not like Kisenosato suddenly gained extra strength to prevent the gabburi (no one can, not even Hakuho or Baruto).

That was almost shocking. I watched him start the gabburi and figured it was all over. That Kisenosato managed to escape floored me.

Nothing is certain this basho, is it?

Edited by Kuroyama

Day 11, Harumafuji.

He won that one, but he avoided his characteristic belly bumping technique. He is hurt but found a way to cope with it.

Day 11, Harumafuji.

He won that one, but he avoided his characteristic belly bumping technique. He is hurt but found a way to cope with it.

Unless we were watching two totally different matches, he did use his characteristic belly bumps to beat Harumafuji, albeit not all the way.

The difference that I see is the angle of his movements. In the Harumafuji and also in the Kisenosato bout it was more a forward push than upward. The legs of the opponents are quite separated.

In his characteristic gaburi the opponents are much closer together, the legs are relatively close together. The pushes are more upward than forward. That pushes his opponent upright and he cannot resist. That is a lot of force for the tendons, and the thigh muscles. He apparently cannot do this right now.

In the more separated version he can use his body weight more, and he can leave his knee more straight.